By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What does PSP2 need to compete against 3DS?

Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

I'm not being arrogant, I'm being accurate.  Unlike you, who doesn't think SCE's losses can be blamed on PS3?  Then what exactly did they lose those billions on again?

Locoroco was pretty widely compared to Nintendo games.  The similarity isn't exactly my fabrication, honestly I've never even played the LR games. LR1 came out in mid 2006 though, just a year and half after PSP launch... it was already "too late" by then?

And uh... Sony didn't make GTA or Burnout?  Is what Sony does best to rely on other people's games?  Is that what you're saying? :P

you are nowhere near accurate

you never understand anything

SCE's recent losses were because of PS3 but not mainly because of Plstation division but because SONY electronics wanted to seal blu-royalties and you saying razor blades model just depeding upon PS3 is wrong SONY isn't going to push blu-ray like format on PSP2 so ityou saying razor blade model won't work is wrong

locorocco being late was because piracy had started by then not that loccoroco was late,piracy was rampant so game sales started dropping dead and devs started leaving

SONY didn't mek GTA or burnout but they brought it to their platform.just because sony has alot of 3rd party on their platform is them relying on other people's games??????????-sony provides a platform which devs make games for sell good

Yeah, I guess I never understand anything.  But I understand what a pyrrhic victory is.  Do you? ;)

I also understand how royalty structures work, as well as sunk R&D. The idea that SEL is "responsible" for SCE's losses is laughable, especially given SCE traditionally offloaded most of their heavy R&D costs onto SEL in the past (EE, CELL, etc).  If anything SEL usually holds SCE up (though that all changed when Kutaragi was ousted).  SCE's losses are directly due to delivering an overengineered, overbudget,  overpriced, console, and delivering it a full year after their closest competitor. Their losses are due to miscalculation, to short sightedness, to hubris... not to due to someone else.

PSP didn't even take off in Japan until after Locoroco released (and it never really took off anywhere else).  You even said earlier PSP had good software sales it's first two years, which is when LR1 released... so which is it?  You need to get your timelines in order, because you're saying directly opposing things and contradicting yourself here.

And let's be clear, I'm not the one who trotted out other companies games when talking about what "Sony does best".  You did.  Personally, I think Sony can rest on their own games pretty well.

Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the laugh.

I'm serious! :/

Just wait for the UE3 announcement...

jarrod said:
darkknightkryta said:

Why is everyone making it sound like the PSP can't get some of those titles that the 3DS is getting?  Why can't the PSP 2 get Resident Evil, or even a better Resident Evil than what the 3DS is geting?  The 3DS is getting a port of Snake Eater, why can't the PSP 2 get an original Metal Gear title  like the PSP before it?  Same with Kingdom Hearts, the 3DS Kingdom Hearts looks like its running the game's PS2 engine, what if the PSP 2 gets a new Kingdom Hearts title with  360 looking graphics?  Like I'm not saying the PSP is but why is it everyone is like "PSP 2 will fail cause of the 3DS' lineup" which is mostly filled with third party titles that can be on the PSP and may actually be better on the PSP 2 (Minus the 3D)? 

No one's saying it's "impossible", just that it's going to be difficult, and more difficult than it was for PSP1 given where Sony is in the market today.  The disparity in system spec will probably mean we won't see many ports between 3DS and PSP2 though, just as we don't for Wii and PS3/360.  Some, but not many.

I do think we'll see a good amount of PS3/360 downports for PSP2 though (like PSP had plenty of GC/PS2/Xbox downports, especially upfront), and I think we're going to see Sony push more towards western support (partially because western developer ideologies favor what are going to be PSP2's spec/screen advantages, partially because Japan's already almost 100% behind 3DS).  I definitely think there's still a place for PSP2, it just seems to me that the platform has much more stacked against it then PSP1 did...

More difficult than the PSP 1?  And note I don't necessarily mean ports from the 3DS I mean the same franchise but different games.  Kingdom Hearts for instance, the DS got a Kingdom Hearts game and the PSP got a Kingdom Hearts game.  All these titles anounced on the 3DS could have a counter part on the PSP and it won't be a hard sell considering how many great games are coming to the PSP despite piracy and lack on interest.

To be more on point, you don't need to sell products for a loss for them to be successful. If your product is innovative, desirable and the marketing is sound, then you can sell your product for a profit from day one and still lead the market.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

darkknightkryta said:

More difficult than the PSP 1?  And note I don't necessarily mean ports from the 3DS I mean the same franchise but different games.  Kingdom Hearts for instance, the DS got a Kingdom Hearts game and the PSP got a Kingdom Hearts game.  All these titles anounced on the 3DS could have a counter part on the PSP and it won't be a hard sell considering how many great games are coming to the PSP despite piracy and lack on interest.

Kingdom Hearts makes for an interesting example actually... because while DS and PSP both saw KH games, they weren't exactly equal.  PSP got a full fledged, console level KH, with new worlds and characters, developed internally over several years.  DS got a quick, outsourced spinoff, developed in under a year, and with entirely recycled content.  And then DS got a remake of a mobile game, also outsourced, also made in under a year.

