By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Educate Me About The Wii's Controls

You should read this to realize how much you miss this gen if you don't try Wii

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=amWmy6_JG16U&refer=home

Around the Network
PS360N64PSXBOX said:
gamingdevil said:
Why should any of us care if you like the Wii or not?

Ask your grandpa?

I knew from the start I would get this response. Keep them coming, you are proving my believes on Wii owners with  posts like these. They are all negative.  You ask Wii owners about their system and they would rather attack you and mock you....Hmmmm.....Just as I thought....Do any of you even own a Wii or just claim you do?

Well considering how you normally treat the Wii and flame any thread that speaks highly of the Wii you have to accept that people will be suspicious of you

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

The negative response are from people who don't like the Wii, duh.  And even if you are just flamebaiting this'll still be useful for those people who really are interested, so here goes:

Let's see.  Zelda:  Pointer rocks for aiming, shaking the nunchuk to do the spin attack meant I used that technique a lot more in actual combat instead of just fumbling with rotating the joystick the few times I was required to.  The sword swinging by waving the remote was ok but nothing special imo.

Trauma Center:  Pretty much entirely pointer-driven, not much MD at all except in a couple small instances like the guy mentioned like turning a screwdriver.  Nunchuk joystick selects one of 8 tools by pushing it in one of 8 directions, then use the remote pointer with A and/or B to apply it, it's pretty simple and rather intense with the speed at higher difficulties.

Elebits:  All pointer again, kind of like a beginner's FPS.  You zap the little creatures and point and grab onto objects then move the pointer away to fling the objects away.  Move the cursor to the edge of the screen to rotate the camera which is kinda slow sometimes but doesn't really detract for this game.

Madden:  Some gimmicky controls and some really good ones.  Flings the remote to either side to do a stiff-arm to that side.  Fling the nunchuk side to side to juke in that direction.  Shove both nunchuk and remote forward to break through a tackle or make a big hit on someone (like launching yourself forward).  Fling remote overhand to throw a pass, flick upwards to hike the ball or kick it for punt/FG/kickoff.  Raise both remote and nunchuk to raise your arms to catch a pass.  Raise remote and flick it down to bat down a pass.  Pointer used to select plays and pick players to control on the field (can also use buttons), can also fake pick plays for multi-player.  Others I'm forgetting no doubt but those are the mains. Normal buttons for boost, spin move, strafe, and dive, joystick moves d-pad selects receivers.

Marvel:  UA:  The most gimmicky of the ones I've played so far they're essentially button replacements with no pointer usage.  Side swipe does a trip attack, down swipe does a stun attack, up swipe does a pop-up attack, forward thrust does a knockback attack, and a shake does a normal attack but so does the A button so I just use that or my arm really would get tired.  Holding B and doing these motions does different powers.  Tilting the nunchuk side to side rotates the camera which is a nice use.  Different buttons used to jump and block, joystick to move around, dpad to select different heroes, normal stuff.

Monkey Ball:  The mini-games are very hit or miss but I like the single-player mode on its own too.  Uses just the remote, you hold the remote flat pointing forward and tilt it in a direction to tilt the world in that direction, causing the monkey in a ball to roll around on the course.  A button jumps.  Multiplayer minigames use all kind of wacky controls, some work, some don't, I'm not gonna list 'em all here.

All I have so far aside from Wiisports of course.  Also looking to get Rayman, Super Swing Golf, Sonic, SSX Blur, Godfather, and Paper Mario out of the games that are already out, I have some catching up playing to do. ;)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
PS360N64PSXBOX said:
gamingdevil said:
Why should any of us care if you like the Wii or not?

Ask your grandpa?

I knew from the start I would get this response. Keep them coming, you are proving my believes on Wii owners with  posts like these. They are all negative.  You ask Wii owners about their system and they would rather attack you and mock you....Hmmmm.....Just as I thought....Do any of you even own a Wii or just claim you do?

Well considering how you normally treat the Wii and flame any thread that speaks highly of the Wii you have to accept that people will be suspicious of you

Wouldn't flaming me only encourage me to flame?

Predicting the Future - 360 Will get to 11 Million in the USA this year!!

Predicting the Future - Wii will NOT win this gen in America!!

Prediciting the Future - The PS3 will pass the Wii by 2009!!

Deegan said:

You should read this to realize how much you miss this gen if you don't try Wii

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=amWmy6_JG16U&refer=home

Cool article.  This was kinda weird though:

" Nintendo's lead will widen, pressuring companies even more. Researcher IDC predicts Nintendo will ship 16.1 million players this year, outpacing Microsoft's 9.87 million Xbox 360s and Sony's 9.1 million PlayStation 3s. Wii game sales will total $2.2 billion, trailing only Xbox 360, said IDC, based in Framingham, Massachusetts."

