By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What does PSP2 need to compete against 3DS?

Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

Competitive games and a competitive pricepoint.  That's going to be a tall order given what we know of 3DS and what we've heard of PSP2...

how is it a tall order when we already know 3DS is going to be expensive and all the games on 3DS are the typical for a Playstation platform and would be easily ported and plus new games

and we haven't heard anything about the price and game about the PSP2

It's going to be difficult for PSP to compete on price based on the rumors we've heard (HD screen, 360 spec, etc)... we're also at a stage where the razor/blades model has proven itself pretty ineffectual long term, and for a PSP platform, recent precedent makes not making profit on hardware even a less attractive proposition.  I think we'll see a $50 difference (in favor of Nintendo) probably, which was exactly the price difference between DS and PSP at launch.

For games, I doubt we'll see many 3DS ports.  I do expect some 360/PS3 ports though, which is probably a better way for Sony to go, as challenging Nintendo on their own turf is practically suicide these days.  But again, I'm not sure that's exactly competitive... 3DS is amassing a lineup already that's like the best of DS and PSP on one machine, that doesn't leave a lot of room for PSP2.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

Competitive games and a competitive pricepoint.  That's going to be a tall order given what we know of 3DS and what we've heard of PSP2...

how is it a tall order when we already know 3DS is going to be expensive and all the games on 3DS are the typical for a Playstation platform and would be easily ported and plus new games

It's going to be difficult for PSP to compete on price based on the rumors we've heard (HD screen, 360 spec, etc)... we're also at a stage where the razor/blades model has proven itself pretty ineffectual long term, and for a PSP platform, recent precedent makes not making profit on hardware even a less attractive proposition.  I think we'll see a $50 difference (in favor of Nintendo) probably, which was exactly the price difference between DS and PSP at launch.

For games, I doubt we'll see many 3DS ports.  I do expect some 360/PS3 ports though, which is probably a better way for Sony to go, as challenging Nintendo on their own turf is practically suicide these days.  But again, I'm not sure that's exactly competitive... 3DS is amassing a lineup already that's like the best of DS and PSP on one machine, that doesn't leave a lot of room for PSP2.

Why is everyone making it sound like the PSP can't get some of those titles that the 3DS is getting?  Why can't the PSP 2 get Resident Evil, or even a better Resident Evil than what the 3DS is geting?  The 3DS is getting a port of Snake Eater, why can't the PSP 2 get an original Metal Gear title  like the PSP before it?  Same with Kingdom Hearts, the 3DS Kingdom Hearts looks like its running the game's PS2 engine, what if the PSP 2 gets a new Kingdom Hearts title with  360 looking graphics?  Like I'm not saying the PSP is but why is it everyone is like "PSP 2 will fail cause of the 3DS' lineup" which is mostly filled with third party titles that can be on the PSP and may actually be better on the PSP 2 (Minus the 3D)? 

darkknightkryta said:

Why is everyone making it sound like the PSP can't get some of those titles that the 3DS is getting?  Why can't the PSP 2 get Resident Evil, or even a better Resident Evil than what the 3DS is geting?  The 3DS is getting a port of Snake Eater, why can't the PSP 2 get an original Metal Gear title  like the PSP before it?  Same with Kingdom Hearts, the 3DS Kingdom Hearts looks like its running the game's PS2 engine, what if the PSP 2 gets a new Kingdom Hearts title with  360 looking graphics?  Like I'm not saying the PSP is but why is it everyone is like "PSP 2 will fail cause of the 3DS' lineup" which is mostly filled with third party titles that can be on the PSP and may actually be better on the PSP 2 (Minus the 3D)? 

No one's saying it's "impossible", just that it's going to be difficult, and more difficult than it was for PSP1 given where Sony is in the market today.  The disparity in system spec will probably mean we won't see many ports between 3DS and PSP2 though, just as we don't for Wii and PS3/360.  Some, but not many.

I do think we'll see a good amount of PS3/360 downports for PSP2 though (like PSP had plenty of GC/PS2/Xbox downports, especially upfront), and I think we're going to see Sony push more towards western support (partially because western developer ideologies favor what are going to be PSP2's spec/screen advantages, partially because Japan's already almost 100% behind 3DS).  I definitely think there's still a place for PSP2, it just seems to me that the platform has much more stacked against it then PSP1 did...

If all the PSP2 has to offer is more portable versions of home console games, much like the PSP, then it won't be stealing any market share from Nintendo.

When someone is planning on spending a 30 minute bus journey playing a game, they won't want to have to go through ten minutes of menus and cut scenes before actually starting to play, because then a third of your journey is gone.

It needs more pick up and play games, built to get the best out of the fact that you'll possibly be playing on the move.

The DS has lots of those games, the 3DS will have more as well.

