By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Educate Me About The Wii's Controls

PS360N64PSXBOX said:
gamingdevil said:
Why should any of us care if you like the Wii or not?

Ask your grandpa?

I knew from the start I would get this response. Keep them coming, you are proving my believes on Wii owners with  posts like these. They are all negative.  You ask Wii owners about their system and they would rather attack you and mock you....Hmmmm.....Just as I thought....Do any of you even own a Wii or just claim you do?

C'mon dude, I just kidding. You took it too seriously. Dude, you really need playing Wario Ware badly.

BTW of course I have Wii, that's my 2 year-old son playing fishing game in Zelda TP. Peace.

Around the Network
PS360N64PSXBOX said:
vanguardian1 said:

If it is your intention to ask honestly, I willl respond so.

You mentioned Zelda : Twilight Princess in another thread, so I'll state my own opinion on that.

You're used to using a traditional gamepad for games, so it will take some getting used to.  How to explain it.... hmm.... let's say you're in a recliner, instead of having both hands in your lap or on your stomach, holding a gamepad, you have each arm on the armrest.  A sword attack is comparable to.. say.. well, at your computer raise your mouse hand about 1-1.5 inches above the table and just do 2 light taps a second about 5-6 times, that's about how fast and often you'd use the sword until you learn more advanced sword techniques.  A spin slash, which you also learn at the beginning, is executed by a simple left-right shake of the nunchuck, which you can still do while resting the arm on the armrest. :)

A bow and arrow are also very easy, once you've had a few shots you'll be waiting longer for the bow to reload than you will aiming with it, if your sensitivity is matched to your skill. :)

Again, if you're serious, I'll gladly discuss it further once you reply.  If not, I won't bother you furthermore. 

I am serious, and thank you for answering me. I am serious, I just wasn't really expecting to get any responses. Do I want to know more? Yes, This is an honest request...But I just don't think I'll get many like yours...So please lead the way and maybe people will follow you...Which Is what I want.

left right shake? I saw red steel and I thought slashes were done a little different than that. I still wonder about games were you need to kick or use the characters legs.

well, every game has its methods. when in traditional controllers you have button combos to do actions, with the wii you can combine buttons and movements.

godfather for the wii is one of the best implementations for a gta-like game: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6K0TahMr2RA

edit: this one is more complete - http://youtube.com/watch?v=kzpIp0YofWc

Here are the games I own and how I feel about the controls:

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Vanguardian has explained quite good how it works, so I will try to explain how I feel about it. First of all I have to say that I was in fear that the controls won't work and I considered getting this game for the gamecube that I can use the old control scheme. but now that I have played it I feel truly satisfied. For me, it felt almost the same as with a controller, just with slight improvements. I got used to it very fast and it felt great. and please believe me that this is not fanboy stuff but my true opinion.

Excite Truck:

You control this game by holding the wiimote horizontally and move it as you would move a steering wheel. the game plays like burnout, it is very arcade but the controls are great, i am just not sure if it would work with every racing game.

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves and Rayman: Raving Rabbits

These games offer a new kind of gameplay and are designed for the wiimote, so the controls are very good and make fun. if you want to know more about those games you can ask me, but i don't think that you are interested in that sort of gameplay.

the important thing for me is zelda. this game showed me that classic gameplay works very well with the wii.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

r2007: I hope that I have understood right. You only need to own Wiimote+(of couse nunchuch)+GC control to play all games. It would have been to expensive to have all 3 controls to play all games :D

Yojimbo said:
r2007: I hope that I have understood right. You only need to own Wiimote+(of couse nunchuch)+GC control to play all games. It would have been to expensive to have all 3 controls to play all games :D

yes, that's what i assume also from that info. I have a gamecube controller, but i haven't bought yet any classic game from virtual console so I didn't use it.

Around the Network
r2007 said:
PS360N64PSXBOX said:
vanguardian1 said:

If it is your intention to ask honestly, I willl respond so.