Does that mean they only predict the 360 will only sell a couple hundred thousand more?  Or...what...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

first off let me say although some say "the wii is a workout blah blah waa waah!" its not true. often times  (in fact just about all the time) subtle movements are needed. although full movements are fun and often times youll find yourself getting that into it, only slight movements are needed. this brings up the question, "if only slight movements are needed, then does it really add anything?" the answer, o yea! you would be amazed at how much fun and natural slight movements can add to a game. think about it. how many times when playing any game, have you made, without even thinking about it, anywhere from slight to violent movements, that correspond to how you would react if the situation you were in was real? a basic but good example is driving games. id be amazed if anyone could honestly say they have never moved the controller in a racing game with you are in the heat of the moment and need to make a sharp turn? many of you might not even realize this, but its true, you all do it, rather slight or harshly.

aiming, and i really dont see how anyone can honestly deny this, is much better, more accurate, faster, and MORE REAL with the pointer. once you can get the pointer on the screen easily (which comes with expirience) then its great. i can never go back to using the analog stick to aim, its too difficult and always has been for me. i cant get precise enough especially on long rang shooting at small targets(im sure some elite-sauce people here can, but i bet alot are like me).  also, 99% of FPS have auto aim, and have you hold a button (or toggle) to manually aim. well with the wii, auto aim will never be in any game anymore. im sure of it. you aim with the wiimote, and it works very well, and there is not button to toggle.

sports games. sports games are jesus on the wii. bowling is a dead game until the wii. wiisports bowling is amazing. its very sensitive, and you cant master it easily, just like real bowling (im still trying to master the perfect swing). games like tennis become more fun and not so boring (tap A tap A tap A... etc) and golf especially becomes an actually entertaining game on the wii. mastering getting yourself to swing at a consistant speed rather than masting tapping A. sports games are great on the wii and even when the motion based controls become difficult (i.e. Madden which i love) you just find yourself literly having more fun than actually getting frustrated.

the possiblities.... are endless. So many new ideas pop up. warioware is the best example. that game takes advantage of the wiimote in everyway possible. everyone, and I MEAN EVERYONE needs to go and buy/rent that game and play through ALL of singleplayer mode. (although it is a GREAT MP game) give the game a chance. if before you begin you say to yourself, "this game looks gay" and once you start you dont allow yourself to enjoy it, then the game wont be fun. BE OPEN to it, do everything correctly as shown, be loosened up and enjoy it. i guarantee it  youll greatly enjoy yourself. thats just an example, many other new types of games are poping up by low budget 3rd party companies and are actually very good alot of times.

im done for now. if you have anything els you want me to explain (such as "why is this better on the wii" or "what about this") let me know. i can argue this stuff all day. im so excited about what the wii has done to gaming. ive never had so much fun on the small series of games ive played so far for the wii.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

PS360N64PSXBOX said:

As you know I am not the biggest Wii fan in the world...I am not the most experienced either..But I have enough to feel I hate it. But I am willing to give it ONE LAST CHANCE!. So what better way than to ask actual Wii owners about how the controls work on various games(I played limited ones) and better explain them to me.

So tell me what games you played and how the Wiimote and Nunchuck device was used during gameplay...Basically what you did and how they work. Maybe you can convince me to drop my hatred of the Wii and support it...Or atleast hate it less....Mircales can happen right? This wouldn't be the first system I didn't like at first but got later..

The Wiimote isn't for everyone - and it does take time to get used to. I have a couple of "hard-core" gamers (including one die-hard Ninty fan) who really dislike it. But I love it, and it all varies.

Some Wii games *SUCK*. I hate Monkey Ball, and dislike a few others. If you start with the wrong games, you may end up with a bad impression.

So to start... what have you played? What is your experience with the Wii to date?

I recommend as a "starter course":

- a solid start with Wii Sports (Tennis, Bowling, Golf)

- play some of the games in Rayman (Dancing, Bunny Hunt, cow throwing, etc)

- play some Zelda. Especialy the lure fishing (NOT the crappy fishing at the start! :P), and just enjoy running around cutting grass (yes, that sounds lame ;).

- then jump out, and use the News channel from your couch to catch up on world events

- download/play a couple of fav VC titles (whatever you like!)

- then pop in ExciteTruck, and win a few medals (needs to be played for a while)

I half recommend RedSteel (its also easy to dislike), but from what Ive heard The Godfather is a better substitute.

(EDIT - Nintendo say "Playing is believing", and that isn't a catch phrase - its the truth. Just go play some, preferably in the company of people that NEVER PLAY GAMES).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

"Wouldn't flaming me only encourage me to flame?"

Wouldn't your flaming everyone on the forum who remotely likes the Wii encourage them to flame you?

There's two sides to the same coin, you know...

"But I am willing to give it ONE LAST CHANCE!"

Good for you. Maybe you can give it ONE LAST CHANCE by actually spending time with the console instead of flaming it all the time. 

Hus said:

its a gimmick, if you like things like that go for it.

Elmo can see you!

Woohoo! Go Hus!! You just couldn't resist, could you ;)

Keep this up, and we'll think you are working for Sesame Street rather than Sony

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
Hus said:

its a gimmick, if you like things like that go for it.

Elmo can see you!

Woohoo! Go Hus!! You just couldn't resist, could you ;)

Keep this up, and we'll think you are working for Sesame Street rather than Sony

I am getting good responses, please don't ruin my thread....PLEASE! I am asking nice, if you don't like what he said don't respond. I am getting some goodfeedback and would like it to continue.

Predicting the Future - 360 Will get to 11 Million in the USA this year!!

Predicting the Future - Wii will NOT win this gen in America!!

Prediciting the Future - The PS3 will pass the Wii by 2009!!