VGChartz

KungKras said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
themanwithnoname said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Darc Requiem said:

What the PSP2 needs is for Nintendo to make a huge blunder. Anything besides that won't have any effect.

how does that make sense?

PSP has a comfortable installbase even after piracy took the games away

dtewi said:

Nothing. The 3DS has already won.

now if SONY make a CES announcement before 3DS february release,that would be amazing

jarrod said:

Huh? When have Mario Kart, Starfox, Kid Icarus, Zelda, Animal Crossing, or Nintendogs ever been on a PlayStation platform?

OT: Games of all kinds. Sony hasn't shown me that they understand the handheld market is quite different from the console market. Superior online capabilities would be nice and shouldn't be too hard to imagine happening anyway as well. Lastly, it needs to be affordable.

those games were also on the DS

i was talking about the huge 3rd party line-up that ninty systems are getting for the first time

For the third time actually. NES and SNES had huge third party line ups. (just for the sake of nitpicking :P)

EDIT: Counting handhelds, it's the fifth time.

not really

yeah NES and SNES had good third party party it wasn't the same like nowadays

and those two consoles were still basically pushed by mario,zelda,donkey kong,etc.all of ninty's franchises

and even the handhelds,they have games but nowhere near like how 360 is dominated by third parties.how PS1 was a third party console because of its line-up

i was talking support like that which ninty's products have never had

yeah mario and other ninty's game will still be there,but this time it looks like third party big games will actually contribute this time and try to  push hardware themselves too not just the regular pokemon,mario,zelda,etc

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

how are we at any stage that have proved razor blade models have proven ineffectual??????????????

the PS3 actually just proved you wrong

how is challenging ninty on their own surface is sucide these days??????????

your comments never make any sense and you try to push your own thinking on others,just stop it you are always wrong

yeah the DS and PSP are on 3DS,but that doesn't mean that Sony can't still bring a line-up for their own handheld

you think a megaton device about to launch and they wouldn't be able to bring games.they can easily do that,now to sell them and to consistently do that over its lifetime is what PSP failed at which was mostly due to piracy

jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

Why? is the question I think most people that are optimistic about psp2 are asking. The VAST majority of 3ds games announced are games that are always on a playstation paltforms, why would that suddenly change for the psp????

Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

how are we at any stage that have proved razor blade models have proven ineffectual??????????????

the PS3 actually just proved you wrong

how is challenging ninty on their own surface is sucide these days??????????

your comments never make any sense and you try to push your own thinking on others,just stop it you are always wrong

yeah the DS and PSP are on 3DS,but that doesn't mean that Sony can't still bring a line-up for their own handheld

you think a megaton device about to launch and they wouldn't be able to bring games.they can easily do that,now to sell them and to consistently do that over its lifetime is what PSP failed at which was mostly due to piracy

PS3 just proved me wrong?  The same PS3 that's lost more money than PS1, PS2 and PSP have made, combined?  That PS3? L.O.F-ing.L. <3

And yeah, challenging Nintendo directly tends not to work out so well.  Sony made a few "Nintendo-like" overtures with PSP software (Locoroco especially) and it generally went nowhere.  Sony needs to concentrate on what Sony does well, not try to imitate what Nintendo does well... thankfully, from what we're hearing about PSP2, they seem to be going to their own tune, which is really for the best.

gamings_best said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

Why? is the question I think most people that are optimistic about psp2 are asking. The VAST majority of 3ds games announced are games that are always on a playstation paltforms, why would that suddenly change for the psp????

Because those games generally floundered on PSP1.  And the reason PSP1 got those sorts of games was due to the PlayStation brand, which 5-6 years ago was considered infallible, plus it was generally assumed that PSP was set to take over the handheld market by literally everyone in the industry.  Things worked out differently and today Sony finds themselves in a much weaker position than they were back then... it's fine with being optimistic, but I'd rather be realistic.  Gamesbeing on PSP2 due to those brands "are always on a PlayStation" is dated thinking at best... it's not the mid 2000s anymore.

jarrod said:
gamings_best said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

Because those games generally floundered on PSP1.  And the reason PSP1 got those sorts of games was due to the PlayStation brand, which 5-6 years ago was considered infallible, plus it was generally assumed that PSP was set to take over the handheld market by literally everyone in the industry.  Things worked out differently and today Sony finds themselves in a much weaker position than they were back then... it's fine with being optimistic, but I'd rather be realistic.  Gamesbeing on PSP2 due to those brands "are always on a PlayStation" is dated thinking at best... it's not the mid 2000s anymore.

but some of those games came recently in the psp life, and piracy murdered psp software sales, what's to say the psp2 won't be as protected as the ps3 is.

it's just the cock sure attitude that psp2 will with out a doubt have a harder time that's the problem, I mean this gen more than ever should have taught people to be more optimistic because anything can happen.