By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why is Uncharted 2 so good

UC2 was a good game but it's very far form perfect I whould give it an 8.5, maybe a 9 counting the multiplayer.... the prodution standards are on top level but I don't understand why the gameplay is considered so good....the platfrom parts are almost "on-rails", there is no air control or timing involved. (except maybe a couple of exceptions)

The action parts felt to me like a poor version of Gears Of War, with a lower variety of enemies and weapons, less precise controls and worse level design (in GeOW, when the games get more difficult it generally means more  and stronger enemies, in UC2 it usually mean less covers, not to mention that in UC2, when you arrive in a new area, often you die the 1st time because you don't know where enemies are coming from, that's something that never happens on GeOW).

Around the Network
cr00mz said:
IMU1808 said:

SMG has the most amazing, realistic and original story ever. PRINCESS PEACH GETS KIDNAPPED... RESCUE HER.

i dont think anyone has ever praised the story in mario games.

Exactly.

CGI-Quality said:
freebs2 said:

UC2 was a good game but it's very far form perfect I whould give it an 8.5, maybe a 9 counting the multiplayer.... the prodution standards are on top level but I don't understand why the gameplay is considered so good....the platfrom parts are almost "on-rails", there is no air control or timing involved. (except maybe a couple of exceptions)

The action parts felt to me like a poor version of Gears Of War, with a lower variety of enemies and weapons, less precise controls and worse level design (in GeOW, when the games get more difficult it generally means more  and stronger enemies, in UC2 it usually mean less covers, not to mention that in UC2, when you arrive in a new area, often you die the 1st time because you don't know where enemies are coming from, that's something that never happens on GeOW).

That sounds like a problem to a specific player, not a problem overall. I never had such a problem.

2x I never had such a problem.

IMU1808 said:
cr00mz said:
IMU1808 said:

SMG has the most amazing, realistic and original story ever. PRINCESS PEACH GETS KIDNAPPED... RESCUE HER.

Exactly.

no need to get so defensive about "your favorite game" being trash talked

ethomaz said:
CGI-Quality said:
freebs2 said:

That sounds like a problem to a specific player, not a problem overall. I never had such a problem.

3x

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Beuli2 said:
Feylic said:

To sum it up in one sentence, great game that lived up to all expectations. If you saw a movie with a story like Uncharted at the theatre, chances are you would already own 3 copies of the DVD, and 2 Blu-rays.

What the hell? WHo would buy 3 DVDs and 2 Blu Rays of the same movie?  And no, it din't live to all my expectations. You're just saying as you are everybody and therefore everyone liked it. I already said that it has zero replay value but no one listens and continues to discuss other things just to see if everyone forgets about what I said and ignore the flaws the game has.

zero replay value to you, but to most people replaying with different difficulty levels makes the game different enough to be worth a few goes.  I've personally played it through about 4 times: one normal, one hard, and twice on crushing.  I would say U2 has as much or more replay value than your average linear game. 

Not to mention the online cooperative and competitive multiplayer which adds on to the value of the game.

Dude I play the online of U2 every damn day with 8 friends. Get the fk out with no replay value >_>. (Aimed for the one above the quoted)

Ajescent said:
ethomaz said:
CGI-Quality said:
freebs2 said:

3x

4x

cr00mz said:
IMU1808 said:
cr00mz said:
IMU1808 said:

Exactly.

no need to get so defensive about "your favorite game" being trash talked

O_O.... ROFL!! 

I was one of the first people on this forum to claim U2 was disappointing, dude. It's a good game but far from being in my top 5 this gen.

Uncharted 2 is good because it IMPROVES on the original like a sequel should. Is it a Tomb Raider rip off??? kinda but its a better game than any Tomb Raider and thats all that matters. better gunplay, controls that dont suck, lot less boring puzzles. I didnt think there was much problem with the first one, but in the sequel they fixed the controls and made a multiplayer game that did not suck.

Squilliam said:
Doobie_wop said:
Squilliam said:

To sum it up in one sentence, low expectations. If you saw a movie with a story like Uncharted at the theatre, chances are you wouldn't buy the DVD.

The expectations were extremely high, I don't know what industry you've been following...

The story in Uncharted 2 is as good, if not better than every other Hollywood adventure blockbuster. Once again, I don't know what industry you've been following, because nearly every smash hit movie to come out in the last ten years has an abysmal storyline. People bought Avatar, Transformers, Twilight and The Expendables, so I can't see why anyone wouldn't buy a movie with Uncharted 2's storyline.

Big words for Uncharted... Anyway im about to go to bed so like I will say this one thing.

Nathan Drake gets shot between 50 and 20,000 times depending on how good you are. One bullet actually does any damage to him. To actually call something which has that abberation in it a good storyline would require a childlike suspension of disbelief. Im pretty sure if Dora the explorer was a big budget game, a lot of people could call it the 2nd best story behind Uncharted 2.

Wow, thats pure crap.

To say that is like saying harry potter is a bad story,(which it might be in your opinion.) because he uses magic and gets hit by magic spells several times, or that saying Halo has a bad story,(yea i know its not the best to begin with but im using as example.) because you get shot, infact you get shot alot more in halo then uncharted.

Infact if you wouldn't mind telling me a movie or game with a good 100% realistic to life story, id be glad to play/watch it.

Smart Men answer questions, Wise men ask questions.
Gamers play games, True Gamers support Gaming