You mentioned Zelda : Twilight Princess in another thread, so I'll state my own opinion on that.

You're used to using a traditional gamepad for games, so it will take some getting used to.  How to explain it.... hmm.... let's say you're in a recliner, instead of having both hands in your lap or on your stomach, holding a gamepad, you have each arm on the armrest.  A sword attack is comparable to.. say.. well, at your computer raise your mouse hand about 1-1.5 inches above the table and just do 2 light taps a second about 5-6 times, that's about how fast and often you'd use the sword until you learn more advanced sword techniques.  A spin slash, which you also learn at the beginning, is executed by a simple left-right shake of the nunchuck, which you can still do while resting the arm on the armrest. :)

A bow and arrow are also very easy, once you've had a few shots you'll be waiting longer for the bow to reload than you will aiming with it, if your sensitivity is matched to your skill. :)

Again, if you're serious, I'll gladly discuss it further once you reply.  If not, I won't bother you furthermore. 

I am serious, and thank you for answering me. I am serious, I just wasn't really expecting to get any responses. Do I want to know more? Yes, This is an honest request...But I just don't think I'll get many like yours...So please lead the way and maybe people will follow you...Which Is what I want.

left right shake? I saw red steel and I thought slashes were done a little different than that. I still wonder about games were you need to kick or use the characters legs.

well, every game has its methods. when in traditional controllers you have button combos to do actions, with the wii you can combine buttons and movements.

godfather for the wii is one of the best implementations for a gta-like game: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6K0TahMr2RA

edit: this one is more complete - http://youtube.com/watch?v=kzpIp0YofWc

That looks different....I will look at the video later..But I should try that for myself.  Thanks for the video, I heard about the game but never saw it..I still wonder if it is as free range as GTA, like do I have to lock on to people to fight or can I just smack em as I walk by like in GTA.

Predicting the Future - 360 Will get to 11 Million in the USA this year!!

Predicting the Future - Wii will NOT win this gen in America!!

Prediciting the Future - The PS3 will pass the Wii by 2009!!

First: I think this is a great post. Beeing interested in other consoles is something many gamers are not able to.

Okay let´s start:

Many people already mentioned Twilight Princess and in short: It just feels better swinging the Wiimote than pressing a button ever felt. Of course there is no 1:1 motion in the game but imagine you could actually swing your Wiimote in the next Zelda game. It just feels great.

Mario Galaxy is another good example: In this game you control a little cursor with your remote and if you scroll the cursor over several things in the game world you can interact with it. You can grap enemies, make rockets stand still or click on little blue stars to make Mario fly through the galaxy. In many games the Wiimote feels pretty tacked on and this is true. But good developed games use the Wiimote to intense the experience, games like Mario. In good developed games you don´t even notice there is something "revolutionary" cuz it just feels intuitive. While you had to use the control stick to use your bow in previous Zelda games you can just aim the screen now, which works much faster and more accurate.

The Wiimote also gets you better posibilities to change your playstile: you don´t have to hold your hands in front of you - actually I let one hand lie down on one side of my body. This is very comfortable and shaking the Wiimote doesn´t need much of a movement.

Using the Wiimote to play racing games is much better than usign a control stick. And every Review about Call of Duty and Medal of Honor on Wii I read said the games controls are much better than with a control stick (still they are not as good as a mouse ---> gamepad < Wiimote < mouse).

Playing a game while using gestures is pretty fun and once you played Zelda on Wii you don´t want to go back anymore.

And of course: the Wiimote is something new and you can change the way you play (Nunchuk, Classic Controller, no attachement) which is something you couldn´t do before and holding a controller in one hand is pretty cool too.

OK here are the games I own:

And before I start let me say this, all those previews where you see people swinging their arms all over the place is crazy most if not all the movements can be done with simple flicks of the Wii-mote.

Zelda TP: Bascailly like what vanguardian1 said.

