By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - STAR WARS TOURNAMENT: Episode 4: A New Hope. Rate it!

Khuutra said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Rath said:

Yes they can. I think rankings only make sense if you treat them as absolute.

10/10 is for me a great movie - both Ep5 and Ep4 are great movies. Ep5 is greater, but that doesn't make Ep4 any worse.

What is a 9.9/10 movie for you?

9.9/10 is a score that doesn't need to exist. It's trying to translate complex ideas into concrete but simplistic numbers.

It doesn't need to, but it does for many of us, I want to know if Rath uses it and what he defines a 9.9/10 as.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Rath said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Rath said:

Why are people rating this film below a 10 just because the next one is better?

Does the next film being better somehow make this one worse?

There needs to be a scale

If one is better they can't have the same score....unless that one is just better by a bit.

How much better is Episode 5 for you than Episode 4?,....if tis much better than Episode 4 should be 9.9...while EPisode 5 is 10.0

Otherwise its hard to separate your ranking

Unless you stick with the score you give at the time

10/10 is for me a great movie - both Ep5 and Ep4 are great movies. Ep5 is greater, but that doesn't make Ep4 any worse.

Whatever I feel like being a 9.9 movie, which would be a movie that I think is just short of a 10.

It's really very subjective - there is no point trying to pretend that any of these reviews are objective measures.

Rath said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Rath said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Rath said:

Why are people rating this film below a 10 just because the next one is better?

Does the next film being better somehow make this one worse?

There needs to be a scale

If one is better they can't have the same score....unless that one is just better by a bit.

How much better is Episode 5 for you than Episode 4?,....if tis much better than Episode 4 should be 9.9...while EPisode 5 is 10.0

Otherwise its hard to separate your ranking

Unless you stick with the score you give at the time

Whatever I feel like being a 9.9 movie, which would be a movie that I think is just short of a 10.

It's really very subjective - there is no point trying to pretend that any of these reviews are objective measures.

It is but 10/10 means something different to everyone.

Some people can only have one 10/10 movie and if anything is even a bit less better than it...it becomes a 9.9/10 movie....I'm just trying to answer your original question on why some might be rating episode 4 lower

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:

9/10

I saw this one after Episode 1 and liked it...but didn't like it as much as Episode 1. Not anywhere near enough Jedi, no coruscant. I wasn't that interested in the rebels fighting against the Empire.....my mind was full of things from Episode 1 with the Senate, droid army, Jedi temple, awesome planet of Naboo. Episode 4 didn't have any of that at all.

Special effects were clearly lacking compared to Episode 1

After seeing Darth Maul vs Obi-wan/Qui-gon.....the lightsaber duel between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan felt awful.

What it did have was the two awesome characters, Darth Vader and Han solo, he stole the show in every way possible, each scene with him in it was awesome. In the end though it was still better than most films I'd seen up till that point.

It was very hard to digest that Darth Vader was the little kid from Episode 1 when my dad told me that.

To me, this is the most interesting post, so far. I don't know fans who saw the ep 1 BEFORE  ep IV. I am 40 years old and I experienced all the cultural phenomenon behind Star Wars.

You know, 1977 Star Wars kindda created science fiction in movies. Ok, I exagerate, but it is true that the genre was pretty much dead back then.

All science fiction movies were B movies and the plot was basicly aliens landing on earth OR the earth in the distant future. Lucas borrowed elements of epic mithology like those from "The Lord of the Rings" and put them " a long time ago in galaxy far far away" with space ships, laser guns and swords of light. AND in middle of the historical context of the COLD WAR. Is funny how Reagan used Star Wars as propaganda tool, calling the USSR an "evil empire". Very, very funny, because Lucas was actually refering to his own country, the USA, a good democratic republic which eventually will turn into an evil empire. But I digress...

Episodde IV:

10/10 to me. The orgasmovie. You know, with the death star being nailed by the hero...

And about the post of darthdevidem01...

Well I do think that original trilogy is better, but just for a bit. Episode I is very good in showing us so much more of this galaxy and sure, the battle against the youngest and more powerful sith warrior we have seen so far in the saga (Darth Maul) was sure epic. But the ending is not that great. It was bitter sweet. They killed the best actor of the new trilogy!!!  (Liam Neeson) I like the guy who plays the emperor in the whole saga and Ewan MacGregor is great. I also love the beautiful Nataly Portman. But there is nothing like the chemistry between Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. Their acting was what made the first trilogy better that the second

But everything started in 1977 with that low budget B movie called "Star Wars"

Also I don't think I posted it on the prequel posts so I'll post it here.

