By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 can still finish in first place.

PS3beats360 said:

PS3 can still finish in first place. The console wars are live and kicking. Wii peaked in 2008 with 25 million console sales. PS3 sales are rising and rising every year. PS3 will pass the 360 in 2011. PS3 moves to second place and starts chasing down the "invincible" sales leader. 

PS3 started slower but was at a much higher price than the Wii. Almost 4 years after the launches the Wii is on 75 million and the PS3 just over 40 million sales.

Wii sales started fast and well peaked in second year 2008 with 25 million sales. The sales of the Wii are expected to trend downwards over time. 2009 (20 million sales) was a 20% decline on 2008 sales. 2010 sales should be another 15% to 20% decline on 2009 sales: 16 to 17 million Wii console sales for 2010. 

PS3 may even claw back the  sales gap on the Wii as its big games and price cuts help  boost PS3 sales. PS3 in the next 5 or 6  years may well outsell the Wii by 30 to 40 million console units. Time will reveal all. 

PS3 can possibly make the biggest come back in console wars history. 2016 may well see the PS3 over take the Wii in total console sales. The chances are very slim but the PS3 has a chance of re-writing history. 

yes i believe its still possible it can finish 1st overall might not do it while the wii is still on the market though, i mean not many thought it would pass the 360 and as you and i believe it shall do it next year

we shall know if this will happen most likely next year or 2012 once ps3 goes to $200 if sales dont pick up dramatically then i doubt it can beat the Wii WW ever

Play Me

Around the Network
Christian973 said:
fwap said:

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Carl2291 said:
Jumpin said:

PS3 will finish in last place; fact.

Not true. Because I'm going to win the Euro Million and buy about 10 Million PS3's, pushing it past the 360! :D

Fact!!

I'm seriously imagining that happening and the meltdown that would cause.

OT: 30 million is a BIG hill to overcome. Good luck.....

Darc Requiem said:
Mr Khan said:
Netyaroze said:

Its a bold claim. And unlikely. But to all who dismiss it so fast. Its entirely possible.

I count with a Wii successor in 2012. And I can see Wii selling "just" about 100 Million Units.

Also it could be that if Kinect fails to be what MS expects then we can see a 360 successor sooner. And the PS3 could take the PS2 position and sell for 99-129 Dollar for years. And in the end it could even outsell Wii. But ofcourse everything has to be perfect for the PS3 from now on.

I expect WIIs marketshare to drop to 45% this year. I have trouble imagening Wii outselling 360 and PS3 combined over the holidays. And 2012 it could stop almost entirely when the successor is on the market.

Less likely is that the 360 wont eat massively into PS3 sales over the years. 

Actually I can imagine Wii ultimatly finishing 3rd after 3-4 years additional time for PS3 and 360. 

But they won't get that time. Much like jarrod believes, i too imagine that a new console from Nintendo will force Sony and Microsoft to jump. This "long generation" is just smoke and mirrors, and ignores market realities, as well has hard lessons learned by both Sony and Microsoft that if you let the competition have their way with the market, you enter into an incredibly adverse environment. Like the Xbox, which despite being closer to PS2 in terms of features and 3rd party support, was only one tiny push away from the neglected and featureless GameCube, and that was strictly because of PS2 momentum afforded from an extra year on the market, or how it took the PS3 two whole years after launch to finally achieve third party parity, because Microsoft got developers on board so quick.

I imagine they're both scared of a new Nintendo console, because if Nintendo could actually get third party support for whatever crazy scheme they come up with next round, it'll be all the more difficult for Microsoft and Sony to play catch-up

Finally somoeone that has actually thought this through.

I don't agree with the OP that the sales will pass the Wii, but I do think that PS3 can do.  I'll go ahead and quote an earlier post of mine in another thread...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3723777

FinalEvangelion said:

PS2 - No.  That's 90% not going to happen.

The PS1, however, is possible.  The way the sales are steadily increasing means the sales will steadily decrease down the adoption curve by general marketing adoption curve theory.  Actually, the Wii is showing this to be pretty true - very fast acceleration and now it looks like it's deceleration is really fast as well.  We'll need a few more quarters to be sure on the Wii, though. 

http://www.quickmba.com/marketing/product/diffusion/

You can read about it here.  I'm thinking the PS3 is around half way through the curve.

So think we will see the highest sales of PS3 at $250 or $200.  The PS3 is looking sure to meet it's market projections  of 15 million this year.  At it's peak, I can see a 18m year, and then the sales levels will start to slowly decline.  The PS3 has the most current tech from all the consoles that correlates really well with HDTV / Blu-ray adoption.  That's another reason we're seeing such good sales on PS3 lately.

If you think the PS3 is going to beat the PS2 or Wii, you are probably out to lunch.  However, the same goes for the folks who think the PS3 is going to just suddenly fall off the cliff.  It's probably the same people who thought we were crazy that the PS3 could sell close to 50m the first 4 years on the market.

So saleswise (don't bring financials into the argument since this is about sales), I the PS3 won't be a complete failure (2nd place is almost a given at this point unless Kinect really changes the situation).  It won't be making any records either. 

