By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I think it's safe to say that kinect will push the 360 above ps3..

im sure theres people who were also saying xbox will never be overtaken, HD-DVD would outperform blu-ray and psn will never be as good as XBL.

guess what.......ps3 is closing in on xbox despite ALWAYS selling at a higher price (significantly higher compared to the lowest xbox)

HD-DVD failed, blu-ray is the worlds largest HD format.

when it comes to dedicated servers, PSN can offer far largers ones, its free, theres always upgrades, PSplus saves you a load of money (than what XBL fees save you....nothing?) and theres more people playing online on ps3 than xbox.

i personally expected ps3 to outsell xbox by the end of this year (still possible with GT5?) and its not that far off. infact it has overtaken it if you exclude all the dead and bricked consoles.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:

I don't believe it will happen in 2011 but if it does, I will propably say something like "oh".

Current sales trends are tracking in a way that have the lead being cut to zero if not by the end of 2011, then sometime early in 2012.

I think you should wait 2 week before start speaking of current trends, let's not forget that xbox outsold ps3 for almost 4 months before move released. And I suspect that the kinect effect will be VASTLY superior to the move one in terms of sales.

That aside it's a fact that at the end of this generation you'll either have the hd twins close in second place or, if kinect hits hard, you may have a PS3 distant third. Whatever happens, it will be a success for the xbox brand and a modest result for the playstation brand (taking into account initial expetations and previous generation results).

people putting so much hope on kinect are only gonna disappoint themselves. be realistic, the 360 is 5 years old now, it aint gonna magically start hammering the wii somehow this holiday just cause of kinect. 360 will have hard time outselling ps3 this holiday never mind the wii.

askel50 said:
greenmedic88 said:

I don't believe it will happen in 2011 but if it does, I will propably say something like "oh".

Current sales trends are tracking in a way that have the lead being cut to zero if not by the end of 2011, then sometime early in 2012.

I think you should wait 2 week before start speaking of current trends, let's not forget that xbox outsold ps3 for almost 4 months before move released. And I suspect that the kinect effect will be VASTLY superior to the move one in terms of sales.

That aside it's a fact that at the end of this generation you'll either have the hd twins close in second place or, if kinect hits hard, you may have a PS3 distant third. Whatever happens, it will be a success for the xbox brand and a modest result for the playstation brand (taking into account initial expetations and previous generation results).

Aside from all the PS3 has going for it, a price cut would trample everything you just said.

PS3 Will Be King By 2016.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

We'll be having a new thread with this exact same topic next November.

Edit: Oops I wasn't paying attention and thought I was posting in the thread about when will PS3 overtake 360.

Around the Network

in game.es kinect debuts at nº 3, behind both COD version

PS3 hard is at number 16, 360bundle at 37th, ds at 38 and red wii at 19

Legend11 said:

We'll be having a new thread with this exact same topic next November.

I disagree. It's my strong belief that Kinect will be a hit! .. For kids and no more (ok maybe girlfriends too), just like the Eyetoy was.

If this turns out to be the case, then we could be looking at the final round between these 2 consoles next year.

PS3 Will Be King By 2016.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

fps_d0minat0r said:

when people realise kinect isnt practical or fun it will die out.

kinect also wont have support because developers know theres more money to be made on standard titles. in the case of ps move, all they have to do is adapt the game with move controls because it supports basically every genre the dualshock can.

the ps move is there for the long run but i think it needs a lot more exclusive games like sorcery to become a console seller rather than an alternative to dualshock for existing ps3 users.

First, I agree that move is a great implementation of a pointer based controller and that it will provide lots of value to PS3 owners. That being said Move and Kinect are totally different experiences.

We have had our Kinect for four days and from the time we first played it was obvious that it is really what they advertised, a new experience and a lot of fun. We have had several families over to show them because we have had so much fun with it. Every adult and child that has played it has really enjoyed it and been amazed at how well it works. Everyone has compared it to how it felt playing the wii for the first time, a whole new experience. Every one has left talking about buying it for the family for Christmas, though the space needed is going to be an issue for one family we know.

I agree you have a point about practical issues with space for some people, though overall I think you have it backwards, people are going to realize the Kinect is very fun and word of mouth is going to be great. It is the close minded people that have not given it a chance that are in for the realization that their assumptions were wrong.

askel50 said:
greenmedic88 said:

Neither HD console is likely to end up a distant third.  For starters neither has enough dominance geographically and even with Kinect/Move there's no getting around the fact each - particularly the 360 - has been in the market a while and there are signs we are moving past the software peak for the consoles.

360 dominance is skewed to US/UK while PS3 is stronger EMEA as a whole and Japan.  Neither Kinect nor Move I believe will be successful enough to overturn the current status that much worldwide.  Kinect will be a success and push 360 particularly in US, Move will likely be a success and help PS3 in EMEA.  Move will sell decent enough in US even allowing for Kinect, same with Kinect in EMEA.

Outside of this both have strong third party developer support now plus each has decent exclusives still coming down the pipe.

In short, I think anyone expecting Kinect or Move would tip the scales massively one way or the other will probably be disappointed.  You'd need to see an absolutely unhead of response - and each has enough challenges to prevent this, Move being more of a Wii too and positioned solidly as a peripheral whereas Kinect currently is more expensive and needs more space as well as being incomplete from an interface perspective.

The HD consoles have really been close all along, and any percieved advantage has simply been a short lived period of exceptional sales that is then matched by the other console at a different time.

Fans of both need to realize that apples for apples each HD console is going to end up close worldwide and while there will be a nominal 'winner' it's not going to be any kind of definitive, miles ahead victory on either side.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

It really does depend on whether the people buying kinect are new adopters or whether they're the current fanbase. imo its too early to call.