By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Educate Me About The Wii's Controls

ranzchic said:

Simply describing it to you is pretty much useless.

If you have a Wii, go rent Godfather Wii.

Throwing a mobster from a ledge. Choking a whore. Strangling a cop. Punching an innocent soul. Yes, you will feel dirty. Yes, you will feel satisfied. Yes, you will feel guilty. I need to go an play some more now.

I agree, we can explain it but unless you play it then it's useless, also you have to give yourself time to get use to the controls, if you play for like 5 minutes you won't get certain games. Because belive it or not we are used to pushing buttons to play games, and they is a huge step away from the norm.

Around the Network

its a gimmick, if you like things like that go for it.

Elmo can see you!

Jesus fucking christ, someone ban HUS as well. Like soon.

Hus said:

How does that help the thread in any way?

tabsina said:
Hus said:

How does that help the thread in any way?

Please if we don't respond to it, it will go away!

Around the Network
ranzchic said:

Simply describing it to you is pretty much useless.

If you have a Wii, go rent Godfather Wii.

Throwing a mobster from a ledge. Choking a whore. Strangling a cop. Punching an innocent soul. Yes, you will feel dirty. Yes, you will feel satisfied. Yes, you will feel guilty. I need to go an play some more now.

And don't forget to mention Wii Play. Despise it bad review (demo game, blah blah blah...), the control is great. When you feel like your head going to explode after searching Zelda TP Lakebed Temple/Sky Temple, one or two round playing billiards or shooting range will make you feel better

Games I own for the Wii:

Wario Ware

Wii Sports

Zelda TP

Godfather

Wii Play

It's kinda hard to explain the controls - really you need to have a try yourself but I'll do my best to explain.

Of the games listed Zelda is probably  the most remeniscent of a traditional control layout (I assume that you have played at least one of the 3D Zelda games before). You use the analogue stick on the nuncuck to run about, lower shoulder button on the nunchuck to Z-Target and upper shoulder button on the nunchuck to look about. The wiimote basically acts as a second analogue stick allthough there are obvious advantages in that aiming with the wiimote is far more intuitive.

Imagine you are fighting an enemy in Zelda - you lock on with the z-button and various gestures combined with button presses can pull of different moves. Flick the nunchuck forward with your left hand and link bashes the enemy with his sheild. Follow this up with a slashing gesture of the wiimote and you can attack the enemy with your sword while his gaurd is temporarily down. It's all very sensible really and feels perfectly natural once you get into it.

Godfather  - you should take a look at the youtube vids as they explain it far better than I could. 

A good example from Wii Sports is baseball as it translates your movements 1:1 rather than relying on gestures - just holding your bat up and waggling it is quite remarkable in it's accuracy.

Another good 'un from the wiisports line up is the boxing game - obviously you throw punches with the wiimote and nunchuck. What's really cool though is that your bobbing and weaving is picked up by the game in a 1:1 fashion - this game is far from perfect but it does open the door for someone else to come in and produce a truly remarkable boxing game. 

WarioWare is a reall tour deforce for the wiimote and is a great laugh with a few friends around. It really showcases what can be done and the accuracy of the wiimote.

The only area where I'm not convinced is driving games - There's a mini game in WarioWare where you use the wiimote as a steering wheel. It works pretty damned well but the lack of resistance against your movements is a bit odd and I'm frankly more inclined to pick up Forza 2 and Microsofts wireless wheel for my driving fix. 

Anyway, like I said at the start, you really need to try it for yourself. Don't go hating against a system before you've even givin it a go!

The graphics suffer on the wii - particularly on an HD set like the one I play mine on, but it's easy to put these out of your mind once you get engrossed in a game - and the unique controls certainly help in that respect. 

1. Go to Blockbuster
  2. Rent Wii and small selection of games
  3. Make some friends and invite them over
  4. Have fun

Regardless, if you like gaming, you'll probably have to buy a Wii this generation. It's cheap enough and if current trends continue, most of the software will come out for it, that you probably won't resist for long. Unless of course, you were one of the few rare breeds that only had a Gamecube or an XBOX last gen.

Good opened-minded question PS360N64PSXBOX.  We should all learn from your example.

Here's my 2 cents.  Now I'm all for HD graphics, but personally I don't want to see this generation go by without a controller like the Wi-mote.

The Wi-mote has gotten me, an X-gamer back in video games.  Even I got frustrated last generation with all the extra buttons.  Good for all you guys who were able to stick with it, but the Wi-mote is a breath of fresh air for me.  There's something about motion that just feels more real when done right.

Here's a list of things I love so far.

Multi-Player Advantages 

Ease of Use:
I love the pick up and play ability and that anyone can enjoy the Wii.  Wii Sports is a blast to play with people and the controller concept is so easy that even non-gamers want to try it.  Baseball...just swing the bat.  Bowling...just throw the ball.  You get the idea.  And that's when they get hooked.  No longer are people grumbling, "what button was that again?"  Even my wife who hated video games in the past, loves the Wii because it's so intuative (she's other reason I stopped playing video games).

The Ultimate Party Machine:
If you only play Wii alone, you're robbing yourself of half the experience.  Strangely, it's just as fun to watch your family and friends make those ridiculous motions as it is to watch the actual game itself.  You can't get that experience with a standard controller.  Watch your grandpa hit a homerun or your four year old brother sink a hole in one.  Everyone can play.  It won't be long before you're wiping the tears of laughter from your eyes, clapping your loved ones upside the back and waging good-natured rivalries.

Single-Player Advantages 

Testosterone Fueled Motion:
Don't you ever get the urge to go outside and beat the crap out of something?  Well the Wii lets you unleash those bottled up emotions.  I love actually slashing a sword in Zelda, throwing punches in Wii boxing and clubbing some shopkeeper over the head in the Godfather brings a wicked grin to my lips.  And just wait for Manhunt 2.  Just imagine making stabbing motions to make kills.  It feels so much more real.  I'll take that feeling over HD graphics this generation.

Laser Sights:
FPS.  Point and shoot.  It's that simple.  Like you're using laser sights.  I was playing Halo 2 the other week on my friend's 360 and the most frustrating thing for me was moving that darn analog stick to quickly target enemies.  The Wii-mote is SOOOOOOO much easier.  In my opinion the ideal set up is using the analog stick to move your character on the Nunchuk and pointing with the Wii-mote to shoot.  It feels like aiming a real projectile weapon.

Building Up A Sweat:
Another big pay off is actual physical activity.  No longer do I feel like I'm sitting on the couch rotting.  You can work up quite a sweat with certain games.  I feel much more limber and have even lost a few pounds.  I feel better about myself and the Wii-mote actually got me working out again.  There's something about phyiscal activity that makes you want to do more physical activity.  Perhaps it's the feeling of being alive that people are falling so in love with Wii.

Anyway, that's enough reasons for now.  My best advice to you is try it before you write it off.  To quote Gamejew, "Take the Wii-mote in your hand, now you understand."