By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 beat Wii this week in NA

Kasz216 said:
Oh i agree it's crazy. Just sayin that X-mas sales were expected to be lower. Of course they say that every year lately because of the US's slip economically. What they fail to realize is that most people in the US love to spend money they don't have on nonessential things even more then money they do have.

Exactly.

Around the Network
erikers said:

What's with those numbers? They're barely even different than last week. Maybe Wii is supply constrained but the other numbers? Suddenly the ps3's only going to sell 700k in december? The 360 is suddenly selling at a slower pace in december than last year?

Does anyone realize the sales on 360 for the same week last year is 276k, HIGHER than this year? Is anybody crazy enough to believe it's going to sell less this year than last after seeing the last few months of sales?

Of course 360 will sell less than last year. Last year 360 had no next-gen competition (only PS2 that I PS2 sold more than the 360).

This is the first Christmas where you can actually buy Wii (if you look for it) and PS3 so I, like I said in these forums before, I think the 360 will sell less than last year (unless total sales increase a lot, but I doubt that)

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

I'm not going to blame it all on the weather, first we'll have to see this week's sales to see if the Wii sales recover. But Washington state had a bit more rain this previous Monday 12/3 than we usually get. Causing " Several miles of Interstate Five are still closed because the highway is under water." for example.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jW-BndswWuhgPAPXOK4Q6TCQsANQD8TBAM8G1

and bad enough to be declared a disaster area by Bush.

All in all, receiving in and then shipping back out the Wii from the North Bend shipping location would have been impacted at least somewhat. (I know my commute from work to home was.)

Since the DS isn't quite as supply bound as the Wii, the weather related shipping impact on it would be less than the Wii's. Where as, if the Wii doesn't get shipped, there's no in-store inventory to sell.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

^Good post

To take what you said a step further, it is the severe federal budget deficit that is at the very core of our problems. A larger and larger % of our GDP is being used to pay the interest on our dept, which is suprisingly enough owned largely by the Chinese government. They hold our dept to stabilze there currency with ours since we are there biggest consumers.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

rudyrsr8 said:  What US economic problems? The US enemployment is just .2% above full employement our GDP is expected to rise by 4.9% whihc is larger than all of China's GDP, also the Fed just lowered interest rates allowing greater investment for the future.If you are refering to the housing burst that affects maybe one million people and these forclsures are for people trying to flip a profit on real estate speculation and deserve to lose money in the gambling with the market. Should we expect to government to share the risks for all tax payers while the profit none are seen by the tax payers no. Shut up excuse the pun if you don't know anything about economics. The US is the most stable economy atm the Euros and Chinese have the most to worry about atm. /rant 

Am I missing something?  Since when is China's GDP less than 5% of the U.S.?

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million

Around the Network

hmm, those sales figures are interesting fpr different reason. 360 : excellent sales. Their home market + good selection of games + low entry price for arcade system. The huge problem is see now, is that maybe a big proportion of the systems sold are arcades one (as seems to indicate for example amazon charts). The ones in the knowledge (early customers) know that HDD equipped xbox is a must (premium or elite) as without you can't really benefit from downloadable content much. It also screw completely fr the future any attempt from a third party dev to make any usage of HDD, as not a big enough proportion of 360 owners would have one. this may be in the medium/ long term a crucial mistake as content streaming is the way to go for bigger and bigger games with hi-res texture and no loading times. It would be good to have the breakdown between the different 360 sku. wii : supplied constrained. This one is relying on hype alone (i'm one of those thinking mario galaxy would be just as good without the remote...), and i just hope it will miss his own train. $250 for such hardware is unbeleivable. Ps3 : sales are ok, but quite distant third. The main thing is that is has reduced the gap dramaticallly, not in terms of units, but in terms of %. it's outsold by 360 by 95k units, a huge number, but only outsold 2/3 in terms of ratio, which is much better than the previous months. 2007 holiday was lost anyway, the main thing is how much lost ground ps3 will have at the end of the holidays. the price is much less of an issue, but still a barrier for the lower income revenues or no revenues at all. Selection of games has improved a lot and now, the "ps3 has no games" point will be moot (AC, COD4, UT3, R&C, Uncharted represent a pretty solid lineup imo).

rudyrsr8 said:
Kasz216 said:
erikers said:

What's with those numbers? They're barely even different than last week. Maybe Wii is supply constrained but the other numbers? Suddenly the ps3's only going to sell 700k in december? The 360 is suddenly selling at a slower pace in december than last year?

Does anyone realize the sales on 360 for the same week last year is 276k, HIGHER than this year? Is anybody crazy enough to believe it's going to sell less this year than last after seeing the last few months of sales?

Well the US has had some pretty harsh economic problem lately. Still, does seem surprising.
 What US economic problems? The US enemployment is just .2% above full employement our GDP is expected to rise by 4.9% whihc is larger than all of China's GDP, also the Fed just lowered interest rates allowing greater investment for the future.If you are refering to the housing burst that affects maybe one million people and these forclsures are for people trying to flip a profit on real estate speculation and deserve to lose money in the gambling with the market. Should we expect to government to share the risks for all tax payers while the profit none are seen by the tax payers no. Shut up excuse the pun if you don't know anything about economics. The US is the most stable economy atm the Euros and Chinese have the most to worry about atm. /rant 

Two words : over indeptedness

Sqrl said:
TheSource said:

Couple things:

2) Somewhere, I did see that Microsoft was facing some supply issues in the west, because certain skus sell out, but they overship the ones that no one buys.

2) How big of an impact are we talking for 360 sales? Negligable or actual? 360 sales seem relatively good so It would appear fairly minor if there is a measurable impact.

That was UK not US as far as I remember.

Well, either way, this is kinda trouble for the wii, if it has no supply now, how about for the rest of the year? The 360 and PS3 might outsell the wii in december because of this. Won't hurt the wii in the long run probably though.

Another thing people haven't realized when looking at the Wii shortage.

The PS2 is picking up a lot of sales from people searching in vain for a Wii. I've seen many folks snap one of those up. 6th gen is still in effect for another year as far as many buyers are concerned.

I'd say PS2 picks up more "can't find what I really want" settling sales than 360. DS may be getting some of that runoff too.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!