By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What does PSP2 need to compete against 3DS?

gamings_best said:
jarrod said:
gamings_best said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

Competitive games and a competitive pricepoint.  That's going to be a tall order given what we know of 3DS and what we've heard of PSP2...

how is it a tall order when we already know 3DS is going to be expensive and all the games on 3DS are the typical for a Playstation platform and would be easily ported and plus new games

and we haven't heard anything about the price and game about the PSP2

It's going to be difficult for PSP to compete on price based on the rumors we've heard (HD screen, 360 spec, etc)... we're also at a stage where the razor/blades model has proven itself pretty ineffectual long term, and for a PSP platform, recent precedent makes not making profit on hardware even a less attractive proposition.  I think we'll see a $50 difference (in favor of Nintendo) probably, which was exactly the price difference between DS and PSP at launch.

For games, I doubt we'll see many 3DS ports.  I do expect some 360/PS3 ports though, which is probably a better way for Sony to go, as challenging Nintendo on their own turf is practically suicide these days.  But again, I'm not sure that's exactly competitive... 3DS is amassing a lineup already that's like the best of DS and PSP on one machine, that doesn't leave a lot of room for PSP2.

Why? is the question I think most people that are optimistic about psp2 are asking. The VAST majority of 3ds games announced are games that are always on a playstation paltforms, why would that suddenly change for the psp????

Because those games generally floundered on PSP1.  And the reason PSP1 got those sorts of games was due to the PlayStation brand, which 5-6 years ago was considered infallible, plus it was generally assumed that PSP was set to take over the handheld market by literally everyone in the industry.  Things worked out differently and today Sony finds themselves in a much weaker position than they were back then... it's fine with being optimistic, but I'd rather be realistic.  Gamesbeing on PSP2 due to those brands "are always on a PlayStation" is dated thinking at best... it's not the mid 2000s anymore.

but some of those games came recently in the psp life, and piracy murdered psp software sales, what's to say the psp2 won't be as protected as the ps3 is.

it's just the cock sure attitude that psp2 will with out a doubt have a harder time that's the problem, I mean this gen more than ever should have taught people to be more optimistic because anything can happen.

Cock sure or not, PSP2 WILL have a harder time than PSP1 in garnering industry support (developers, publishers, press, retailers, analysts, etc).  And the reason for that is how PSP1 performed, versus how it was assumed it'd perform.  Again, realism trumps optimism.

The other thing is, that 3DS already getting the sorts of games usually reserved for PS systems from the Japanese studios casts some serious doubt on PSP2 then also garnering those same brands from those same teams, due to the traditional nature of Japan's development culture.  Sure, they're getting more crossplatform and multiplatform as time goes on, but they generally don't port afterwards (at least from the market leader) and they generally try to converge around one system.  And from the looks of it so far, 3DS is what they've chosen... as soon as MH gets announced, it's over completely.

PSP2's best chance lies in the west imo...

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

Competitive games and a competitive pricepoint.  That's going to be a tall order given what we know of 3DS and what we've heard of PSP2...

how is it a tall order when we already know 3DS is going to be expensive and all the games on 3DS are the typical for a Playstation platform and would be easily ported and plus new games

It's going to be difficult for PSP to compete on price based on the rumors we've heard (HD screen, 360 spec, etc)... we're also at a stage where the razor/blades model has proven itself pretty ineffectual long term, and for a PSP platform, recent precedent makes not making profit on hardware even a less attractive proposition.  I think we'll see a $50 difference (in favor of Nintendo) probably, which was exactly the price difference between DS and PSP at launch.

For games, I doubt we'll see many 3DS ports.  I do expect some 360/PS3 ports though, which is probably a better way for Sony to go, as challenging Nintendo on their own turf is practically suicide these days.  But again, I'm not sure that's exactly competitive... 3DS is amassing a lineup already that's like the best of DS and PSP on one machine, that doesn't leave a lot of room for PSP2.

how are we at any stage that have proved razor blade models have proven ineffectual??????????????

the PS3 actually just proved you wrong

how is challenging ninty on their own surface is sucide these days??????????

your comments never make any sense and you try to push your own thinking on others,just stop it you are always wrong

yeah the DS and PSP are on 3DS,but that doesn't mean that Sony can't still bring a line-up for their own handheld

you think a megaton device about to launch and they wouldn't be able to bring games.they can easily do that,now to sell them and to consistently do that over its lifetime is what PSP failed at which was mostly due to piracy

PS3 just proved me wrong?  The same PS3 that's lost more money than PS1, PS2 and PSP have made, combined?  That PS3? L.O.F-ing.L. <3

And yeah, challenging Nintendo directly tends not to work out so well.  Sony made a few "Nintendo-like" overtures with PSP software (Locoroco especially) and it generally went nowhere.  Sony needs to concentrate on what Sony does well, not try to imitate what Nintendo does well... thankfully, from what we're hearing about PSP2, they seem to be going to their own tune, which is really for the best.