And the more interesting thing on 3DS, is that the internal PSP team has moved to it and is making the KH 3DS game, which Nomura promises to be another "full fledged" entry, to the point where he even said it could be mistaken for KH3.  So... where exactly does this leave PSP2 now?  People saying PSP2 can get these same games aren't looking deep enough, the same teams that made these sorts of franchises on PSP (KH, MGS, etc) have already moved to 3DS.  They also didn't make these games on DS.  If these teams are on 3DS, yet were only on PSP previously, where does that leave PSP2 then?

Around the Network

Actually the PSP2 needs to compete against the Apple iPod Touch, iPhone and the iPad as well. Essentially any iOS device is also a competitor of the PSP2. By the time the PSP2 releases there will be the iPhone 4GS, iPad revision and the new iTouch revision based upon the iPhone. Apple is strong enough in gaming to be considered the 3rd major platform for handheld gaming. The PSP never had a competitor with similar multimedia values before and nor was there ever a major competitor outside of Nintendo.

Tease.

jarrod said:
darkknightkryta said:

Kingdom Hearts makes for an interesting example actually... because while DS and PSP both saw KH games, they weren't exactly equal.  PSP got a full fledged, console level KH, with new worlds and characters, developed internally over several years.  DS got a quick, outsourced spinoff, developed in under a year, and with entirely recycled content.  And then DS got a remake of a mobile game, also outsourced, also made in under a year.

And the more interesting thing on 3DS, is that the internal PSP team has moved to it and is making the KH 3DS game, which Nomura promises to be another "full fledged" entry, to the point where he even said it could be mistaken for KH3.  So... where exactly does this leave PSP2 now?  People saying PSP2 can get these same games aren't looking deep enough, the same teams that made these sorts of franchises on PSP (KH, MGS, etc) have already moved to 3DS.  They also didn't make these games on DS.  If these teams are on 3DS, yet were only on PSP previously, where does that leave PSP2 then?

What if Nomura feels like putting Kingdom Hearts 3 on the PSP 2?  Or what if Nomura comes with an idea that works well with what the PSP 2 might offer?  You make it sound like that's not gonna happen and it could very well happen.  Another thing the main Kingdom Hearts team is not working on the 3DS game, the whole reason why Kingdom Hearts 3 is probably not gonna be released this generation is because the main team is working on Final Fantasy Vs XIII and if my estimates are right, that game's 3 years off.

darkknightkryta said:
jarrod said:
darkknightkryta said:

What if Nomura feels like putting Kingdom Hearts 3 on the PSP 2?  Or what if Nomura comes with an idea that works well with what the PSP 2 might offer?  You make it sound like that's not gonna happen and it could very well happen.  Another thing the main Kingdom Hearts team is not working on the 3DS game, the whole reason why Kingdom Hearts 3 is probably not gonna be released this generation is because the main team is working on Final Fantasy Vs XIII and if my estimates are right, that game's 3 years off.

Saying "anything could happen" is a pretty weak position to argue from.  Obviously no one can say with certainty that KH3 on PSP2 is impossible... but come on.  Look at the situation today, look at the current handheld market, look at where companies are focusing and pledging support.  It's not hard to make a pretty good, rather educated guess at this, and point out what the likelihoods are going to be.

If Nomrua "feels like putting Kingdom Hearts 3 on the PSP 2", rest assured Wada and Disney will be there to slap him back into reality...

jarrod said:
darkknightkryta said:
jarrod said:
darkknightkryta said:

Saying "anything could happen" is a pretty weak position to argue from.  Obviously no one can say with certainty that KH3 on PSP2 is impossible... but come on.  Look at the situation today, look at the current handheld market, look at where companies are focusing and pledging support.  It's not hard to make a pretty good, rather educated guess at this, and point out what the likelihoods are going to be.

If Nomrua "feels like putting Kingdom Hearts 3 on the PSP 2", rest assured Wada and Disney will be there to slap him back into reality...

Did they when he put Birth by Sleep on the PSP?  A game that uses no recycled assets other than music.  Every cutscene is voiced, and the graphics are on par with the PS2 games.  Has CGI graphics that were made with expensive super computers.  On a console that has been hit with piracy worse than the DS, PS2, Wii, 360, PSX, GC, and X-Box.  And Nomura will get slapped back to reality for wanting a portable Kingdom Hearts on a PSP 2?  And saying anything can happen would be a weak position if history hasn't shown its very possible.

jarrod said:
ElGranCabeza said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the laugh.

I'm serious! :/

Just wait for the UE3 announcement...

PSP2 is DOA in the west. UE3 is already up and running on iOS and I won't be surprised if it's ported to Droid in the future. RAGE is also on the iOS and already confirmed to be coming to Droid. It is the exact same reason why WM7 will struggle, iOS and Droid are too far ahead of the game right now. 

The only way the PSP2 can have any type of success in the West is if SCE moneyhatz Epic, R*, EA, Bethesda, Activision, etc to put games like Gears of War, GTA SAS, Mass Effect, Fallout, Oblivion, Call of Duty, Bioshock, etc on the machine. It'll be much easier for the PSP2 to succeed in Japan as SCE will only really have to moneyhat Capcom there.

Regardless, I think the PSP2 is fucked, the 3DS is gonna kill it with fire. BTW, the 3DS might not even have as easy a road to the top as I previously thought; most people are really into smartphones and tablets nowadays, including kids and teenagers. The 3DS SW will be compelling enough to get people to buy it, but I wonder if Little Johnny will ask Santa for a 3DS or an iphone 4G next Christmas.