By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why is Uncharted 2 so good

Scoobes said:
freebs2 said:

UC2 was a good game but it's very far form perfect I whould give it an 8.5, maybe a 9 counting the multiplayer.... the prodution standards are on top level but I don't understand why the gameplay is considered so good....the platfrom parts are almost "on-rails", there is no air control or timing involved. (except maybe a couple of exceptions)

The action parts felt to me like a poor version of Gears Of War, with a lower variety of enemies and weapons, less precise controls and worse level design (in GeOW, when the games get more difficult it generally means more  and stronger enemies, in UC2 it usually mean less covers, not to mention that in UC2, when you arrive in a new area, often you die the 1st time because you don't know where enemies are coming from, that's something that never happens on GeOW).

It sounds like you're approaching the gameplay of Uncharted 2 with the same mindset as Gears which is probably why you were struggling. Gears is heavily focused on cover and shoot gunplay and hence the mechanics are streamlined for that purpose.

With Uncharted 2, you have to remember gunplay is only 40% of the game. It's also 40% platforming and 20% stealth. When you approach an area for the first time you have to be far more tactical and the platforming also offers an extra layer to the action. When all elements are incorporated together the level design is actually superb and you'll have far more fun. Also, you not knowing where enemies are suggests the AI is good, which is a plus.

I noted that, in the begginning of the game, the way you approach the enemy, has indeed a great impact on the action, but I had the feeling that this kind action is gradually abandoned proceding throgh the game, rendering the shooting-action more linear and restrictive, (in fact I think that, in gameplay terms the first part of the game is the best)...but that may be just a problem of mine.

However my problem wasn't caused by IA, infact afer the first try I knew where they were coming off...

@Cgi-quality

About my issue with enemies coming out, I believe it may be mainly a problem of mine, maybe because, as Scoobes here says, I approched the battle with the wrong mindset...but I'm not the only one, two friends of mine who have played the game before me, had similar problems excpecially in specific parts of the game like when drake is chased by the tank.

Around the Network
Tanstalas said:
CGI-Quality said:
freebs2 said:

UC2 was a good game but it's very far form perfect I whould give it an 8.5, maybe a 9 counting the multiplayer.... the prodution standards are on top level but I don't understand why the gameplay is considered so good....the platfrom parts are almost "on-rails", there is no air control or timing involved. (except maybe a couple of exceptions)

The action parts felt to me like a poor version of Gears Of War, with a lower variety of enemies and weapons, less precise controls and worse level design (in GeOW, when the games get more difficult it generally means more  and stronger enemies, in UC2 it usually mean less covers, not to mention that in UC2, when you arrive in a new area, often you die the 1st time because you don't know where enemies are coming from, that's something that never happens on GeOW).

That sounds like a problem to a specific player, not a problem overall. I never had such a problem.

freebs2 - you definitely never ever want to play Demon's Souls :P

I have no problems with difficult games...but there different ways of making a game difficult, In a game like uncharted, where ideally the most of the difficult relies equally on aiming skills and action/planning that just doesn't feel right imo. However not everyone had that kind of problem with UC2.

Uncharted 2 is a good game because Naughty Dog knows how to do it's job and they do it well.

1. ) Action - Set Pieces
2. ) Great Characters
3. ) Great Voice Acting  
4. ) Gorgeous Graphics
5. ) Addictive Multi - Player

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

I just like the relatable characters, and the "fun" story line. Also, it's like watching a good action movie, but you are the actor!

Around the Network
iBlah said:
Squilliam said:

If you make a cinematic game you get cinematic rules to go along with it.

1. and what exactly are "cinematic rules"?? It can be as close to a movie as it gets but its still a game and you have to play it, in order to play it you have to go along with "gaming mechanical rules". and even movies are usually far off from reality

Given the fact that the cutscenes are as long as a typical movie you can't skirt the basics of cinema.

2. you do realise that a movie is usually around 60-90 minutes, and video games are 6-8 hours long on average, if you count the cutscene time then majority of the games are "cinematic" , hell, MGS will be a freaking TV show.

If your audience cannot suspend disbelief due to how the story is portrayed then it is a bad movie.

true, but what if the VAST MAJORITY do believe its a good movie while a handful few don't??

Uncharted 2 only gets away with this because it is only compared against other terrible stories in other cinematic games.

3. in which case, name me a few good "cinematic games" that have good (and realistic) stories

1. Things like continuity. You need continuity between gameplay and cutscenes. Uncharted 2 breaks this continuity. The story in cutscenes follows a different ruleset to the way to game is played.