Excite Truck: Takes a bit to get used to because it's so sensitive but becomes amazing simple to control, you hold the Wii-mote to the side a steer like a normal truck.

WarioWare: That's like a big tech demo but fun, it will show you almost everything that the Wii-mote can do.

DragonballZ: This game can be play three ways: Wiimote/classic controller/GC controller, With the Wii-mote there are so many different things I would be able to type them all but you can shake the nunchuck down to dash at your oppention, and to do special moves you do them like they did on the cartoon. Goku kamehameha you pulls the Wii-mote back then forward but you must hold certain buttons that way you won't do moves unless you want to.

Sonic: Sonic runs on his own so you really just move him from left to right, you press 2 to jump and shake the Wii-mote to attack, press up on the D-Pad to activate the Super Speed and down to activate the time freeze.

Metal Slug: No Motion controls except shaking the Nunchuck to throw a grenade.

FarCry: Like the PC keyboard and mouse, but you have to set the sensitivity right other wise the Wii-mote will have you going in circle shake the Nunchuck to reload.

Godfather: The You tube video.

Wii Play/Wii Sport: Tech demos they show alot of the potential uses of the Wii-mote much like WarioWare but they have longer games.

Trauma Center: You use the Wii-mote mostly as a pointer, but with varias different uses, for example you might a scapel where you press B to cut someone normally on a certain mission you use it to unscrew a bomb you have to turn the Wii-mote like you would a screw driver.

Rayman: It has various controller as well, kinda like Warioware but with better graphics and longer games, like on one game you spin a cow around a throw him, well you have to spin the Wii-mote around a then press B to let go, also there is a game on Rayman that is like a on rails shooter might let you know how RE: UC will play.

Red Steel: Like PC keyboard and mouse, but when sword fighting you have two swords, you can swing the Wii-mote in different directions to swing your sword around whil using the Nunchuck to parry.

I own a few more games I will put those up in a little while. Also, you can play some VC games with the GC controller but no GC games with the classic controller. Also you can play some VC games with the Wii-mote.

Personally I think Zelda's best implementations outside of the pointer-aim function is the ease of utilizing a combination of sword attacks, which can get downright intense if you choose to fight the tougher opponents with sword techniques rather than exploiting their weaknesses. But holy-hell is it fun. ^_^

Easy example :

A group of Mob-goblins charging you together. I'd lock onto the first one, then do a leap-slash (the first technique you learn by default, the rest are hidden) with lock-on while the sword is drawn, and hit A. Link would leap-slash right onto him, also putting you in the middle of the enemy group. The moment the slash stops I'd shake the nunchuck left-right real quick to do a spin slash, pretty much knocking all non-defending enemies for a free flight. If 2+ of them blocked, I'd quickly lock on, pull back on the analog stick, and hit A again and do a big back flip out of short-range danger. If 1 was knocked down but still alive, I'd use another sword technique to "finish him". :)  You could easily do the first 2 and either of the possible steps in less than 3 seconds. :)

Oh yeah, the fishing pole is hella fun too when you get to the lake, the straight rod fishing is rather dull. :-/

I think if you don't utilize the sword techniques or use the aim weapons much, you won't notice too much difference in the playing betwee the Wii version and Gamecube version. If I can find the old camcorder, I suppose I could record some quick sessions with Zelda (and/or Red Steel, Super Monkey Ball, Wii Sports, and tommorow Super Paper Mario). Personally I've seen very few Wii videos that really show what you can do with the controls once you get good at them. :)

Edit : I need to hit the sack, I'll check the thread again when I get up. :) 'Night all.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Simply describing it to you is pretty much useless.

If you have a Wii, go rent Godfather Wii.

Throwing a mobster from a ledge. Choking a whore. Strangling a cop. Punching an innocent soul. Yes, you will feel dirty. Yes, you will feel satisfied. Yes, you will feel guilty. I need to go an play some more now.