By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Educate Me About The Wii's Controls

PS360N64PSXBOX said:
shams said:
Hus said:

its a gimmick, if you like things like that go for it.

Elmo can see you!

Woohoo! Go Hus!! You just couldn't resist, could you ;)

Keep this up, and we'll think you are working for Sesame Street rather than Sony

I am getting good responses, please don't ruin my thread....PLEASE! I am asking nice, if you don't like what he said don't respond. I am getting some goodfeedback and would like it to continue.

Hmmm... and instead of responding to his post, or responding to my post (see two above) that directly asks you a question relevant to your thread... you respond to this? (nothing more to say).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
shams said:

The Wiimote isn't for everyone - and it does take time to get used to. I have a couple of "hard-core" gamers (including one die-hard Ninty fan) who really dislike it. But I love it, and it all varies.

Some Wii games *SUCK*. I hate Monkey Ball, and dislike a few others. If you start with the wrong games, you may end up with a bad impression.

So to start... what have you played? What is your experience with the Wii to date?

I recommend as a "starter course":

- a solid start with Wii Sports (Tennis, Bowling, Golf)

- play some of the games in Rayman (Dancing, Bunny Hunt, cow throwing, etc)

- play some Zelda. Especialy the lure fishing (NOT the crappy fishing at the start! :P), and just enjoy running around cutting grass (yes, that sounds lame ;).

- then jump out, and use the News channel from your couch to catch up on world events

- download/play a couple of fav VC titles (whatever you like!)

- then pop in ExciteTruck, and win a few medals (needs to be played for a while)

I half recommend RedSteel (its also easy to dislike), but from what Ive heard The Godfather is a better substitute.

(EDIT - Nintendo say "Playing is believing", and that isn't a catch phrase - its the truth. Just go play some, preferably in the company of people that NEVER PLAY GAMES).

I was majorly dissapointed i ExciteTruck and RedSteel both.

And I just wanna say that a HD internet browser is better for news. :) 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:

do you read news? or do you watch news?  it's just that i dont understand why HD is better for reading news. and i dont think internet news video comes in HD anyways either.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

shams said:
PS360N64PSXBOX said:

As you know I am not the biggest Wii fan in the world...I am not the most experienced either..But I have enough to feel I hate it. But I am willing to give it ONE LAST CHANCE!. So what better way than to ask actual Wii owners about how the controls work on various games(I played limited ones) and better explain them to me.

So tell me what games you played and how the Wiimote and Nunchuck device was used during gameplay...Basically what you did and how they work. Maybe you can convince me to drop my hatred of the Wii and support it...Or atleast hate it less....Mircales can happen right? This wouldn't be the first system I didn't like at first but got later..

The Wiimote isn't for everyone - and it does take time to get used to. I have a couple of "hard-core" gamers (including one die-hard Ninty fan) who really dislike it. But I love it, and it all varies.

Some Wii games *SUCK*. I hate Monkey Ball, and dislike a few others. If you start with the wrong games, you may end up with a bad impression.

So to start... what have you played? What is your experience with the Wii to date?

I recommend as a "starter course":

- a solid start with Wii Sports (Tennis, Bowling, Golf)

- play some of the games in Rayman (Dancing, Bunny Hunt, cow throwing, etc)

- play some Zelda. Especialy the lure fishing (NOT the crappy fishing at the start! :P), and just enjoy running around cutting grass (yes, that sounds lame ;).

- then jump out, and use the News channel from your couch to catch up on world events

- download/play a couple of fav VC titles (whatever you like!)

- then pop in ExciteTruck, and win a few medals (needs to be played for a while)

I half recommend RedSteel (its also easy to dislike), but from what Ive heard The Godfather is a better substitute.

(EDIT - Nintendo say "Playing is believing", and that isn't a catch phrase - its the truth. Just go play some, preferably in the company of people that NEVER PLAY GAMES).

