By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - STAR WARS TOURNAMENT: Episode 4: A New Hope. Rate it!

Welcome to the VGChartz STAR WARS Tournament!

Feel free to discuss the episode after rating. DO NOT EDIT YOUR SCORE.

This is a competition which Darthdevidem01 and I are hosting in celebration of what many (with good taste) feel is the greatest fim franchise in history! There will be a thread on every other day, beginning with The Phantom Menace, and going right up to Return of the Jedi... and perhaps beyond.

The average rating for each episode will be based on the scores given by users in these threads, and it will be fun to see which episode is most popular here on VGChartz.

Rankings So Far:

1) Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

2) Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

3) Episode 2: Attack of the Clones

Today's movie is :

STAR WARS EPISODE 4 : A New Hope 

(also known simply as Star Wars)

Synopsis (Warning: May Contain Spoilers):

Sith Lord Darth Vader boards the transport ship of rebel Princess Leia and takes her prisoner. In a desperate move, she records a message for help, and asks the protocol droid, R2-D2, and his friend, C-3PO to deliver it to Obi-Wan Kenobi, her "only hope". The droids find themselves on Tattooine, and are sold by Jawa traders to budding rebel Luke Skywalker and his uncle. Luke discovers the secret message, and travels to find "Ben" Kenobi, a hermit who lives not too far away. Ben reveals that he is, indeed, "Obi-Wan" Kenobi, and tells Luke about the force and the Jedi order, as well as his father, "Anakin Skywalker", who was killed by a jedi named Vader who switched to the dark side of the Force. With the help of Han Solo, pilot of the Millenium Falcon, and his companion Chewbacca, Obi-Wan and Luke travel to the Death Star to rescue Princess Leia and save the galaxy from the most terrifying weapon in the history of mankind.

Box Office Gross

American Gross- $461 Million (Adjusted for Inflation: $1.6 Billion)

Worldwide Gross - $775 Million (Adjusted for Inflation: $2.7 Billion) 

Fun Fact -- Despite being released 33 years ago, Star Wars is the fourth highest grossing film of all time. In real terms (when adjusted for inflation), Star Wars is the second highest grossing film ever made, behind only Gone With the Wind.

Critical Reception:

Rotten Tomatoes: 94% Positive Reviews (Fresh), Average Rating 8.2/10

Metacritic: 91% Review Average (Universal Acclaim)....Remember that Metacritic for movies is different to that of games: hardly any movies get over 80%, let alone 90%....

Rules:

- ONLY Rate the Episode you need to rate today.

- Give a rating out 10. Feel free to use decimals.

- Try to justify your score, whether it is a 10, 1, or anything in between.

- Do not belittle or insult anyone else's opinions

- Only talk about Episode 2 and its positive/negative aspects in this thread....this is not a thread for you to come in, insult prequels and run away. No, such an act will be reported to moderators.

- You have three days to post and vote: Friday 5th, Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th November. No votes after Sunday 7th November at 7pm GMT will be counted, and the thread will be locked soon after this point.

- Enjoy!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

10/10 It's not only my favourite Star Wars movie but also the best blockbuster ever created imo.

i saw it in1978 when it was just called Star Wars (or "Krieg der Sterne" in Germany) and it blew me away.

9/10. It's almost inconcievable that George Lucas could make something this good. God, he was so much better when he was cribbing from Kurosawa and WWII movies than he is now that he just cribs from himself.

9/10 (Will only be reviewing the original version)

Pros:

Those rising credits!
The first time you see a Star Destroyer... such an incredible sight. (Love the SpaceBalls spoof)
When Luke goes and watches the two suns set... and then John Williams blows us all away.
Harrison Ford as Han Solo
Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin
"Aren't you a little short to be a Storm Trooper?"
"I'm Luke Skywalker and I'm here to rescue you!"
Luke and Han's dogfight against the TIE-fighters. "I got one!" "Don't get cocky kid!"
The battle of Yavin. Still thrilling after all these years. "WOO HOO!"
Such a great ending to a great movie!

Cons:

Starts off a bit slow...
The Obi-wan vs. Darth Vader duel seemed dull back then... and now it's almost laughable.

10/10

A genuine classic. Perhaps not as good as The Empire Strikes Back, but one of the most memorable movies I have ever seen.

Around the Network

8.5/10

My least favourite one. It was actually the first one I saw and made me a fan of the whole series. I can't really say what I didn't like about it, probably mostly the story isn't good enough for me to make it a 9 out of 10 or whatever...  don't really know.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

badgenome said:

9/10. It's almost inconcievable that George Lucas could make something this good. God, he was so much better when he was cribbing from Kurosawa and WWII movies than he is now that he just cribs from himself.

He was brilliant in his early years in my opinion: THX 1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars. Lucas directed and co-wrote 3 of the best US movies of the 70s (a decade which had plenty of great US movies).

The original was the last Star Wars movie I saw and that was only a few years ago.

6/10

8.5/10 ~ A New Hope is a very good movie. when it comes down to the plot, the visual effecrs, the overall direction and connection to mythology, and many more areas of the film it's just wonderful. The only thing that really holds A New Hope back in my eyes is George Lucas' ability to coach his actors, I think there is some clear inexperience here from not on Lucas but most of the younger cast members and it shows.

okr said:
badgenome said:

He was brilliant in his early years in my opinion: THX 1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars. Lucas directed and co-wrote 3 of the best US movies of the 70s (a decade which had plenty of great US movies).

My theory is that on some level he's aware of how much he sucks now and he resents his younger, talented self, and that's why he fucked up all the original Star Wars movies by adding that CGI garbage to the rereleases. Ditto with Spielberg and E.T.