PS3 alot of money but not more than PS1,PS2 and PSP made.and that was for SONY's electronics main aim to seal blu-ray royalties

you can go on and try to be delusional all you want as alwasy you do and try to twist things andmake your points

stop being arrogant and blame the loss on PS3

BLU-RAY was a one-time thing.doesn't mean all razor-blade models are that hard to follow.

it will be like the PS2 and PSP where they made a minor loss and recovered it quickly not a shitload like the PS3 for blu-ray which is for the future

Sony' made no ninty like game,just because Locoroco is  sidescroller and 2D doesn't mean it followed ninty in anyways.Nintendo games are always bright and child-like,etc.Second locoroco already came too late as pircay was already high at that time on PSP

and you saying "sony should do what sony does best" again doesn't make sense as sony did whatever they do best on their portable.Gran theft auto,resistance,killzone,burnout,etc isn't what ninty does so again keep living in your own world and keep convicing yourself of your alternate reality theories as they don't come near what is happening in this reality

Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

how are we at any stage that have proved razor blade models have proven ineffectual??????????????

the PS3 actually just proved you wrong

how is challenging ninty on their own surface is sucide these days??????????

your comments never make any sense and you try to push your own thinking on others,just stop it you are always wrong

yeah the DS and PSP are on 3DS,but that doesn't mean that Sony can't still bring a line-up for their own handheld

you think a megaton device about to launch and they wouldn't be able to bring games.they can easily do that,now to sell them and to consistently do that over its lifetime is what PSP failed at which was mostly due to piracy

PS3 just proved me wrong?  The same PS3 that's lost more money than PS1, PS2 and PSP have made, combined?  That PS3? L.O.F-ing.L. <3

And yeah, challenging Nintendo directly tends not to work out so well.  Sony made a few "Nintendo-like" overtures with PSP software (Locoroco especially) and it generally went nowhere.  Sony needs to concentrate on what Sony does well, not try to imitate what Nintendo does well... thankfully, from what we're hearing about PSP2, they seem to be going to their own tune, which is really for the best.

PS3 alot of money but not more than PS1,PS2 and PSP made.and that was for SONY's electronics main aim to seal blu-ray royalties

you can go on and try to be delusional all you want as alwasy you do and try to twist things andmake your points

stop being arrogant and blame the loss on PS3

BLU-RAY was a one-time thing.doesn't mean all razor-blade models are that hard to follow.

it will be like the PS2 and PSP where they made a minor loss and recovered it quickly not a shitload like the PS3 for blu-ray which is for the future

Sony' made no ninty like game,just because Locoroco is  sidescroller and 2D doesn't mean it followed ninty in anyways.Nintendo games are always bright and child-like,etc.Second locoroco already came too late as pircay was already high at that time on PSP

and you saying "sony should do what sony does best" again doesn't make sense as sony did whatever they do best on their portable.Gran theft auto,resistance,killzone,burnout,etc isn't what ninty does so again keep living in your own world and keep convicing yourself of your alternate reality theories as they don't come near what is happening in this reality

I'm not being arrogant, I'm being accurate.  Unlike you, who doesn't think SCE's losses can be blamed on PS3?  Then what exactly did they lose those billions on again?

Locoroco was pretty widely compared to Nintendo games.  The similarity isn't exactly my fabrication, honestly I've never even played the LR games. LR1 came out in mid 2006 though, just a year and half after PSP launch... it was already "too late" by then?

And uh... Sony didn't make GTA or Burnout?  Is what Sony does best to rely on other people's games?  Is that what you're saying? :P

jarrod said:
gamings_best said:
jarrod said:
gamings_best said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

Why? is the question I think most people that are optimistic about psp2 are asking. The VAST majority of 3ds games announced are games that are always on a playstation paltforms, why would that suddenly change for the psp????

Because those games generally floundered on PSP1.  And the reason PSP1 got those sorts of games was due to the PlayStation brand, which 5-6 years ago was considered infallible, plus it was generally assumed that PSP was set to take over the handheld market by literally everyone in the industry.  Things worked out differently and today Sony finds themselves in a much weaker position than they were back then... it's fine with being optimistic, but I'd rather be realistic.  Gamesbeing on PSP2 due to those brands "are always on a PlayStation" is dated thinking at best... it's not the mid 2000s anymore.

but some of those games came recently in the psp life, and piracy murdered psp software sales, what's to say the psp2 won't be as protected as the ps3 is.

it's just the cock sure attitude that psp2 will with out a doubt have a harder time that's the problem, I mean this gen more than ever should have taught people to be more optimistic because anything can happen.

Cock sure or not, PSP2 WILL have a harder time than PSP1 in garnering industry support (developers, publishers, press, retailers, analysts, etc).  And the reason for that is how PSP1 performed, versus how it was assumed it'd perform.  Again, realism trumps optimism.

The other thing is, that 3DS already getting the sorts of games usually reserved for PS systems from the Japanese studios casts some serious doubt on PSP2 then also garnering those same brands from those same teams, due to the traditional nature of Japan's development culture.  Sure, they're getting more crossplatform and multiplatform as time goes on, but they generally don't port afterwards (at least from the market leader) and they generally try to converge around one system.  And from the looks of it so far, 3DS is what they've chosen... as soon as MH gets announced, it's over completely.