2. Not many games have an hour and a half of full motion video.

3. There aren't really any good examples. Uncharted 2 is the best basketball player in the special olympics so within a field of diminished capacity it is the best but nowhere near the level overall of professional basketballers.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

1. Things like continuity. You need continuity between gameplay and cutscenes. Uncharted 2 breaks this continuity. The story in cutscenes follows a different ruleset to the way to game is played.

3. There aren't really any good examples. Uncharted 2 is the best basketball player in the special olympics so within a field of diminished capacity it is the best but nowhere near the level overall of professional basketballers.

1. Did you even read my post?? its a game and its needs to be played. how do you define the continuity?? Drake should be immortal during cutscene because he can take bullets during gameplay, or Drake should die from one shot during gameplay because he can't take a bullet during cutscene?? CANONICALLY Drake( or any other heroes from shooter game) does not suppose to get shot during gameplay, but it has to be PLAYED and that how the challenge is layed. By your logic most zombie games are utterly crap because the characters were biten by zombie multiple times during gameplay and yet they did not get infected during cutscenes.

2. oh, how about FFXIII, I'm pretty sure it has more than 90 minutes cutscene, should it also be judged by "movie rules"?? And because a 10 hours long game has 90 minutes cutscene so it has to follow the "movie rules" and ignore the rule for games? that makes perfecct sense.

3. Again you did not answer my question. what is a professional baskerballer then?? if you can't find one then you have to admit Uncharted 2 is the best, and if you think all games are bad in that way then the problem is with yourself.

Squilliam said:
Doobie_wop said:
Squilliam said:

To sum it up in one sentence, low expectations. If you saw a movie with a story like Uncharted at the theatre, chances are you wouldn't buy the DVD.

The expectations were extremely high, I don't know what industry you've been following...

The story in Uncharted 2 is as good, if not better than every other Hollywood adventure blockbuster. Once again, I don't know what industry you've been following, because nearly every smash hit movie to come out in the last ten years has an abysmal storyline. People bought Avatar, Transformers, Twilight and The Expendables, so I can't see why anyone wouldn't buy a movie with Uncharted 2's storyline.

Big words for Uncharted... Anyway im about to go to bed so like I will say this one thing.

Nathan Drake gets shot between 50 and 20,000 times depending on how good you are. One bullet actually does any damage to him. To actually call something which has that abberation in it a good storyline would require a childlike suspension of disbelief. Im pretty sure if Dora the explorer was a big budget game, a lot of people could call it the 2nd best story behind Uncharted 2.

well often in the action movies it has in it's heart they main character gets missed by all those bullets except for the one or two shots that do hit.  And playing on crushing it's much closer to the 50 if not lower than the 20,000. :P

iBlah said:
Squilliam said:

1. Did you even read my post?? its a game and its needs to be played. how do you define the continuity?? Drake should be immortal during cutscene because he can take bullets during gameplay, or Drake should die from one shot during gameplay because he can't take a bullet during cutscene?? CANONICALLY Drake( or any other heroes from shooter game) does not suppose to get shot during gameplay, but it has to be PLAYED and that how the challenge is layed. By your logic most zombie games are utterly crap because the characters were biten by zombie multiple times during gameplay and yet they did not get infected during cutscenes.

2. oh, how about FFXIII, I'm pretty sure it has more than 90 minutes cutscene, should it also be judged by "movie rules"?? And because a 10 hours long game has 90 minutes cutscene so it has to follow the "movie rules" and ignore the rule for games? that makes perfecct sense.

3. Again you did not answer my question. what is a professional baskerballer then?? if you can't find one then you have to admit Uncharted 2 is the best, and if you think all games are bad in that way then the problem is with yourself.

1. They designed the game to not have loading screens which is why Drake jumps down into places he cannot get back out of and why he stares at rock faces for so long in game time. The simple logic is if he never appears to get hurt during gameplay then don't let him get shot during a cutscene. If they can make accomodations due to gameplay for technical reasons they can make accomodations to the storyline for gameplay reasons. The closer a game is to being realistic the more people expect the game to be realistic in all ways.

2. Never played FFXIII

3. Being the best in a bad field doesn't prove Uncharted 2 is good in absolute terms only that its better than games which are even worse.

Tease.

Flameshield: On

Because it's a PS3 exclusive. if exactly the same games had been multiplatform he will have praise, but not that much.

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.