By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN:The Fight: Lights Out Review (HORRID!!!)

snowdog said:

Apparently there is nothing wrong with the control response or the interpretation of motions. There's a more in-depth and informative review here.

It seems that unlike the likes of Red Steel 2 and Tiger Woods the game doesn't hold your hand and isn't forgiving. When throwing punches you need to make sure that you're standing the right distance away from your opponent otherwise if you're standing too close it may appear that your punches are not responding to your actions. From the iWaggle review I get the impression that this takes a great deal of skill to play well and has a steep learning curve...which makes a change from just about every game released these days being too easy. On the strength of the IWaggle review I'm going to buy this game.

It'll get similar reviews to the likes of the Video Gamer and IGN one unfortunately, but not because the game or the controls are crap, but because it's a true fight simulator and for most reviewers (who will have completely missed the observations made by some guy that isn't actually paid to do reviews) the game will be too difficult. I'm relishing playing a game that requires a great deal of time and effort to master for once. A definite purchase from me, check out the iWaggle review before you make your decision.

Sounds like the game is playing you.

Around the Network

I've played it on Gamescom and yes It's a bad game!

snowdog said:

Apparently there is nothing wrong with the control response or the interpretation of motions. There's a more in-depth and informative review here.

It seems that unlike the likes of Red Steel 2 and Tiger Woods the game doesn't hold your hand and isn't forgiving. When throwing punches you need to make sure that you're standing the right distance away from your opponent otherwise if you're standing too close it may appear that your punches are not responding to your actions. From the iWaggle review I get the impression that this takes a great deal of skill to play well and has a steep learning curve...which makes a change from just about every game released these days being too easy. On the strength of the IWaggle review I'm going to buy this game.

It'll get similar reviews to the likes of the Video Gamer and IGN one unfortunately, but not because the game or the controls are crap, but because it's a true fight simulator and for most reviewers (who will have completely missed the observations made by some guy that isn't actually paid to do reviews) the game will be too difficult. I'm relishing playing a game that requires a great deal of time and effort to master for once. A definite purchase from me, check out the iWaggle review before you make your decision.

404, not found. Very informative indeed!

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
snowdog said:

Here's the vid:

After watching that vid, I'm definitely purchasing this game.  The issues he talks are completely patchable.  Mainly having a fixed distance and having your character partly transparent.  Hopefully they will add these options soon.

thismeintiel said:
huaxiong90 said:
snowdog said:

Here's the vid:

After watching that vid, I'm definitely purchasing this game.  The issues he talks are completely patchable.  Mainly having a fixed distance and having your character partly transparent.  Hopefully they will add these options soon.

They should've fixed that from the beginning...now the damage has already been done, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

While I never really liked the look of this game, I expected 6 or 7s for it

Look at the bright side, at least the price on it will drop quickly.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

huaxiong90 said:
thismeintiel said:
huaxiong90 said:
snowdog said:

Here's the vid:

They should've fixed that from the beginning...now the damage has already been done, I'm afraid.

For some I suppose.  I'm still gettin it, though.  But I still don't see how hit detection can be misinterpreted as "unresponsive control".  By the vid, you can obviously see it's nearly 1:1, with the hit detection stopping your character's arms from doing exactly what you did in real life.  Sports Champion does the same with it's gladiator duel.  Shouldn't IGN, probably one of the largest, if not the largest, review sites said something more in tune with, "The controls are responsive, unfortunately when you aren't close enough or too close, it gives you a feeling that your movements/hits aren't being registered."  I just think this small independent reviewer gave a much more in depth review than IGN.

thismeintiel said:

For some I suppose.  I'm still gettin it, though.  But I still don't see how hit detection can be misinterpreted as "unresponsive control".  By the vid, you can obviously see it's nearly 1:1, with the hit detection stopping your character's arms from doing exactly what you did in real life.  Sports Champion does the same with it's gladiator duel.  Shouldn't IGN, probably one of the largest, if not the largest, review sites said something more in tune with, "The controls are responsive, unfortunately when you aren't close enough or too close, it gives you a feeling that your movements/hits aren't being registered."  I just think this small independent reviewer gave a much more in depth review than IGN.

True, but now the question lies in whether there was a tutorial in-game or in the booklet which describes the hit detection or not. If there is, then IGN's obviously at fault. If not, then in my opinion they had a right to rate down the game. I think the score's rather too harsh, but if the hit detection was intentional to some extent, they should have cleared that up. It's one thing to not be forgiving, it's another to be completely confusing due to broken mechanics rather than game design.

huaxiong90 said:
thismeintiel said:

True, but now the question lies in whether there was a tutorial in-game or in the booklet which describes the hit detection or not. If there is, then IGN's obviously at fault. If not, then in my opinion they had a right to rate down the game. I think the score's rather too harsh, but if the hit detection was intentional to some extent, they should have cleared that up. It's one thing to not be forgiving, it's another to be completely confusing due to broken mechanics rather than game design.

Yes, I would hope they have something to explain it to people who expect something else fromt he game.  On the other hand, if you hit someone in real life and you're too close, your arm isn't going to pass completely through their body.  It just makes sense if they were going for a more realistic form of fighting.  Don't get me wrong, not having a fixed position or tranparency option is definitely a reason to take points away.  But really, a 3?  That's usually for games that are completely unplayable and/or glitchy as hell.  Judging by iWaggle's vid, I would imagine a more appropriate score would be between a 6 or 7.