PSP2 will have a harder time but not majorly because how PSP performed but because Playstation brand is not the biggest thing in gaming as it was when PSP released.PSP performed very well and sold comfortable the first two year both HW and SW the first two years and then it went downhill because of piracy,if they can solve that and they surely will then it won't be much different

3DS is getting games that are usually bold and on Playstation system doesn't mean PSP2 can't get the same franshise and a few ninty third party games

and even if MH is announced for 3DS,nothing will happen as PSP2 will still have the big games.

"as soon as MH gets announced, it's over completely".......................lmao

how is 3DS what japanese devs have chosen when its not even launched and we haven't even heard the PSP2 lineup,man tone down your comments,you are gonna fall hard

jarrod said:
gamings_best said:
jarrod said:
gamings_best said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the laugh.

Around the Network
jarrod said:

I'm not being arrogant, I'm being accurate.  Unlike you, who doesn't think SCE's losses can be blamed on PS3?  Then what exactly did they lose those billions on again?

Locoroco was pretty widely compared to Nintendo games.  The similarity isn't exactly my fabrication, honestly I've never even played the LR games. LR1 came out in mid 2006 though, just a year and half after PSP launch... it was already "too late" by then?

And uh... Sony didn't make GTA or Burnout?  Is what Sony does best to rely on other people's games?  Is that what you're saying? :P

you are nowhere near accurate

you never understand anything

SCE's recent losses were because of PS3 but not mainly because of Plstation division but because SONY electronics wanted to seal blu-royalties and you saying razor blades model just depeding upon PS3 is wrong SONY isn't going to push blu-ray like format on PSP2 so ityou saying razor blade model won't work is wrong

locorocco being late was because piracy had started by then not that loccoroco was late,piracy was rampant so game sales started dropping dead and devs started leaving

SONY didn't mek GTA or burnout but they brought it to their platform.just because sony has alot of 3rd party on their platform is them relying on other people's games??????????-sony provides a platform which devs make games for sell good

Solid_Snake4RD said:

because of piracy

Yeah, piracy killed PSP the same way it killed DS and Xbox 360. Damn pirates.

Solid_Snake4RD said:

PSP2 will have a harder time but not majorly because how PSP performed but because Playstation brand is not the biggest thing in gaming as it was when PSP released.PSP performed very well and sold comfortable the first two year both HW and SW the first two years and then it went downhill because of piracy,if they can solve that and they surely will then it won't be much different

3DS is getting games that are usually bold and on Playstation system doesn't mean PSP2 can't get the same franshise and a few ninty third party games

and even if MH is announced for 3DS,nothing will happen as PSP2 will still have the big games.

"as soon as MH gets announced, it's over completely".......................lmao

how is 3DS what japanese devs have chosen when its not even launched and we haven't even heard the PSP2 lineup,man tone down your comments,you are gonna fall hard

PSP made a LOT of headway on Sony's reputation at the time, and on the factors going into the handheld war.  I mean, at that point Sony was the undisputed leader in gaming, had the best selling system in history under their belt, had almost all the biggest games on their systems, and was coming into the hardheld market (Nintendo's last area of real success) with a sleek PS2 level, $200, disc based wonder that was going up against Nintendo's weird, ugly little, cobbled together, two screened, cart based, handheld N64.  We had Sony's PR promises of lifting us out of the "Handheld ghetto", we had PS2 quality games like a FFVII prequel and a full sized GTA, we had Hollywood movies... everyone thought Nintendo was going to get massacred

Looking at where Sony sits today, where PSP sits today, it's a world of difference.  And that, chiefly, if why PSP2 has a much tougher road ahead of it than it's predecessor got.

As far as MoHun, it's pretty much the only reason PSP's at all successful it's one decent market today (Japan).  PSP2 losing that would be like a Nintendo handheld losing Pokemon, it'd be detrimental to the system.  If Nintendo snags MoHun for 3DS, it's about as close to fatal blow as we've ever seen in videogames.

Better games

$250 tops at launch

Long battery life

Dual analog sticks (please Sony, dual analog sticks or I won't buy it)

Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:

you are nowhere near accurate

you never understand anything

SCE's recent losses were because of PS3 but not mainly because of Plstation division but because SONY electronics wanted to seal blu-royalties and you saying razor blades model just depeding upon PS3 is wrong SONY isn't going to push blu-ray like format on PSP2 so ityou saying razor blade model won't work is wrong

locorocco being late was because piracy had started by then not that loccoroco was late,piracy was rampant so game sales started dropping dead and devs started leaving

SONY didn't mek GTA or burnout but they brought it to their platform.just because sony has alot of 3rd party on their platform is them relying on other people's games??????????-sony provides a platform which devs make games for sell good

Sony has been slaughtered by companies that don't use the loss leader strategy. Take a look at Apple which never sells its products for loss. It has generated more profit in the last five years than the entire market value of Sony. In other words, Apple has made so much profit that it could buy Sony with that profit. But it won't because Apple doesn't want Sony's unprofitable businesses.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.