By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - STAR WARS TOURNAMENT: Episode 4: A New Hope. Rate it!

darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:

It's true, though. Lucas has said plainly that midichlorians are what allow living beings to use the Force, what gives Force users power - but in the original trilogy that wasn't true, as the dead could act and influence without any bodies at all, much less midichlorians.

The original trilogy was a lot more mystical than the prequels.

If you see Episode 3's ending bits

Yoda says Qui-gon discovered the secret to act through the force without bodies....I wonder what that was all about

That was Lucas going "Shit, wait a minute, we used to have ghosts in this series, didn't we?"

Force ghosts have been canonical for thousands and thousands of years, Qui-Gon discovered nothing in particular

Around the Network

Rating the version where Han Solo fires first...

9/10.

Just excellent and a true classic that stands the test of time.  The opening shot remains amazing and from the start to the finish it manages to rattle along at great pace while also developing an entire Universe and some loveable characters.

This was when Lucas seemed to have a perfect instinct for balancing C3P0/R2D2 humour, derring do and just the right amount of danger.

Consider the languague from the film that leapt into common conciousness globally:

The Millenium Falcon

Lightsabers

Jedi Knights

Sith Lords

Darth Vader.

Not to mention one of the finest film scores so far composed.

Is there anything from the prequels worth remembering?  Did anyone have a cool spaceship with a name you could remember like The Millenium Falcon?

It was bigger than anything anyone younger can imagine today if you're only aware of it as a film on TV or DVD - check that adjusted gross and consider that even adjusted due to international value changes the global attendance on this was massive compared to any film today.  It was simply everywhere after it launch

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Khuutra said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:

It's true, though. Lucas has said plainly that midichlorians are what allow living beings to use the Force, what gives Force users power - but in the original trilogy that wasn't true, as the dead could act and influence without any bodies at all, much less midichlorians.

Yoda says Qui-gon discovered the secret to act through the force without bodies....I wonder what that was all about

That was Lucas going "Shit, wait a minute, we used to have ghosts in this series, didn't we?"

Force ghosts have been canonical for thousands and thousands of years, Qui-Gon discovered nothing in particular

I heard Liam Neeson was actully scheduled to appear in Ep3 as a ghost at the end, but for some reason couldnt make it.

but i suppose it could be that ancient jedi knew how to become ghosts, but over time that technique was lost until Qui-Gon rediscovered it??? although not a good explaination, still plausable.

A203D said:
Khuutra said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Khuutra said:

I heard Liam Neeson was actully scheduled to appear in Ep3 as a ghost at the end, but for some reason couldnt make it.

but i suppose it could be that ancient jedi knew how to become ghosts, but over time that technique was lost until Qui-Gon rediscovered it??? although not a good explaination, still plausable.

Except... Yoda knows how to do it.  Ok, sure MAYBE he could of later figured it out as well.

However, what about Vader?

Can't imagine "Force ghost" abilties were high up on Vader's to do list.

It seems pretty obvious that force ghosts aren't any actual trick.  Just those who are well trained in the force can come back to people connected to them as ghosts... as they are now again a part of the universal force.

Reasonable said:

Rating the version where Han Solo fires first...

9/10.

Just excellent and a true classic that stands the test of time.  The opening shot remains amazing and from the start to the finish it manages to rattle along at great pace while also developing an entire Universe and some loveable characters.

This was when Lucas seemed to have a perfect instinct for balancing C3P0/R2D2 humour, derring do and just the right amount of danger.

Consider the languague from the film that leapt into common conciousness globally:

The Millenium Falcon

Lightsabers

Jedi Knights

Sith Lords

Darth Vader.

Not to mention one of the finest film scores so far composed.

Is there anything from the prequels worth remembering?  Did anyone have a cool spaceship with a name you could remember like The Millenium Falcon?

It was bigger than anything anyone younger can imagine today if you're only aware of it as a film on TV or DVD - check that adjusted gross and consider that even adjusted due to international value changes the global attendance on this was massive compared to any film today.  It was simply everywhere after it launch

Not to mention we should see its WEEK 1 gross

Its grossed just $11 Million in its opening week in the US (this is its "wide release" opening week....its "limited release" opening week was just $1 Million)

by the end of its run it had grossed $307 Million (original run...not including re-release gross)......thats a 27 times multiplier compared to week 1

No film has that kind of a multiplier!!!!!

