By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
rocketpig said:
It's going to take Sony awhile to be able to get the temp down low enough to offer slim PS3s. IBM's Power6 architecture is white-hot and the process will have to get down to 32nm before they can even consider slimming down that heat-box.

So, consider it EXTREMELY unlikely that we'll see a PS3 Slim within the next 20 months. 32nm is still a ways away (at least for IBM architecture).

Of course, the same principle applies to the 360. It is also based on Power6.

It's going to be late 2009 before we'll see 32nm chips on the 360.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/could-xbox-360-use-32nm-chips-in-09/18811/?biz=1 

Around the Network

Hmmm you post this for XBOX 360.

9) If Sony drops price again will 360 be outsold - routinely - by PS3 worldwide?

Why no post for PS3

9) If MS drops 360 price will PS3 again be grossly oversold by the 360?

In all likelyhood MS is in a far better position to cut the price of the 360 to boost sales. There is a good chance that the 360 Arcade will be $199 when GTA IV releases.

I am glad you didnt bring up Killzone 2. It is nuts to me how much that game which is a sequel to a game that did not create a big following is thought of as a system seller.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

All answers are not accurate, and are mainly quick, estimates. Please correct me if you see any definite mistakes, and give your opinion on the entire list.

1) Smash sales in Japan

High.

2) Wii Fit sales in America: High

High.

3) E3. The big hand has been played, Smash, Mario, Zelda, Wii Sports, Wii Fit. What else does Nintendo have up its sleeve?

Brawl, Kart. Pikmin 3?, Another Donkey Kong, Mario, and Zelda? New franchises.

4) Shipment forecasts. Can Nintendo make 20-25 million Wiis a year?

Yes.

5) Third Party Million Sellers. Wii has three currently. How many more will be added?

About 15.

6) Price cuts?

No.

7) Square-Enix. Will Square-Enix offer major, non-side story games for Wii? The Monster Hunter announcement could be a preview of what is to come, or an exception.

Yes.

8) Early year supply. If Nintendo wants to keep outselling Microsoft in the west, it will probably ship more units than it really can in December, and will probably be all but tapped out by March, after Smash/Wii Fit.

Wont be tapped out after Smash, and Fit.

9) Profit. Will Nintendo beat its profit projections?

Yes.

10) Can the Wii achieve DS-Japan like success in the West (i.e. one out of 6 Japanese people owning DS in three years) ? 2008 will be telling in this regard.

Yes.

Ten Things to Watch (DS)

1) When will DS hit the wall in Japan? Can it sell another 5+ million units in 2008?

Near the end of its life, which may be when a successor to the DS comes out.

2) DQIX sales in Japan

Medium.

3) Nintendogs. Will it ever stop selling?

Not until the DS dies.

4) Shipment forecast. Up or down? 2007 may be the peak year for DS, but we'll see

Slightly up.

5) Successor announced?

Not yet. iRiver G10 may be released.

6) Price drop?

No.

7) Recent PSP Japanese sales a symbol of stronger competition late in life?

No.

8) Piracy concerns.

For all the consoles, yes.

9) 3rd party million sellers. DS has 10. How many more in 2008?

About 5.

10) How will the DS game download station impact software sales.

If it does, it wont be by very much.

Ten Things to Watch (Xbox 360)

1) Hardware sales. Was 2007 the peak year?

Yes.

2) Software sales - will 360 remain strong for 3rd party games?

Yes.

3) Proftiability. Can Microsoft stay profitable (in this sector) following the Halo 3 revenue boost?

No.

4) Japan. How close will Xbox 360 be to 1,000,000 by the end of 2008?

It will surpass one-milllion, before the end of 2008.

5) Others. Will 360 begin to sell well outside the UK/Ireland/Australia/New Zealand region?

Yes.

6) GTA IV. How well does that game sell when its combined base at launch will likely be ~25-28 million.

Will not be 25-28 million. Game will not sell as much as its predecessors, on either the Xbox 360, or Playstation 3.

7) Banjo. How well can that sell to the 360 demographic? Will it help in Japan? Banjo Kazooie launched for N64 in 1998 in Japan and sold 400k by the end of the year.