Midichlorians are bullshit. They essentially try to remove all spirituality and mysticism from the series, reducing this unseen thing that is the great balance of all life in the universe down to something measurable.The original trilogy was mystical and otherwordly, a grand idea of balance between good and evil beyond that of a single person.

That is one of the key ideas that made the original trilogy so powerful.

Around the Network
A203D said:
highwaystar101 said:
A203D said:
highwaystar101 said:

Original: 9.5/10

Digital remaster: 9.2/10 (Han shot first damnit!)

Pros:

Classic story, amazing special effects, strong characters.

Cons:

Dodgy acting in some parts, can't just be left alone (please don't re-release it in 3D, please I beg)

lol, yeah i prefered it when Han shot first. i think if they do 3D they have a chance to go back and redo some of the stuff that clearly looks CGI, and they could do a whole HD remastering, so it could turn out well imo.

Personally I don't think they will.

I can see it now, they are going to do something stupid like CGI Jar Jar Binks into Mos Eisley spaceport, kind of like they did with Jabba the hut but worse.

I can see the scene where Han Solo and Greedo are talking, only to have Jar Jar Binks added in the background clumsily falling into pots and pans and yelling "Woaaaah, Meesa Jar Jar Binksa, have you-a seen-a Aneeekin?". And then to top it off Han's laser shot is removed from the scene entirely and Greedo's is reflected back, or something like that.

And I think it's unlikely George Lucas will remove any of the CGI, if anything I can see him remaking it "Clone wars" style.

lol, i think we can count on jar jar wont be in the originals, Lucas must have been aware of the amount of hate the character got because his appearances in Ep2 and 3 were cut drastically short.

thats a good point though, will he try and add things from the prequels. personally i think Lucas knows about the level of dislike for the prequels, i dont think he do it. i think he'll redo the CGI to look better, the 1997 CGI is more than 10 years out of date, he might even try to integrate CGI into the films in more subtle ways.

personally one of the problems is CGI sticks out like a sore thumb, like the Han and Jabba scene. and the man seems to love Avatar, so imo its only a matter of time before he goes all out with 3D and HD and whatnot. so imo they can only get better, but LAMO at the Han comment, they should remove that Greedo fires first. (by the way i think its the same Greedo in Ep1, Aniken's podracing friend).

Although it should be noted that Jar Jar binks is the ENTIRE reason the Empire was able to be formed and Palpaltine was able to take control.

twesterm said:

I'm judging the original (or updated-original 80's version) without all the extra crap thrown into it.

8/10

An all around fantastic movie.  While it doesn't boast the action of the prequels, every scene is infintely more emotional because we actually care about the characters.  We get time to know them and like them all.  I actually can't think of anything bad to say about the movie and I'm only rating it an 8 because I want to be able to go up for the next movies.

And two things from reading what others have said:

• Lucas' original vision was nothing like the Star Wars we have now.  His original vision would have been worse than the prequels.
  • The scene between Obi Wan and Vader may have been dull compared to the anything in episode more 1, but there was just so much more tension in that scene.  I actually cared who won and the tension before each strike was great.  Something doesn't have to be flashy to be fantastic.

The Obi-Wan/Vader duel is probably my favorite because it has the most tension. No fancy choreography/Yoda hopping like a mad man here, it's just straight up "I hate your guts" lines coming from Vader with Obi-Wan staying calm and collected. I'll always remember the beginning of that scene.

[Obi-Wan approaches Vader whose lightsaber is drawn and ignited.]

Vader: I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I last left you I was but the learner, now, I am the master.

Obi-Wan: [igniting his lightsaber] Only a master of evil, Darth. [clang]

Sheer brilliance! I love it every time, particularly since James Earl Jones delivers those lines so menacingly.

I give this one a 9/10, the only thing I can think that I don't really care for is the "But I was going to go to the Tashi station to pick up some power converters!" line from Luke that reeks of sheer awfulness. I cringe everytime I hear that line.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

"They came from behind!"

"I got a bad feeling about this."

"I got him!"

"Uhh, we're all fine here, how are you?"

"LUKE! WE'RE GONNA HAVE COMPANY!"

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

"We're goin in; we're goin in full throttle."

"You worry about those fighters! I'll worry about the tower!"

"The Force is strong with this one."

"Close all outport shields; Close all outport shields."

"Sorry about the mess."

"What a piece of junk!"

"She'll make .5 past light speed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid. Now if you'll just get on board, we'll get outta here." ;)

"You must do what you feel is right of course."

10 out of 10.

10/10 perfect

Berstuck said:

9/10. Everything about this film puts the prequel films to shame.  One of the best films ever made and off the star wars movies second only to Empire Strikes Back. 

My thoughts exactly.

9.5/10

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron