By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 beat Wii this week in NA

Just a theory on the Wii, but maybe Nintendo diverted a bunch from the US to Japan to coincide with the Wii Fit launch. They have to shuffle around a fixed amount of consoles, so they're juggling the holidays here and in the rest of the world and a major launch in title in Japan. They put a lot of advertising and effort into Wii Fit in Japan.

Just my thoughts, because the WW sales from last week and this week look pretty even.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

Wow Nintendo is being hurt from the perspective of potential third party support by Wii shortages, they really need to get more production going or else they'll be in trouble.

Why don't you look at the worldwide figures?

The only reason that the Wii got beaten in NA last week was because Nintendo had to increase supply in Japan (for Wii Fit), and Europe (maybe because they make more profit here than in NA due to the weak dollar).

Basically, within production limits, Nintendo can choose what sales they want each week in each territory (at least Europe and NA). I'm sure they have some smart people taking all the factors into account when directing supply on a weekly basis. Such factors are probably things such as the software release calendar, profit and competition.

According to Famitsu/VGChartz's figures:

1- The Wii is already the top selling console of this generation
2- The Wii will end up at 600k and the 360 at 400k worldwide for last week.

Couple that with the fact that outside holiday periods the Wii outsells the 360 by an even bigger margin, and you have Nintendo easily dominating any other company. Sure, more production would help, but it's naive to say that Nintendo may be in trouble.

Totally agree - US sales are 80k down and Japan is about 60k up it looks like they are diverting sales and imo they'd be stupid not to as Japan have proved recently they aren't as desperate for the Wii so why not ride the success of Wii Fit for now.   I expect next week sales for Wii in US to spikehigher as it is the last full week before Xmas and all Japans will be diverted back to US.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony