By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why is Uncharted 2 so good

iBlah said:
Squilliam said:
Doobie_wop said:
Squilliam said:

To sum it up in one sentence, low expectations. If you saw a movie with a story like Uncharted at the theatre, chances are you wouldn't buy the DVD.

The expectations were extremely high, I don't know what industry you've been following...

The story in Uncharted 2 is as good, if not better than every other Hollywood adventure blockbuster. Once again, I don't know what industry you've been following, because nearly every smash hit movie to come out in the last ten years has an abysmal storyline. People bought Avatar, Transformers, Twilight and The Expendables, so I can't see why anyone wouldn't buy a movie with Uncharted 2's storyline.

Big words for Uncharted... Anyway im about to go to bed so like I will say this one thing.

Nathan Drake gets shot between 50 and 20,000 times depending on how good you are. One bullet actually does any damage to him. To actually call something which has that abberation in it a good storyline would require a childlike suspension of disbelief. Im pretty sure if Dora the explorer was a big budget game, a lot of people could call it the 2nd best story behind Uncharted 2.

oh really, now we're nitpicking video games using real life logic?? in that case 95% games have the same "aberration": they're all fictional.

so what Nathan Drake gets shot at alot and live, so does every single character in any single game that involves gunplay other than Operation Flashpoint. If you take the story canonically then Nathan Drake does not suppose to get shot by these bullets at all (e.g. eye of Indra), but you don't watch it, you play it, its a shooter game and thats how shooter games play out.

Edit: Like CGI said we all know you're distasteful of Sony games, and you're entitled to your own opinion, but at least don't make comments that are overly absurd and trollish, "low expectations", seriously?? after the string of awards it won at both E3 and GamesCon???

If you make a cinematic game you get cinematic rules to go along with it. Given the fact that the cutscenes are as long as a typical movie you can't skirt the basics of cinema. If your audience cannot suspend disbelief due to how the story is portrayed then it is a bad movie. Uncharted 2 only gets away with this because it is only compared against other terrible stories in other cinematic games.

Tease.

Around the Network
freebs2 said:

UC2 was a good game but it's very far form perfect I whould give it an 8.5, maybe a 9 counting the multiplayer.... the prodution standards are on top level but I don't understand why the gameplay is considered so good....the platfrom parts are almost "on-rails", there is no air control or timing involved. (except maybe a couple of exceptions)

The action parts felt to me like a poor version of Gears Of War, with a lower variety of enemies and weapons, less precise controls and worse level design um... no (in GeOW, when the games get more difficult it generally means more  and stronger enemies, in UC2 it usually mean less  fewer covers, not to mention that in UC2 also entirely untrue. What is generally construes, is more complicated environments with enemies coming from more angles; requiring better tactics and swifter deaths, when you arrive in a new area, often you die the 1st time because you don't know where enemies are coming from I did not have this issue when playing on crushing, that's something that never happens on GeOW).

In terms of raw shooting and off-line co-op, Gears of War 2 edges it, but Uncharted 2 literally wins in every other area. The reason its gameplay is the best on the market is because of the great level design, and the way traversal gameplay and shooting are melded together to create a much more tactical and interesting experience

Add into that the best graphics on consoles, the best story with the best characters and the near perfect pacing, and you have the best game ever. It really does spoil every other game, especially with its really addictive multiplayer, which ND are supporting really well with things like the lab and twists on classic game modes, such as snipers and pistoles, my favourite online game mode

In short, Uncharted 2 just wins over every other game

Squilliam said:
iBlah said:
Squilliam said:
Doobie_wop said:
Squilliam said:

To sum it up in one sentence, low expectations. If you saw a movie with a story like Uncharted at the theatre, chances are you wouldn't buy the DVD.

The expectations were extremely high, I don't know what industry you've been following...

The story in Uncharted 2 is as good, if not better than every other Hollywood adventure blockbuster. Once again, I don't know what industry you've been following, because nearly every smash hit movie to come out in the last ten years has an abysmal storyline. People bought Avatar, Transformers, Twilight and The Expendables, so I can't see why anyone wouldn't buy a movie with Uncharted 2's storyline.

Big words for Uncharted... Anyway im about to go to bed so like I will say this one thing.

Nathan Drake gets shot between 50 and 20,000 times depending on how good you are. One bullet actually does any damage to him. To actually call something which has that abberation in it a good storyline would require a childlike suspension of disbelief. Im pretty sure if Dora the explorer was a big budget game, a lot of people could call it the 2nd best story behind Uncharted 2.

oh really, now we're nitpicking video games using real life logic?? in that case 95% games have the same "aberration": they're all fictional.

so what Nathan Drake gets shot at alot and live, so does every single character in any single game that involves gunplay other than Operation Flashpoint. If you take the story canonically then Nathan Drake does not suppose to get shot by these bullets at all (e.g. eye of Indra), but you don't watch it, you play it, its a shooter game and thats how shooter games play out.

Edit: Like CGI said we all know you're distasteful of Sony games, and you're entitled to your own opinion, but at least don't make comments that are overly absurd and trollish, "low expectations", seriously?? after the string of awards it won at both E3 and GamesCon???