Not even Titanic

I don't think anyone knew how big this movie was going to be

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
A203D said:
highwaystar101 said:

Original: 9.5/10

Digital remaster: 9.2/10 (Han shot first damnit!)

Pros:

Classic story, amazing special effects, strong characters.

Cons:

Dodgy acting in some parts, can't just be left alone (please don't re-release it in 3D, please I beg)

lol, yeah i prefered it when Han shot first. i think if they do 3D they have a chance to go back and redo some of the stuff that clearly looks CGI, and they could do a whole HD remastering, so it could turn out well imo.

Personally I don't think they will.

I can see it now, they are going to do something stupid like CGI Jar Jar Binks into Mos Eisley spaceport, kind of like they did with Jabba the hut but worse.

I can see the scene where Han Solo and Greedo are talking, only to have Jar Jar Binks added in the background clumsily falling into pots and pans and yelling "Woaaaah, Meesa Jar Jar Binksa, have you-a seen-a Aneeekin?". And then to top it off Han's laser shot is removed from the scene entirely and Greedo's is reflected back, or something like that.

And I think it's unlikely George Lucas will remove any of the CGI, if anything I can see him remaking it "Clone wars" style.

highwaystar101 said:
A203D said:
highwaystar101 said:

Original: 9.5/10

Digital remaster: 9.2/10 (Han shot first damnit!)

Pros:

Classic story, amazing special effects, strong characters.

Cons:

Dodgy acting in some parts, can't just be left alone (please don't re-release it in 3D, please I beg)

lol, yeah i prefered it when Han shot first. i think if they do 3D they have a chance to go back and redo some of the stuff that clearly looks CGI, and they could do a whole HD remastering, so it could turn out well imo.

Personally I don't think they will.

I can see it now, they are going to do something stupid like CGI Jar Jar Binks into Mos Eisley spaceport, kind of like they did with Jabba the hut but worse.

I can see the scene where Han Solo and Greedo are talking, only to have Jar Jar Binks added in the background clumsily falling into pots and pans and yelling "Woaaaah, Meesa Jar Jar Binksa, have you-a seen-a Aneeekin?". And then to top it off Han's laser shot is removed from the scene entirely and Greedo's is reflected back, or something like that.

And I think it's unlikely George Lucas will remove any of the CGI, if anything I can see him remaking it "Clone wars" style.

lol, i think we can count on jar jar wont be in the originals, Lucas must have been aware of the amount of hate the character got because his appearances in Ep2 and 3 were cut drastically short.

thats a good point though, will he try and add things from the prequels. personally i think Lucas knows about the level of dislike for the prequels, i dont think he do it. i think he'll redo the CGI to look better, the 1997 CGI is more than 10 years out of date, he might even try to integrate CGI into the films in more subtle ways.

personally one of the problems is CGI sticks out like a sore thumb, like the Han and Jabba scene. and the man seems to love Avatar, so imo its only a matter of time before he goes all out with 3D and HD and whatnot. so imo they can only get better, but LAMO at the Han comment, they should remove that Greedo fires first. (by the way i think its the same Greedo in Ep1, Aniken's podracing friend).

darthdevidem01 said:
Rath said:

Why are people rating this film below a 10 just because the next one is better?

Does the next film being better somehow make this one worse?

There needs to be a scale

If one is better they can't have the same score....unless that one is just better by a bit.

How much better is Episode 5 for you than Episode 4?,....if tis much better than Episode 4 should be 9.9...while EPisode 5 is 10.0

Otherwise its hard to separate your ranking

Unless you stick with the score you give at the time

Yes they can. I think rankings only make sense if you treat them as absolute.

10/10 is for me a great movie - both Ep5 and Ep4 are great movies. Ep5 is greater, but that doesn't make Ep4 any worse.

Rath said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Rath said:

Why are people rating this film below a 10 just because the next one is better?

Does the next film being better somehow make this one worse?

There needs to be a scale

If one is better they can't have the same score....unless that one is just better by a bit.

How much better is Episode 5 for you than Episode 4?,....if tis much better than Episode 4 should be 9.9...while EPisode 5 is 10.0

Otherwise its hard to separate your ranking

Unless you stick with the score you give at the time

10/10 is for me a great movie - both Ep5 and Ep4 are great movies. Ep5 is greater, but that doesn't make Ep4 any worse.

What is a 9.9/10 movie for you?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Rath said:

What is a 9.9/10 movie for you?

9.9/10 is a score that doesn't need to exist. It's trying to translate complex ideas into concrete but simplistic numbers.