The good news is that the market has expanded alot this generation and I don't think you can go terribly wrong with any of the consoles.  I could actually see all 3 consoles do more than 100m.  Unfortunately for some here, healthy competition is bad news.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Yes your right, if the Wii manages to sell -20 million consoles, Kinect flops and Microsoft withdraws the Xbox 360 as a result.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Netyaroze said:

Its a bold claim. And unlikely. But to all who dismiss it so fast. Its entirely possible.

I count with a Wii successor in 2012. And I can see Wii selling "just" about 100 Million Units.

Also it could be that if Kinect fails to be what MS expects then we can see a 360 successor sooner. And the PS3 could take the PS2 position and sell for 99-129 Dollar for years. And in the end it could even outsell Wii. But ofcourse everything has to be perfect for the PS3 from now on.

I expect WIIs marketshare to drop to 45% this year. I have trouble imagening Wii outselling 360 and PS3 combined over the holidays. And 2012 it could stop almost entirely when the successor is on the market.

Actually I can imagine Wii ultimatly finishing 3rd after 3-4 years additional time for PS3 and 360. 

But they won't get that time. Much like jarrod believes, i too imagine that a new console from Nintendo will force Sony and Microsoft to jump. This "long generation" is just smoke and mirrors, and ignores market realities, as well has hard lessons learned by both Sony and Microsoft that if you let the competition have their way with the market, you enter into an incredibly adverse environment. Like the Xbox, which despite being closer to PS2 in terms of features and 3rd party support, was only one tiny push away from the neglected and featureless GameCube, and that was strictly because of PS2 momentum afforded from an extra year on the market, or how it took the PS3 two whole years after launch to finally achieve third party parity, because Microsoft got developers on board so quick.

I imagine they're both scared of a new Nintendo console, because if Nintendo could actually get third party support for whatever crazy scheme they come up with next round, it'll be all the more difficult for Microsoft and Sony to play catch-up

Underlined; actually, I think the massive success of the PS1 was the biggest factor for the PS2's massive sales, they already pretty much owned all 3rd party support and came off of a tremendous success and they were competing against a company which had treated 3rd parties poorly all along and had sold less than half as many home consoles at best (standalone, not all combined) and another that made OS' with extensions and a tad software (games) for a living that had never made a console before and relied simply on having a bigger processor and mainly support from PC game developers to conquer the market.

Also, I remember fondly the days when every time someone would say "ten year plan" or suggest that HD consoles were more future proof a lot of the most respected members would say that the Wii would live the longest for sure and force Sony and MS' hand in starting the next gen. Now, the consensus in here is that Nintendo will almost certainly launch first next gen. By all means, I agree with most of your post and the whole premise of this thread is beyond ridiculous (sorry OP) but it just fascinates me how quickly things change and how quick we are to forget.

This has truly been a topsy-turvy generation so far.

I can see it happening, the wii is burning out due to no support from major 3rd party releases and the 360 is pretty much about to get eaten up by the PS3 world wide,sadly. But facts are facts,The PS3 is in a good position to catch the wii however long this gen lasts.

BrightFalls360 said:

I can see it happening, the wii is burning out due to no support from major 3rd party releases and the 360 is pretty much about to get eaten up by the PS3 world wide,sadly. But facts are facts,The PS3 is in a good position to catch the wii however long this gen lasts.

Oh my god....!!!

Are you guys trying to make us have aneurysms?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
BrightFalls360 said:

Oh my god....!!!

Are you guys trying to make us have aneurysms?

What's that? Is it anything near this?

Above: still the best game of the year.

Mummelmann said:
Mr Khan said:
Netyaroze said:

Underlined; actually, I think the massive success of the PS1 was the biggest factor for the PS2's massive sales, they already pretty much owned all 3rd party support and came off of a tremendous success and they were competing against a company which had treated 3rd parties poorly all along and had sold less than half as many home consoles at best (standalone, not all combined) and another that made OS' with extensions and a tad software (games) for a living that had never made a console before and relied simply on having a bigger processor and mainly support from PC game developers to conquer the market.

Also, I remember fondly the days when every time someone would say "ten year plan" or suggest that HD consoles were more future proof a lot of the most respected members would say that the Wii would live the longest for sure and force Sony and MS' hand in starting the next gen. Now, the consensus in here is that Nintendo will almost certainly launch first next gen. By all means, I agree with most of your post and the whole premise of this thread is beyond ridiculous (sorry OP) but it just fascinates me how quickly things change and how quick we are to forget.

This has truly been a topsy-turvy generation so far.

To be clear, that was never me, but i always considered a five-year generation a natural for Nintendo. Wii may very well "outlive" PS360, but only in the same way that PS360 could ever possibly conceive of "beating" Wii, long after the generation has otherwise ended and people have stopped caring

And i agree that a lot of the PS2's momentum was inertia inherited from PS1, but if Xbox (or GameCube, even) had launched in 2000, it would've created a vastly different generation, even beyond the simple "extra year to sell" thing

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.