If you make a cinematic game you get cinematic rules to go along with it. Given the fact that the cutscenes are as long as a typical movie you can't skirt the basics of cinema. If your audience cannot suspend disbelief due to how the story is portrayed then it is a bad movie. Uncharted 2 only gets away with this because it is only compared against other terrible stories in other cinematic games.

You sure you're talking about the same game? Uncharted 2 isn't Final Fantasy.

mchaza said:

really its ruining my gaming. The game is SO GOOD that i so harshly judge over games, i don't fine it fair but how can i not 

Uncharted 2 is the best game i have played that pulls off 

1. Great Story: draws you in, and no matter how hard the situation or your get lost you are constantly trying as hard as possible to see the end of the story. For example in the mountains puzzle platform section, i got lost. really for like an Hour but i still played constantly to find out what happens next. Also the part were you have to fight the 3 super mutants guys in the small area. I played it like 100 times wanting to see the end. No game has done that for me, usually i just quit and come back later. 

2. Great game play: perfectly combines plat forming, gunplay and great climatic set pieces that i never get bored and its so varied to get me constantly interested. I hate it when games have the same game play from start to finish. 

3. Great Twists: really i have never been shocked more in a game with its twists really i never saw Harry Fylin betraying me in the 1 level. And other great twists like the camera man getting shot (i was really going, leave him, leave him) until he gets shot and me happy with glee because of it. And i was absolutely shocked by the super mutants. 

The game is just so good i have played the story like 10 times and never get bored when playing it. Its a game that i will play it then a few months play it again and have as much excitement as the last play though.

Yet no game since has done that for me. Portal 2 was amazing but not on the level of UC2. And my biggest problem will be Uncharted 3. Would Uncharted 2 be so good in my mine that UC3 wont live up to the expectations.

dam you naughty dog, i cant play UC2 for ever...........or can i 

hope u got all the 100 treasures. I just finished.

freebs2 said:

UC2 was a good game but it's very far form perfect I whould give it an 8.5, maybe a 9 counting the multiplayer.... the prodution standards are on top level but I don't understand why the gameplay is considered so good....the platfrom parts are almost "on-rails", there is no air control or timing involved. (except maybe a couple of exceptions)

The action parts felt to me like a poor version of Gears Of War, with a lower variety of enemies and weapons, less precise controls and worse level design (in GeOW, when the games get more difficult it generally means more  and stronger enemies, in UC2 it usually mean less covers, not to mention that in UC2, when you arrive in a new area, often you die the 1st time because you don't know where enemies are coming from, that's something that never happens on GeOW).

It sounds like you're approaching the gameplay of Uncharted 2 with the same mindset as Gears which is probably why you were struggling. Gears is heavily focused on cover and shoot gunplay and hence the mechanics are streamlined for that purpose.

With Uncharted 2, you have to remember gunplay is only 40% of the game. It's also 40% platforming and 20% stealth. When you approach an area for the first time you have to be far more tactical and the platforming also offers an extra layer to the action. When all elements are incorporated together the level design is actually superb and you'll have far more fun. Also, you not knowing where enemies are suggests the AI is good, which is a plus.

Around the Network
freebs2 said:

The action parts felt to me like a poor version of Gears Of War, with a lower variety of enemies and weapons, less precise controls and worse level design (in GeOW, when the games get more difficult it generally means more  and stronger enemies, in UC2 it usually mean less covers, not to mention that in UC2, when you arrive in a new area, often you die the 1st time because you don't know where enemies are coming from, that's something that never happens on GeOW).

gears 2 is just on par with Uncharted 2, but never greater excluding the co-op/online. The cinematics do elevate things pretty much(a reason why Naughty Dog worked so hard to deliver) and with a balanced game-play{not just enemy striking on different levels) which seemingly lacks in Gears 2....now is this asking for a flamebait?

CGI-Quality said:
freebs2 said:

That sounds like a problem to a specific player, not a problem overall. I never had such a problem.

freebs2 - you definitely never ever want to play Demon's Souls :P

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Squilliam said:

If you make a cinematic game you get cinematic rules to go along with it.

and what exactly are "cinematic rules"?? It can be as close to a movie as it gets but its still a game and you have to play it, in order to play it you have to go along with "gaming mechanical rules". and even movies are usually far off from reality

Given the fact that the cutscenes are as long as a typical movie you can't skirt the basics of cinema.

you do realise that a movie is usually around 60-90 minutes, and video games are 6-8 hours long on average, if you count the cutscene time then majority of the games are "cinematic" , hell, MGS will be a freaking TV show.

If your audience cannot suspend disbelief due to how the story is portrayed then it is a bad movie.

true, but what if the VAST MAJORITY do believe its a good movie while a handful few don't??

Uncharted 2 only gets away with this because it is only compared against other terrible stories in other cinematic games.

in which case, name me a few good "cinematic games" that have good (and realistic) stories

maybe this is because it is universally deemed to be good. thats why

i don't know man but i'm on my 3rd play through of valkyria chronicles. best RPG this gen! to bad SEGA may never bring the game back to PS3 again cause i'll never buy a PSP to play 2 and 3.