Just Legand Of Zelda The Twilight Princess. I liked it better on GC, I couldn't get used to the controls and felt akward and weird. That was around late december. I never touched it again. But I started to think maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. I even had a list of games I wanted to try..Maybe somebody tried them.

Legand Of Zelda The Twilight Princess - Should play it more than I did

Red Steel

Prince Of Persia: Rival Swords

The Godfather: Blackhand edition

Medal Of Honor: Vanguard

Call Of Duty 3

Far Cry Vengence

Madden 2007

Obviously Wii SPorts

Thats it for now. ANybody play them? I think they are all out.

Predicting the Future - 360 Will get to 11 Million in the USA this year!!

Predicting the Future - Wii will NOT win this gen in America!!

Prediciting the Future - The PS3 will pass the Wii by 2009!!

why spend the time trying to like something?   when the right game comes along, you won't need to give it "one more try", coz it'll "work right".

for now, i think other than wii sports and wario ware, there's really nothing that "works right".  they're merely "okay", especially for veteran gamers.  those 2 are obviously not meant for "gamers", so it'll be a while.

zelda controls (i didn't play through it, just tried here and there) seemed gimmicky, i don't think they add to the game that much.  ultimately, wii owners rave about the controls because of the added experience.  maybe godfather does a little of bit of that, but the first potential "feel right" "real" game in my mind would be no more heroes, where the game would be integrated with the control (hopefully).

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network
Lingyis said:

why spend the time trying to like something?   when the right game comes along, you won't need to give it "one more try", coz it'll "work right".

for now, i think other than wii sports and wario ware, there's really nothing that "works right".  they're merely "okay", especially for veteran gamers.  those 2 are obviously not meant for "gamers", so it'll be a while.

zelda controls (i didn't play through it, just tried here and there) seemed gimmicky, i don't think they add to the game that much.  ultimately, wii owners rave about the controls because of the added experience.  maybe godfather does a little of bit of that, but the first potential "feel right" "real" game in my mind would be no more heroes, where the game would be integrated with the control (hopefully).

I would only know if I played them....That costs money I don't have.

well then you should just wait a while, maybe until at least after no more heroes or metroid comes out.

paper mario looks a lot of fun, but the wii controls don't add anything of real value to the game.

so yeah, i'd say lay off the wii for now if you already have a console.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Lingyis said:

well then you should just wait a while, maybe until at least after no more heroes or metroid comes out.

paper mario looks a lot of fun, but the wii controls don't add anything of real value to the game.

so yeah, i'd say lay off the wii for now if you already have a console.

I only have an xbox and am looking into next gen systems because there are no games coming for XB and it's crapping out on me.

Delusional said:
Kwaad said:

do you read news? or do you watch news? it's just that i dont understand why HD is better for reading news. and i dont think internet news video comes in HD anyways either.

HD = higher resolution which means you can fit more words on the screen at one time.  I've seen the Playstation Network at TV res and on my monitor at 720p and it looks a lot better on the monitor.  They adjust it so that more downloads show, a download history is there, and more text is shown.  I've run 1600x1200 on CRTs for years and I'm not a big fan of browsing at lower resolutions.  Try changing your monitor resolution to a TV's and then read this forum.  You'll see then.

windbane said:
Delusional said:
Kwaad said:

do you read news? or do you watch news? it's just that i dont understand why HD is better for reading news. and i dont think internet news video comes in HD anyways either.

HD = higher resolution which means you can fit more words on the screen at one time. I've seen the Playstation Network at TV res and on my monitor at 720p and it looks a lot better on the monitor. They adjust it so that more downloads show, a download history is there, and more text is shown. I've run 1600x1200 on CRTs for years and I'm not a big fan of browsing at lower resolutions. Try changing your monitor resolution to a TV's and then read this forum. You'll see then.

The whole point of the news channel is that it works great on SD. If I miss my nightly world news (SBS in Australia), then I always try and catch up on the Wii. Works great - I prefer this to using a PC (have one all setup less than 5m from my couch at home...). Its not about browsing - its about reading the news :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099