By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - STAR WARS TOURNAMENT: Episode 4: A New Hope. Rate it!

xeroxm3 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
xeroxm3 said:

10/10

This is my favorite Star Wars movie and I'm sure it always will be. Yes, the special effects don't look great now, lightsaber battles are much better in the prequels, and Empire Strikes Back has more character development however this started it all. Star Wars, The Princess Bride, Indiana Jones, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles accounted for about 50% of the movies I watched as a little kid because I could watch them over and over again.

Lightsaber battles and force powers may be what it's all about now yet "A New Hope" gave you the most complete package in terms of the Star Wars universe. I'll never forget Obi-Wan allowing himself to be struck down, Darth Vader choking a guy with the force, or Luke blowing up the Death Star. Can't beat the original.

Yeah about that.......

Obi-Wan lied or he had some weird subtle other meaning that makes no sense

He knew he couldn't beat Vader and decided to place his hopes in Luke. Obi-Wan became part of The Force so he could guide Luke on the path to becoming a Jedi. It's probably one of the most significant events in all of the Star Wars movies because Luke saw it happen. It planted the rage Luke would eventually have to overcome to attain his Jedi status.

Yeah I basically took it to mean he could help Luke more directly

Its just his wording, "If you strike me down Darth I will return more powerful than ever".....it just seemed weird.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
xeroxm3 said:

He knew he couldn't beat Vader and decided to place his hopes in Luke. Obi-Wan became part of The Force so he could guide Luke on the path to becoming a Jedi. It's probably one of the most significant events in all of the Star Wars movies because Luke saw it happen. It planted the rage Luke would eventually have to overcome to attain his Jedi status.

Its just his wording, "If you strike me down Darth I will return more powerful than ever".....it just seemed weird.

It is weird in the context of the prequel trilogy, but remember in the original trilogy that life and the Force were the same things. "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter," quoth Yoda.

Obi-Wan did become more powerful than Vader could imagine, but not in a way that interacted with the physical plane

darthdevidem01 said:
A203D said:

if you havent read timothy zahns trilogy then dont dis it, its widely loved by the fans and critics, so much so that when Zahn introduced Corscant as the central world in the galaxy, Lucas made it the central world in the prequel trilogy - his books were written before the prequels were made! (i know i dont have a source, but its probabily on wikipedia).

I have read zahns trilogy and it was very good like everything Star Wars is very good.

But what your doing now is comparing a book....which is of decent length to a movie not even really related to the book.

If it was like a book to movie adaptation...fine.

But I don't see why the prequels must be dissed because some Star Wars books were better.....its not a very good comparison. If those books had movies and then we compared the prequels to those movies....fine.

If Episodes 1-3 were made as books, they would be very different to the movies as so many things get cut out when you make a movie..

It wasn't made into canon because it was beloved, but because it was canon. The entire expanded universe was meant to be canon from the get-go, and Lucas never defined the galactic capital in the original trilogy (something he mentioned in an interview when Ep II was released, talking about how the original trilogy occurs at the fringes of galactic society, middle-of-nowhere places like Tatooine, Hoth, and Bespin, while the prequels play in the power centers)

Zahn's first trilogy also introduced Kashyyyk, iirc (unless they count the Star Wars Christmas Special in over that)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Khuutra said:
darthdevidem01 said:
xeroxm3 said:

It is weird in the context of the prequel trilogy, but remember in the original trilogy that life and the Force were the same things. "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter," quoth Yoda.

Obi-Wan did become more powerful than Vader could imagine, but not in a way that interacted with the physical plane

Its hard for me to give different "contexts" to both trilogies.

darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:
darthdevidem01 said:

It's true, though. Lucas has said plainly that midichlorians are what allow living beings to use the Force, what gives Force users power - but in the original trilogy that wasn't true, as the dead could act and influence without any bodies at all, much less midichlorians.

The original trilogy was a lot more mystical than the prequels.

Around the Network

9.5/10. Not my favourite Star Wars film, but certainly one of my favourite movies of all time. None of the prequels *spit* are a patch on this.

Good:

-Brilliant acting

-Brilliant writing

-Brilliant pretty much everything

-The first time Darth Vader enters the starship...wow.

-Darth Vader in general.

-The Death Star Trench is just amazing.

-Han Solo.

-Chewbacca.

-Mos Eisley Spaceport

-Jabba the Hutt

Bad:

-Some of the dialogue (particularly Luke's) feels a little bit cliché, but it's all part of the fun.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

highwaystar101 said:

Original: 9.5/10

Digital remaster: 9.2/10 (Han shot first damnit!)

Pros:

Classic story, amazing special effects, strong characters.

Cons:

Dodgy acting in some parts, can't just be left alone (please don't re-release it in 3D, please I beg)

lol, yeah i prefered it when Han shot first. i think if they do 3D they have a chance to go back and redo some of the stuff that clearly looks CGI, and they could do a whole HD remastering, so it could turn out well imo.

A203D said:

lol, yeah i prefered it when Han shot first. i think if they do 3D they have a chance to go back and redo some of the stuff that clearly looks CGI, and they could do a whole HD remastering, so it could turn out well imo.

They wouldn't need to do an HD remastering, though. The film's not old enough to have deteriorated and is bound to be amazingly preserved, aside from that.

9/10

Pros:  Practically everything

Somehow the lame old timey special effects look better then the new CGI ones.

Probably because CGI still looks fake.  Period.

A shiny floating car just doesn't look as cool as a regular car who's wheels are missing via a camera trick.

Cons: Started off slowley.

Khuutra said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:
darthdevidem01 said:

It's true, though. Lucas has said plainly that midichlorians are what allow living beings to use the Force, what gives Force users power - but in the original trilogy that wasn't true, as the dead could act and influence without any bodies at all, much less midichlorians.

The original trilogy was a lot more mystical than the prequels.

If you see Episode 3's ending bits

Yoda says Qui-gon discovered the secret to act through the force without bodies....I wonder what that was all about