By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 to outship the X360 by the end of the 4th quarter? Oh yeh

Q4 CY? (Q ending Dec 31st?) I strongly disagree.

I was shown this yesterday,

Xbox 360 PS3
Q3 2008 - 2.2 Q3 2008 - 2.4
Q4 2008 - 6.0 - 172.73% Q4 2008 - 4.5 - 87.50%

Q3 2009 - 2.1 Q3 2009 - 3.2
Q4 2009 - 5.2 - 147.62% Q4 2009 - 6.5 - 103.13%

The numbers and trend is clear, though I don't think that's so much overshippiing, perhaps Sony preparing earlier for christmas, given it starts earlier in Europe and that's their strongest region? Who knows, more so this year, with Move launching mid September, they had 3 weeks to ship out Move bundles.

Kinect bundles were probably ready and accounted for 2 weeks ago, so they completely missed the last Q. Microsoft would not want to fill the retail channel with 360's when they have a massive batch of Kinect bundles on the way, retailers need to make space.

So saying Sony will ship an extra 2.9 million units, based on that information, is incredibly unlikely.

If the PS3 ships a similar pattern to those previous years, 90% - 105% roughly, it should ship 6.7 - 7.1 million.

Now if the X360 ships similar to previous years, it's 7.0 - 7.6 million.

Breaking down the previous years, 2008 Xbox, had a price cut in September. No new sku though, so the shipments would have been a steady flow through Q3/4. The increased demand over Q4 meant they shipped a whopping 170% increase. 2008 was a pretty insignificant christmas for the PS3, no price cut, no sku, and no major HW movers to my knowledge? so Quater over Quater, shipments didn't grow very much, I imagin over xmas they sold a lot of what they got shipped in Q3.

Xbox 2009, xbox saw a lower but still high increase % wise, due to the elite price cut? Or maybe MS ship more during the holiday. PS3 had high shipments in Q3 anyway, the % increase was higher than previous year though, again thanks to demand.

It's hard to figure out their shipping methods, given MS ship most of their stock to the west, means it's done differently to Sony that ship all over the world moreso then MS.

Next Q's shipments will be the most telling.

Edit - of course if you mean financial Q4 (march for Sony, June for MS), again no, but at least more likely than end of Dec.

For this to happen PS3 would have to ship close to 8 million, and for Kinect to be a near failuer and 360 ship 5 million. I mean it's not impossible, but it's not likely either is it?

Around the Network
Seece said:

Xbox 360 PS3

The numbers and trend is clear, though I don't think that's so much overshippiing, perhaps Sony preparing earlier for christmas, given it starts earlier in Europe and that's their strongest region? Who knows, more so this year, with Move launching mid September, they had 3 weeks to ship out Move bundles.

Kinect bundles were probably ready and accounted for 2 weeks ago, so they completely missed the last Q. Microsoft would not want to fill the retail channel with 360's when they have a massive batch of Kinect bundles on the way, retailers need to make space.

So saying Sony will ship an extra 2.9 million units, based on that information, is incredibly unlikely.

If the PS3 ships a similar pattern to those previous years, 90% - 105% roughly, it should ship 6.7 - 7.1 million.

Breaking down the previous years, 2008 Xbox, had a price cut in September. No new sku though, so the shipments would have been a steady flow through Q3/4. The increased demand over Q4 meant they shipped a whopping 170% increase. 2008 was a pretty insignificant christmas for the PS3, no price cut, no sku, and no major HW movers to my knowledge? so Quater over Quater, shipments didn't grow very much, I imagin over xmas they sold a lot of what they got shipped in Q3.

Xbox 2009, xbox saw a lower but still high increase % wise, due to the elite price cut? Or maybe MS ship more during the holiday. PS3 had high shipments in Q3 anyway, the % increase was higher than previous year though, again thanks to demand.

It's hard to figure out their shipping methods, given MS ship most of their stock to the west, means it's done differently to Sony that ship all over the world moreso then MS.

Edit - of course if you mean financial Q4 (march for Sony, June for MS), again no, but at least more likely than end of Dec.

For this to happen PS3 would have to ship close to 8 million, and for Kinect to be a near failuer and 360 ship 5 million. I mean it's not impossible, but it's not likely either is it?

He's probably talking about the FY (most likely Sony's). And as I pointed out earlier in the thread, it basically comes down to Sony meeting or beating their FY projection of 9.1 million between now and March, and Microsoft matching the 2008-2009 period of 7.7 million. At least in terms of sell through I don't see 360 matching October 2008-March 2009 but I don't see them falling too far short of it. If shipments line up with sellthrough over the same time frame I'd say 7 million is more likely.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

postofficebuddy said:
Seece said:

Xbox 360 PS3

He's probably talking about the FY (most likely Sony's). And as I pointed out earlier in the thread, it basically comes down to Sony meeting or beating their FY projection of 9.1 million between now and March, and Microsoft matching the 2008-2009 period of 7.7 million. At least in terms of sell through I don't see 360 matching October 2008-March 2009 but I don't see them falling too far short of it. If shipments line up with sellthrough over the same time frame I'd say 7 million is more likely.

Well, actually it all depends on sales over xmas. Comparing this year to last, Sony fought hard in America, although they didn't win, it wasn't so spaced out as previous years. This year? Move hasn't been a wild success thus far, and apart from GT5, they have a year old slim and price cut. MS has a new model which Ameirca is enjoying a lot right now going by NPD, a Halo which America loves, and of course Kinect. America is the place with the highest sales over the christmas period, and Xbox will win it hands down this year. EMEAA is a wildcard this year, PS3 is on a roll, has GT5 and Move is doing well, but we can't write off Kinect in EMEAA yet like we can Move in America. Japan as always will do little damage whatever the sales, and the rest of the world I can't guess.

The 360 just had it's highest ever non holiday Q (as did the PS3) indicating they're in a good position to have their highest ever holiday season, especially given the points I made about Kinect bundles not being sent and Move bundles already in the wild, which is clearly just opinion and speculation on my part.

Seece said:

Xbox 360 PS3

Yeh I mean the end of March 2011.

But Sony thinks there going to beat there shipment of 15 million so Sony already shipped 8 million this year (I think?) and another 8 million would make it 16m, which is something Sony seems to be expecting now. But yeh Kinect would have to be a big failure.

Gilgamesh said:
Seece said:

Xbox 360 PS3

Yeh I mean the end of March 2011.

But Sony thinks there going to beat there shipment of 15 million so Sony already shipped 8 million this year (I think?) and another 8 million would make it 16m, which is something Sony seems to be expecting now. But yeh Kinect would have to be a big failure.

They've shipped 5.9 mill their fiscal year, so they have 9.1 to go.

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
Carl2291 said:

One word you should remember, and not underestimate -

Kinect.

QFT.  This thing is gonna be massive, it can really mess stuff up.  By no means will Sony do badly, but it's gonna be a crazy holidays.

Kinect bundles are going to sell like crazy. You might as well tack on 1 million units for 360/Kinect bundles right now. Microsoft have been manufacturing these bundles since August just for the holidays and I'm sure they'll have well over 2 million for the Nov 4th launch.

'gaming till I'm gone'

kinect is gonna boost xbox 360 sales so much i am expecting more than 500k sbox 360s sold next week.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

It's time for people to finally admit that xbox360 is not slaughtering PS3, and it NEVER was.  PS3 will probably overtake 360 in 2011 without leaving any chance of 360 getting it back.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Bump for epic fail :)

fallen said:

Bump for epic fail :)

lol at the buthurt guy who is buthurt there aint any good games coming to 360 this year while ps3 has an exclusive ewvery month