By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN:The Fight: Lights Out Review (HORRID!!!)

Wasn't this the game used in the Kevin Butler ad where he was making fun of Wii boxing?

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network

For the record, I told you all this game was bad months ago, and despite none of you having played it, you jumped down my throat like I was some insane anti-Sony person.

bmmb1 said:

Wasn't this the game used in the Kevin Butler ad where he was making fun of Wii boxing?

Yep. Even though Kevin Butler got in the sucker punch, Wii boxing won the match.

Anywho, one game doesn't make the hardware... but it's still disappointing to see The Fight not live up to its potential.

Ajescent said:
Linkasf said:
Galaki said:
indodude said:
slow and inaccurate control mechanics are frustrating

This is not going to end well, with the endless praises the posters here gave PSMove...

Those praises were probably "Blind Praises" . When a game is bad, it's bad. Doesnt mean the controls are right?

just because 1 game is supposedly shit, doesn't mean the controller is shit, if that was the case, we might as well call the ps3 shit because of Lair, 360 shit because of Too Human etc. 1 bad game does not a controller make.

Way to read my post wrong. I was not being sarcastic on my last sentence.

other then the control problems they are comparing this to other ps3 games, they arent reviewing it as a move game.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

I just read the review, and it seams to me that the reviewer kinda missed the point of this "fight simulator". I was always under the impression that this game is not 1:1 and mot trying to be. Endlessly throwing fast and faster punches at an air opponent is not how real fights would go down. I presume that a trained boxer would throw a miriad of fast punches, but a normal green fighter would not. The stamina of the fighter serves this purpose. 

That being said, pressing buttons for blocking sux, and pressing a button and tilting the controller for moving also sux. The automove in Sports Champions' Gladiator duel is disconnecting but seams a better solution.

oldschoolfool said:

Let's act like IGN is the bible are something. Why don't you people wait for more reviews on this game and if everybody says the same thing,then you have a reason to be concerned. lol

You laugh out loud a lot.  I laughed my ass of, once.  Once.

But yeah.  I agree with you.  It won't be the first time IGN gave a crap review to a decent game (if the game is actually decent). 

I wasn't too interested in this - hating boxing on the Wii - but it sounds like they did make some poor control choices.  Also, it sounds like they struggled to decide whether to require you to execute a move in a certain way or just copy your movements.

I'm not convinced with the idea of a boxing game on Move (or Kinect) really.  The issue I see is that if they copy you 1:1 then you'll probably get flattened unless they allow for some really weak opponents or really ignore how boxers would actually fight, because most people are gonna flail and if the AI is remotely like a real boxer you're going to get creamed.

I also didn't like the overly 'tough guy' vibe either.  I'm just so tired of that in everythine from Gears to whatever.

I think this was an odd choice for an early title and really Sony should have put a lot more focus into getting stuff like Sorcery out sooner than this kind of thing.

I think an issue with some types of sport/game with regards to motion controls is are they going for something that takes effort or not?

If yes then the focus should be realism and you do need to put in effort to get good.  If no, then you want to go for obvious lack of realism and make it clear the title is about fun without much actual simulation of the sport in question.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Ajescent said:
geddesmond2 said:
Ajescent said:
geddesmond2 said:

Lol as someone who used to do boxing this game was my deciding factor on getting the Move controller. Looks like my decision is made. LMAO 3/10, I have never seen a game get that before Lol.

wait for more reviews.

If the game got a 6 or 7 then maybe I'd wait for more reviews but 3/10 is really bad. I don't usually go by reviews when it comes to games but if a game gets a score like that then it must be crap.

Not necessarily, There was a magazine that gave FF13 4/10...oh wait...

No I'm kidding, ff13 was bad but wasn't that bad, I maintain it's best to look at more than one review to get a better picture, even if it got 10/10, I would have said wait for more reviews, maybe this guy who reviewed it didn't have a clue what he was doing, or hates motion control or whatever (again I stress I would say the same thing if it was the other way around.)

Also, most previews have been praising the 1:1 ness of the game and imersion, so what the hell happened? I'm waiting for others like GT to see what they have to say.

Videogamer gave it 5/10. It also says the controls lack of responsiveness.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/motion_fighter/review.html

Maybe he didn't know what he was doing either. Or the control is actually shit.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Apparently there is nothing wrong with the control response or the interpretation of motions. There's a more in-depth and informative review here.

It seems that unlike the likes of Red Steel 2 and Tiger Woods the game doesn't hold your hand and isn't forgiving. When throwing punches you need to make sure that you're standing the right distance away from your opponent otherwise if you're standing too close it may appear that your punches are not responding to your actions. From the iWaggle review I get the impression that this takes a great deal of skill to play well and has a steep learning curve...which makes a change from just about every game released these days being too easy. On the strength of the IWaggle review I'm going to buy this game.

It'll get similar reviews to the likes of the Video Gamer and IGN one unfortunately, but not because the game or the controls are crap, but because it's a true fight simulator and for most reviewers (who will have completely missed the observations made by some guy that isn't actually paid to do reviews) the game will be too difficult. I'm relishing playing a game that requires a great deal of time and effort to master for once. A definite purchase from me, check out the iWaggle review before you make your decision.