By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - STAR WARS TOURNAMENT: Episode 4: A New Hope. Rate it!

10/10! No faults atall with the film (well im shore there are some but i wasnt lookin lol) one of the best sci fi filsm out there

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
A203D said:

Don't PM me then, I am not having an argument about other issues in a Star Wars ranking thread, that much I will make clear.

And please no-one apart from you keeps using that laughing scene from FFX as a means to justify something, your comparison was horrendously flawed, in effect you compared the worst from one game with the best from another game.

Okay, fair i'll make a another FF13 thread in December or January when i have more time to put more effort into it.

but thats my point, i made reasonable arguments why i thought Episode 1 and 2 were not good films in the other threads, i didnt give them a 1 or 3 like everyone else, i think it was about 5 or 6, with reasons behind that. i was aslo a star wars fan, so i've seen the films several times, read some of the books, and seen some of the tv interviews. so i'm not making irrational arguments as you say.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=118944&page=2

page 2 of that thread Carl 2291 used that video just recently which you didnt like either. i've used it only once and i wont use it again i will only use FF13 & 12 scenes for future comparasion. i've also used other videos like the Leona Lewis one, or some of the developer interviews from FF13 to back me up before.

anyway i dont want to talk about this anymore. my point was they no need for that level of animosity, if you want to talk about star wars then i'm not stopping you.

okr said:
badgenome said:

9/10. It's almost inconcievable that George Lucas could make something this good. God, he was so much better when he was cribbing from Kurosawa and WWII movies than he is now that he just cribs from himself.

He was brilliant in his early years in my opinion: THX 1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars. Lucas directed and co-wrote 3 of the best US movies of the 70s (a decade which had plenty of great US movies).

I was just going to say that. From THX-1138 to American Graffiti to Star Wars to Raiders of the Lost Ark... I mean, resumes don't really get any better than that.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
okr said:
badgenome said:

9/10. It's almost inconcievable that George Lucas could make something this good. God, he was so much better when he was cribbing from Kurosawa and WWII movies than he is now that he just cribs from himself.

He was brilliant in his early years in my opinion: THX 1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars. Lucas directed and co-wrote 3 of the best US movies of the 70s (a decade which had plenty of great US movies).

I was just going to say that. From THX-1138 to American Graffiti to Star Wars to Raiders of the Lost Ark... I mean, resumes don't really get any better than that.

There was one guy that tried to convince me that George Lucas had only 1 good film on his resume.......that is how unfair George Lucas hate has got.

@A203D

I had a huge paragraph ready for your unfair posts in the episode 1/2 threads (lol @ scope of the film is too small and the books are better....an unjust comparison again)...but I stopped and realised there was no point arguing with you.

And only carl? only one other person? gonna need more than that.

And if you use someone who had a 2 minute song in FF13 as proof for your arguments, its laughable quite frankly, what next, can we use Celine Dion interviews to strengthen our arguments related to Titanic? Or Leona Lewis to strengthen our arguments related to Avatar?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Lucas gets WAY too much hate. Yes, his later movies have been somewhere between mediocre and absolute shit but before the first signs of insanity came with Howard the Duck, the guy had a Midas Touch. He even managed to put out The Last Crusade after that point, which is still the second best Indiana Jones movie and a very solid blockbuster in its own right (especially compared to most of the shit coming out today). I'll throw out a quick list of his movies:

Great:
Ep. IV
Ep. V
Raiders of the Lost Ark
American Graffiti

Above average:
The Last Crusade
THX-1138
Ep. VI

Average:
Ep. III
Temple of Doom

Below Average:
Ep. I
Ep. II

Saved by the Fridge:
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Overall, almost any filmmaker would KILL for that kind of lineup.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

9/10

Pro:

Music
Acting
Special Effects
Plot
Story
R2D2 & C3PO

Con:
Updated special editions
That poor dude in the cantina:

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

rocketpig said:

Lucas gets WAY too much hate. Yes, his later movies have been somewhere between mediocre and absolute shit but before the first signs of insanity came with Howard the Duck, the guy had a Midas Touch. He even managed to put out The Last Crusade after that point, which is still the second best Indiana Jones movie and a very solid blockbuster in its own right (especially compared to most of the shit coming out today). I'll throw out a quick list of his movies:

Great:
Ep. IV
Ep. V
Raiders of the Lost Ark
American Graffiti
Ep. III
Ep. I

Above average:
The Last Crusade
THX-1138
Ep. VI

Average:
Temple of Doom

Below Average:
Ep. II

Saved by the Fridge:
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Overall, almost any filmmaker would KILL for that kind of lineup.

Fixed and agreed!!!!!!

And not only this George Lucas has done so many other things apart from just his movies, skywalker sounds, THX Surround  Sound and so much more...he's had a hand in loads of those things!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
rocketpig said:
okr said:
badgenome said:

There was one guy that tried to convince me that George Lucas had only 1 good film on his resume.......that is how unfair George Lucas hate has got.

@A203D

I had a huge paragraph ready for your unfair posts in the episode 1/2 threads (lol @ scope of the film is too small and the books are better....an unjust comparison again)...but I stopped and realised there was no point arguing with you.

And only carl? only one other person? gonna need more than that.

And if you use someone who had a 2 minute song in FF13 as proof for your arguments, its laughable quite frankly, what next, can we use Celine Dion interviews to strengthen our arguments related to Titanic? Or Leona Lewis to strengthen our arguments related to Avatar?

Like i said i'm not talking about this anymore, i have nothing more to say about FF13, unless you want to revive an old thread or make a new one about it, i dont have the time to go through it again.

fair enough you didnt respone to my episode 1 or 2 posts, because there was probabily about a dozen that said worst things than me without even giving reasons, that how much people dont care for it, at least i gave a reasonable answer.

if you havent read timothy zahns trilogy then dont dis it, its widely loved by the fans and critics, so much so that when Zahn introduced Corscant as the central world in the galaxy, Lucas made it the central world in the prequel trilogy - his books were written before the prequels were made! (i know i dont have a source, but its probabily on wikipedia).

8/10. It's unfair to rate it this way because for obvious reasons it had a smaller budget (and came out earlier), but it just isn't as epic even as the other two in the original trilogy. 5 and 6 managed to do stuff with early-80s special effects that mostly still hold up to the test of time today (aside from some of the puppetry). The battle of Yavin was dull by comparison, the lightsaber duel was lacklustre, and there was just less action overall, but even if its for unfair reasons, it is inferior

It scores more on incredible acting and strong characters. Every one of them was just so believable, despite the improbability of it

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

10/10

This is my favorite Star Wars movie and I'm sure it always will be. Yes, the special effects don't look great now, lightsaber battles are much better in the prequels, and Empire Strikes Back has more character development however this started it all. Star Wars, The Princess Bride, Indiana Jones, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles accounted for about 50% of the movies I watched as a little kid because I could watch them over and over again.

Lightsaber battles and force powers may be what it's all about now yet "A New Hope" gave you the most complete package in terms of the Star Wars universe. I'll never forget Obi-Wan allowing himself to be struck down, Darth Vader choking a guy with the force, or Luke blowing up the Death Star. Can't beat the original.