It will definitely boost the sales of the console, and will help sales in Japan.

8) Holiday games. Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc were all 2007 releases. What will be the big holiday 08' release?

Banjo, Mario Kart, Metal Gear Solid 4, GTA 4...

9) If Sony drops price again will 360 be outsold - routinely - by PS3 worldwide?

No.

10) Will Wii pass Xbox 360 be passed by Wii - LTD - in the USA by the end of 2008?

Yes.

Ten Thing to Watch (PS3)

1) With the $400 price point now worldwide, what will be the new minimal threshold for PS3 in 2008, after the holidays? This year, it was in the high 50,000s post Euro-launch, in summer.

Playstation 3 sales will increase.

2) Will PS3 outsell Xbox 360 worldwide most weeks?

No.

3) How well can GTA do on an expensive console with 9-11 million users at launch?

Neither good, nor bad.

4) True release dates for FFXIII?

Within 2009.

5) Will publishers continue to support PS3? Only 12 games have sold over 500,000 for the system to date.

Yes.

6) How will Home be recieved? Little Big Planet?

Both will do well.

7) Can Sony 'refresh' PS3 in Japan as it did with PSP in 2007?

Yes.

8) Will the model madness continue? 80gig/60gig/40gig/20gig - all in launch year. Does that mean another four models in 2008?

No more models.

9) Will Sony revise its shipment forecasts up or down?

Neither.

10) Will PS3 break even/profit for Sony as PS2 sales decline?

No.

Ten things to Watch (PSP)

1) Will sales stay about 40,000 per week in Japan after the holidays?

Yes.

2) Will software sales increase?

No.

3) Will the piracy concerns be addressed?

Yes.

4) New PSP announced?

No.

5) Price drop?

Yes.

6) Will PSP get more significant exclusive games?

Yes.

7) 3rd parties - PSP has 9 third party million sellers currently. How many more are coming in 2008?

About 3.

8) Will the non gaming features be expanded?

Yes.

9) Will we hear more of the ever rumoured PS Phone?

No.

10) What will happen to the UMD format?

It will die.

Ten Things to Watch (PS2)

1) Will PS2 sales finally drop below 5,000,000 units worldwide in 2008?

No.

2) Will PS2 be outsold by Xbox 360 and PS3 in 2008? In 2007 overall, PS2 outsold Xbox 360 and PS3.

Yes.

3) How will publishers adapt and react to PS2's declinining software sales?

Most exclusives will move to Wii. Some exclusives will move to Xbox 360, and Playstation 3.

4) Where will the middle of the road games (not the sports/casual gamer and not the hardcore gamer) go when they move on from PS2?

Wii.

5) Price cut?

Yes.

6) What platform benefits most from PS2 not taking development resources?

Movie games.

7) How many units have been shipped vs. sold by the end of 2008?

6 million.

8) Should Activision continue to support PS2 with games like Guitar Hero 4?

No.

9) Will PS2 continue to outsell 360 in Europe?

No.

10) Are there any significant exclusive games to be released for PS2 for the late, late adopters?

No.

cool48 said:
Harvey Birdman said:
I think Sony needs to make a new version of the PSP with a second control stick and offer a slimmed PS3 in late 2008.

Two analog sticks on the PSP would mean a new system since games made for the PSP with two sticks would not be supported by the other PSPs.

Not true, simply allow button mapping to the analog stick. Keep making the games how they have been. So for those FPS psp games allow the 2nd analog stick to map the D-Pad when you have the D-Pad as your aiming setup. Would be an awesome new redesign if you ask me. Would make a lot of the games that are out far more interesting to play. The current design more or less kills FPS games for the PSP.

thx1138 said:

Why no post for PS3

In all likelyhood MS is in a far better position to cut the price of the 360 to boost sales. There is a good chance that the 360 Arcade will be $199 when GTA IV releases.

I am glad you didnt bring up Killzone 2. It is nuts to me how much that game which is a sequel to a game that did not create a big following is thought of as a system seller.

