By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Educate Me About The Wii's Controls

As you know I am not the biggest Wii fan in the world...I am not the most experienced either..But I have enough to feel I hate it. But I am willing to give it ONE LAST CHANCE!. So what better way than to ask actual Wii owners about how the controls work on various games(I played limited ones) and better explain them to me.

So tell me what games you played and how the Wiimote and Nunchuck device was used during gameplay...Basically what you did and how they work. Maybe you can convince me to drop my hatred of the Wii and support it...Or atleast hate it less....Mircales can happen right? This wouldn't be the first system I didn't like at first but got later..

SYSTEMS I DIDN'T SUPPORT AT FIRST BUT OWNED LATER OR WAS CONVINCED TO GET

Super Nintendo (I got the Sega Genesis First)

Sony Playstation (I almost got a Saturn...But my friend convinced me I should get a Playstation)

Gamecube and Xbox (PS2 first, never hated the xbox just got it later and wwe day of reckoning got me to get the GC...Didn't like it before)

Nintendo DS (Why do I play this?)

Predicting the Future - 360 Will get to 11 Million in the USA this year!!

Predicting the Future - Wii will NOT win this gen in America!!

Prediciting the Future - The PS3 will pass the Wii by 2009!!

Around the Network

Ask your grandpa?

Why should any of us care if you like the Wii or not?

There is something I dont understand with the controls. If I want to play Wii games that need motionsensor I need to use the wiimote. Then there is classic controller and gamecube controller. Can I use the classic controller to play gamecube games? Or use gc controll for classic games? My friend said that I cant use the classic controller for gc games. 

gamingdevil said:
Why should any of us care if you like the Wii or not?

Ask your grandpa?

I knew from the start I would get this response. Keep them coming, you are proving my believes on Wii owners with  posts like these. They are all negative.  You ask Wii owners about their system and they would rather attack you and mock you....Hmmmm.....Just as I thought....Do any of you even own a Wii or just claim you do?

Around the Network
Yojimbo said:

There is something I dont understand with the controls. If I want to play Wii games that need motionsensor I need to use the wiimote. Then there is classic controller and gamecube controller. Can I use the classic controller to play gamecube games? Or use gc controll for classic games? My friend said that I cant use the classic controller for gc games. 

Hmmmm. I wonder if they will answer you or just mock you. Look it up, seriously, it's alot less annoying than asking.

If it is your intention to ask honestly, I willl respond so.

You mentioned Zelda : Twilight Princess in another thread, so I'll state my own opinion on that.

You're used to using a traditional gamepad for games, so it will take some getting used to.  How to explain it.... hmm.... let's say you're in a recliner, instead of having both hands in your lap or on your stomach, holding a gamepad, you have each arm on the armrest.  A sword attack is comparable to.. say.. well, at your computer raise your mouse hand about 1-1.5 inches above the table and just do 2 light taps a second about 5-6 times, that's about how fast and often you'd use the sword until you learn more advanced sword techniques.  A spin slash, which you also learn at the beginning, is executed by a simple left-right shake of the nunchuck, which you can still do while resting the arm on the armrest. :)

A bow and arrow are also very easy, once you've had a few shots you'll be waiting longer for the bow to reload than you will aiming with it, if your sensitivity is matched to your skill. :)

Again, if you're serious, I'll gladly discuss it further once you reply.  If not, I won't bother you furthermore. 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Yojimbo said:

I don't own the Wii, but I've read that the classic games can be played with GC controller, but not the other way around.

Yojimbo said:

the classic controller can only be used on virtual console games.
the gamecube controller can't be used on virtual console, but can be used on wii and gamecube games.

edit: sorry, but there seems to be some different info on wikipedia:

The Classic Controller cannot be used to play games for the Nintendo GameCube. According to the Nintendo Online Shop, the Classic Controller can only be used with Virtual Console games (although some Wii games, such as Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 can be played with the classic controller). The GameCube controller can be used instead of the Classic Controller for playing most Virtual Console games. When in the Wii's channel menu, the left analog stick takes control of the cursor when the remote is not pointed at the screen. The classic controller can navigate through the Message Board, Settings menus, Shop Channel, and News Channel; but becomes inactive on the Mii, Photo, Forecast, Internet, and Everybody Votes Channels.

vanguardian1 said:

If it is your intention to ask honestly, I willl respond so.

You mentioned Zelda : Twilight Princess in another thread, so I'll state my own opinion on that.

You're used to using a traditional gamepad for games, so it will take some getting used to.  How to explain it.... hmm.... let's say you're in a recliner, instead of having both hands in your lap or on your stomach, holding a gamepad, you have each arm on the armrest.  A sword attack is comparable to.. say.. well, at your computer raise your mouse hand about 1-1.5 inches above the table and just do 2 light taps a second about 5-6 times, that's about how fast and often you'd use the sword until you learn more advanced sword techniques.  A spin slash, which you also learn at the beginning, is executed by a simple left-right shake of the nunchuck, which you can still do while resting the arm on the armrest. :)

A bow and arrow are also very easy, once you've had a few shots you'll be waiting longer for the bow to reload than you will aiming with it, if your sensitivity is matched to your skill. :)

Again, if you're serious, I'll gladly discuss it further once you reply.  If not, I won't bother you furthermore. 

I am serious, and thank you for answering me. I am serious, I just wasn't really expecting to get any responses. Do I want to know more? Yes, This is an honest request...But I just don't think I'll get many like yours...So please lead the way and maybe people will follow you...Which Is what I want.

left right shake? I saw red steel and I thought slashes were done a little different than that. I still wonder about games were you need to kick or use the characters legs.