By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What does PSP2 need to compete against 3DS?

At this point I'm not sure if features will make that much of a difference. Make it cheap, have a long battery life and have lots of great games.

Around the Network
themanwithnoname said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Darc Requiem said:

What the PSP2 needs is for Nintendo to make a huge blunder. Anything besides that won't have any effect.

how does that make sense?

PSP has a comfortable installbase even after piracy took the games away

dtewi said:

Nothing. The 3DS has already won.

now if SONY make a CES announcement before 3DS february release,that would be amazing

jarrod said:

Competitive games and a competitive pricepoint.  That's going to be a tall order given what we know of 3DS and what we've heard of PSP2...

how is it a tall order when we already know 3DS is going to be expensive and all the games on 3DS are the typical for a Playstation platform and would be easily ported and plus new games

and we haven't heard anything about the price and game about the PSP2

Huh? When have Mario Kart, Starfox, Kid Icarus, Zelda, Animal Crossing, or Nintendogs ever been on a PlayStation platform?

OT: Games of all kinds. Sony hasn't shown me that they understand the handheld market is quite different from the console market. Superior online capabilities would be nice and shouldn't be too hard to imagine happening anyway as well. Lastly, it needs to be affordable.

those games were also on the DS

i was talking about the huge 3rd party line-up that ninty systems are getting for the first time

It needs to run on hopes and dreams.

In all seriousness, Sony is already fighting a major uphill battle now that titles like Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid are being released on 3DS as featured games instead of afterthoughts. They'll need to be able to appeal to female gamers for America / Europe, Monster Hunter for Japan, and a community based game ala Pokemon.

They also need their "it" that truly seperates the PSP2 from anything else that will already be out. Nintendo absolutely nailed their "it" factor with the glasses free 3D and they'll be able to coast on it even if something else is released with similar tech because they showed it first. The 3DS has great qualities for core games, casual games, and social games which could end up giving them that balance everyone has been seeking since the PS2.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
themanwithnoname said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Darc Requiem said:

What the PSP2 needs is for Nintendo to make a huge blunder. Anything besides that won't have any effect.

dtewi said:

now if SONY make a CES announcement before 3DS february release,that would be amazing

jarrod said:

Competitive games and a competitive pricepoint.  That's going to be a tall order given what we know of 3DS and what we've heard of PSP2...

how is it a tall order when we already know 3DS is going to be expensive and all the games on 3DS are the typical for a Playstation platform and would be easily ported and plus new games

Huh? When have Mario Kart, Starfox, Kid Icarus, Zelda, Animal Crossing, or Nintendogs ever been on a PlayStation platform?

OT: Games of all kinds. Sony hasn't shown me that they understand the handheld market is quite different from the console market. Superior online capabilities would be nice and shouldn't be too hard to imagine happening anyway as well. Lastly, it needs to be affordable.

those games were also on the DS

i was talking about the huge 3rd party line-up that ninty systems are getting for the first time

For the third time actually. NES and SNES had huge third party line ups. (just for the sake of nitpicking :P)

EDIT: Counting handhelds, it's the fifth time.

I LOVE ICELAND!

NINTENDO!!!!!

Around the Network

I think Sony needs to stop trying to be Nintendo and start being themselves. Instead of Sony thinking how can I do better then Nintendo. How can I create something Nintendo isn't good at. The rollable screen is the perfect example but from recent rumours it seems unlikely.

I think the current PSP2 rumoured console is good enough for now. I mean seriously A touch screen , between 360-PS3 graphics, a back scroll pad. Dual analog. This thing is a gamers dream, Sony doesn't need 3D to compete the currently rumoured console will be more then enough to hold its own.

Also Sony will never over take Nintendo if thats what the threads about, with some AAA software support it could grab about 30-40% of the handheld market at best. All I care is that Sony continues to out perform GameGear. GameGear never took this much market share from Nintendo anything better then their performance is a huge success in my books!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Darc Requiem said:

dtewi said:

jarrod said:

I can you be so sure? I mean even assuming that PSP2 will be 3 times more powerful than 3DS, the fact of having 2 different screens, motion sensors and gyroscope would not make the port of every game so obvious, we still don't know what kind of features the PSP2 has.

zarx said:

So judging by the OP we are not bound by practicality, feasibility or wide appeal more just make a system for tech heads and gadget freaks like me. 

So for a start it would need a opaque (as in can't be seen through) multi-angle hologram projector capable of projecting a fully realised 3D scene up to at least 1 cubic meter, and capable of projecting a flat screen for personal use and text, video and classic games etc.

The ability to use the cell phone network anywhere in the world to download apps and other media from the store without paying a carrier, sony would pay the cell phone networks a % of all sales.

an 80GB HDD like the ones used in the iPod classic.

a pair of 3D cameras (front & back) for gesture and facial tracking and augmented reality plus 3D home movies.

Fully featured web browser.

and that should about do it...

also who was surprised by the the 3D reveal at E3? The screen was practically confirmed months before.

2124 called and they wanted their PSP47 back.

Galaki said:
zarx said:

So judging by the OP we are not bound by practicality, feasibility or wide appeal more just make a system for tech heads and gadget freaks like me. 

So for a start it would need a opaque (as in can't be seen through) multi-angle hologram projector capable of projecting a fully realised 3D scene up to at least 1 cubic meter, and capable of projecting a flat screen for personal use and text, video and classic games etc.

The ability to use the cell phone network anywhere in the world to download apps and other media from the store without paying a carrier, sony would pay the cell phone networks a % of all sales.

an 80GB HDD like the ones used in the iPod classic.

a pair of 3D cameras (front & back) for gesture and facial tracking and augmented reality plus 3D home movies.

Fully featured web browser.

and that should about do it...

also who was surprised by the the 3D reveal at E3? The screen was practically confirmed months before.

2124 called and they wanted their PSP47 back.

well the projector maybe the rest no that's current tech, replace the HDD with a holographic memory matrix at 500 TB and the cell phone network with a quantum entanglement device allowing instant (lag free) high speed internet access anywhere in the galaxy and now we are talking 2124...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

1) Good Games
2) Decent Price
3) Good Games