In all likelihood MS is not in a better position to lower price.  They are still more or less in the same boat as Sony as far as losing money.  Halo 3 was the only reason they broke the negative last time and it was from Software sales.  Not to mention the ever falling costs of Blu-ray drives and the Cell because of mass manufacturing I seriously doubt Sony as losing as much as people believe on the current PS3 models.

And Killzone 1 wasn't a bad game.  It was honestly just over ambitious for what the PS2 was actually capable of doing.  And do you really believe with the massive amount of coverage its gotten as far as the graphics that if the game even manages to average 8~9's from reviewers that this game won't sell systems??  

GTA IV could define the generation.

Prediction: Whoever sells more next December will win the generation.

Around the Network
DongHungLong said:
cool48 said:
Harvey Birdman said:
I think Sony needs to make a new version of the PSP with a second control stick and offer a slimmed PS3 in late 2008.

Two analog sticks on the PSP would mean a new system since games made for the PSP with two sticks would not be supported by the other PSPs.

Not true, simply allow button mapping to the analog stick. Keep making the games how they have been. So for those FPS psp games allow the 2nd analog stick to map the D-Pad when you have the D-Pad as your aiming setup. Would be an awesome new redesign if you ask me. Would make a lot of the games that are out far more interesting to play. The current design more or less kills FPS games for the PSP.

thx1138 said:

Why no post for PS3

In all likelihood MS is not in a better position to lower price.  They are still more or less in the same boat as Sony as far as losing money.  Halo 3 was the only reason they broke the negative last time and it was from Software sales.  Not to mention the ever falling costs of Blu-ray drives and the Cell because of mass manufacturing I seriously doubt Sony as losing as much as people believe on the current PS3 models.

And Killzone 1 wasn't a bad game.  It was honestly just over ambitious for what the PS2 was actually capable of doing.  And do you really believe with the massive amount of coverage its gotten as far as the graphics that if the game even manages to average 8~9's from reviewers that this game won't sell systems??  

Do people realize that the 360 in over 2 years has dropped the price

$20 on the lowest price model

$50 on the mid priced model

$30 on the highest price model

What console has ever done that? The only reason the 360 was reduced that little was how poor the PS3 was doing. MS surely planned on dropping more, but didnt have to. They will make a strategic price drop in 2008.

As for KZ2 graphics alone will not make it a system seller. By the time it comes out how many great looking games will there be? How much an improvement will KZ be (If any)?

Libraries sell systems not individual games

thx1138 said:

As for KZ2 graphics alone will not make it a system seller. By the time it comes out how many great looking games will there be? How much an improvement will KZ be (If any)?

Killzone 2 is most likely a money-hole for Sony. Fine by me, they're dumping money into Europe (Netherlands in this case) which is always good for the economy here.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NeoRatt said:
GTA IV could define the generation.

Prediction: Whoever sells more next December will win the generation.

I think this was true in October of this year, but next year in Feb-March when it comes out it will no longer be "the" determining factor it could have been in October. 

It will still be huge, of that I have no doubt....

To Each Man, Responsibility

2008 will be completely about momentum. 

To kick things off, there will be no new consoles or major redesigns next year.  Yes, the PS2 gets lighter and MS and Sony will continue to reduce the costs for their respective consoles.  And yes, we may see some new skus from all the major players, especially Nintendo with a DVD playing Wii.  But in the end there will be nothing from a design standpoint that will drive sales.  So what will?

First and foremost, the games.  There are some heavy hitters in 2008.  A few known and many unknowns.  It's a given that Nintendo will continue to milk their franchises (SSB, Mario Kart, etc.) and also their non-games (Wii Fit, Music, etc.).  And both the 360 and PS3 will get GTA IV.  Gears of War 2 should be ready by the end of the year and hopefully Konami can deliver MGS4.  If you thought 2007 was great, you ain't seen nothing yet!

And then we have the price cuts.  It's not an if, but a when and how much for all the players in 2008.  Nintendo cannot price its machine more than a base 360.  And while it may hurt the bottom line a bit, both MS and Sony need to continue to push the price of entry down on their respective machines.  This is especially important for the PS3 as it costs the most right now even though it may also provide the greatest value with the included Blu-ray player.

And the wild card is supply.  When will the Wii shortages stop in the US?  The public has put up with Nintendo's excuses for over a year now.  It's time for them to either shape up or the public will go elsewhere. 

I started working on replies to The Source's statements but ran out of steam.  Here are my thoughts on the Wii, DS, and 360:

Wii 

1) I'm not sure about Brawl's sales potential anymore.  Traditional software has not done as well as expected lately.

2) Wii Fit has potential but is it coming out too late in the year?  (Many resolve to work out at the start of the year.)  And the supplies of the game and systems could put a damper on sales.  So could price.

3) No need to worry about this.  Nintendo has plenty of games left.  They always do.

4) Nintendo can make 20M Wiis in a year.  But is that enough?  Or could there be a glut come the middle of the year?

5) Not as many as first party ones, that's for sure.

6) Yes, as noted above the Wii's price will move in tandem with MS.

7) S-E is not as important as the other third parties.  I'm more interested to see if Capcom and Konami take the system more seriously in 2008.

8) Demand has already slowed down a bit in all but the Americas.  Expect Nintendo to shift it's focus on where systems are needed.  And expect system to continue to flow at a rate of at least 1M a month.

9) Absolutely.  No question there.

10) No.  The DS phenomenon is unique especially since many households have more than one DS. 

DS

1) System sales have already started to slow down in Japan, but they're still strong.  The system should push at least 4M in 2008, and a redesign in 2009 will help prevent sales from falling further.

2) Like I said about Brawl, not as much as people expect.  But they should be solid.

3) Yes and No.  Sales are way up due to bundling this holiday season.  But they should be lower in 2008.

4) Same shipments, but the focus will shift to outside of Japan.  A price cut could help especially with the death of the GameBoy Advance.

5) No announcements about a DS2.  No major redesign of the current model.  New colors... of course.

6) Probable.  Especially if the PSP gets another one.

7) The PSP has always been a solid system.  I still don't understand why the huge spike in sales in Japan over the resign, however.

8) It's always been there, but the R4 and others have posed the greatest threat yet to Nintendo.  Expect more legal action and maybe a firmware upgrade for the Lite.

9) That really depends on what they bring out.  Some developers seem to get the system and others not to much.  With an ever expanding user base (maybe 80M by the end of 2008), there certainly should be a lot more.

10) The "download station" is only for demos at the moment.  Are you suggesting that Nintendo will bring out full games to the DS through online DLs?  I don't seeing such a service having much of an impact at this point in time.

Xbox 360

1) Sadly, yes.  Though 2008 should be a close second.

2) If the third parties continue to delver what the user base wants, then sure.

3) Profitability will remain challenging, but the services and downloads will help the revenue stream significantly.

4) Not how close, how much more than 1M by the end of the year.  Especially if the PS3 loses a key exclusive or two.

5) I don't see the 360 really changing its sales patterns too much next year.

6) Will of course sell better on the 360 than the PS3, but sales will be limited due to the user base.

7) If it comes out in 2008, Banjo will not have a major impact.

8) Gears 2, Guitar Hero IV, Alan Wake, and hey maybe even Too Human!

9) Only if MS doesn't respond back.  They may have lost Japan, and are losing ground in Europe, but Sony will probably never take the Americas back.

10) Yes, the Wii's LTS will surpass the Xbox 360's in the US by the end of 2008.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

On GTA4: This game will single handedly destroy the PS3. It will be massive on the 360, with extra content and a cheaper console. 360 already has a positive buzz, with Halo 3, BioShock and Gears of war, all games that appeal to a huge part of the PS2 owners that will make the step to current-gen with GTA4. Sony doesn't have anything to offer once the game arrives (maybe MGS4 will be there) that comes close to 360's amazing line-up.
If MS is smart they lower the price before GTA4. Sony cannot match that because of angry shareholders.

LBP: I dont think it will be massive, it will be more like a cult game. Something for the fans, not casuals.

Smash Bros: Be prepared for Wii sell outs
Wii fit: see previous
Mario Kart: Same, same

FF: Not in 2008

Wii 3rd parties: gradually more quality games will come, but no 360 like level.

360 will keep outselling PS3 ww next year.