By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 to outship the X360 by the end of the 4th quarter? Oh yeh

CGI-Quality said:
Pirateogta said:

The only BS here is Sony's shipped numbers. Please explain this to me:

Jan-March 2010: According to Sony, PS3 shipped 2.2 million

During that time, PS3 sold 950.9k in NPD,   530k in Media Create = 1.48m North America/Japan.

April-June 2010: According to Sony, PS3 shipped 2.4 million

During that time, PS3 sold 640k in NPD,   310k in Media Create = 950k North America/Japan.

Sony shipped 200,000 more this quarter despite selling 530,000 less in North America and Japan?

Sorry bro, they can't lie about that stuff.

Obviously you haven't heard about the 5,000,000 PS3 government project to simulate and then infiltrate peoples brains...

Tease.

Around the Network

Kinect scares me lol

lmao people think sony lied? this isnt just a fanboy war game to them you know? this is real business.

Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:
Pirateogta said:

During that time, PS3 sold 950.9k in NPD,   530k in Media Create = 1.48m North America/Japan.

During that time, PS3 sold 640k in NPD,   310k in Media Create = 950k North America/Japan.

Sony shipped 200,000 more this quarter despite selling 530,000 less in North America and Japan?

Obviously you haven't heard about the 5,000,000 PS3 government project to simulate and then infiltrate peoples brains...

PS3.  Now can even perform Inceptions.

It does do everything.

EDIT:  Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the PS3, other dude is *insert console here*

NYANKS said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:
Pirateogta said:

PS3.  Now can even perform Inceptions.

It does do everything.

EDIT:  Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the PS3, other dude is *insert console here*

Sony hides things in plain sight. Theres a reason why one of the chips is called the "Reality Synthesiser".

Tease.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:
Carl2291 said:

One word you should remember, and not underestimate -

Kinect.

True, and yes I am underestimating it. But only because I don't think it's going to be that huge.

I'd have to agree on this, Gilgamesh.  Oh I think Kinect will have plenty of fan-fare for its launch and maybe even shortly after, but I think Greenberg and Tsunoda are kidding themselves if they think Kinect will have the wide-spread appeal (good luck with Japan) and the continued success that made the Wii a phenomenon.  Not without amazing software lined up anyway, which IMO they aren't even close to yet.  All I see is games like Fable 3 and MGS Rising dropping their Kinect support in all likeliness.  We'll see, though...

leatherhat said:
Pirateogta said:
Gilgamesh said:

I believe it's going to happen now that we really seen the numbers and what Move has done, the PS3 is selling number one and is looking to be the number one console for the Holidays. If GT5 releases this year which it should sales are really going to explode.

Sure the PS3 will probably not pass the X360 in actual sold numbers but shipped? I think so.

I doubt the PS3 will outsell the 360 for a single week for a long, LONG time after Kinect launches, but who knows about the ridiculous shipped numbers. They pretty much mean nothing. Every tracker (VGChartz, NPD, Media Create) showed that the PS3 sold far less in the Apr-June 2010 quarter than the previous quarter, but according to Sony it shipped more units. And anyone with any sense knows that there is no way the PS3 shipped 700,000 units more than the 360 this quarter with the release of the Slim, Halo: Reach, etc. It's almost laughable.

So we should be seeing sony in court soon then? 

OT- Probably not but its possible, I would guess two more quarters. 

Where are people getting this ridiculous notion that Sony is going to get taken to court for misrepresentation on it's financial reports?  There is an ENORMOUS amount of scope to use smoke and mirrors to guard where a number of these units actually are.  Whether they are in homes, retail stores, warehouses or literally just getting done on the production line.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
leatherhat said:
Pirateogta said:
Gilgamesh said:

I believe it's going to happen now that we really seen the numbers and what Move has done, the PS3 is selling number one and is looking to be the number one console for the Holidays. If GT5 releases this year which it should sales are really going to explode.

Sure the PS3 will probably not pass the X360 in actual sold numbers but shipped? I think so.

I doubt the PS3 will outsell the 360 for a single week for a long, LONG time after Kinect launches, but who knows about the ridiculous shipped numbers. They pretty much mean nothing. Every tracker (VGChartz, NPD, Media Create) showed that the PS3 sold far less in the Apr-June 2010 quarter than the previous quarter, but according to Sony it shipped more units. And anyone with any sense knows that there is no way the PS3 shipped 700,000 units more than the 360 this quarter with the release of the Slim, Halo: Reach, etc. It's almost laughable.

So we should be seeing sony in court soon then? 

OT- Probably not but its possible, I would guess two more quarters. 

Where are people getting this ridiculous notion that Sony is going to get taken to court for misrepresentation on it's financial reports?  There is an ENORMOUS amount of scope to use smoke and mirrors to guard where a number of these units actually are.  Whether they are in homes, retail stores, warehouses or literally just getting done on the production line.

Surely you are not implying a conspiracy? Surely someone with the responsibility and experience that you have on this site would not think like this?

Supply channels can be "stuffed" to a certain degree. The amount of discussion on this site in regards to the Shipped vs Sold should suffice but it seems everytime there is a huge adjustment made due to "official" shipped figures, the same old conspiracies and arguments arise. 

The difference between shipped and actual sold can really only ever be a certain amount, a "buffer", a "cache". Given all things equal, most would agree that the difference between shipped and sold is probably somewhere in the vicinity of 1-2million. The supply channel can only be stuffed so far. The other assumption is that shipped probably means "sold" to supplier. A person as yourself should have a great understanding of what shipped means rather than drawing to conspiracy. Someone as respected as yourself.

And of course, the point you just raised, quote, "Where are people getting this ridiculous notion that Sony is going to get taken to court for misrepresentation on it's financial reports?" could be said for the MS shipped figures. It is strange to assume Sony is the one you think is possibly capable of doing this. Why not MS? Personally I see no such conspiracy for any shipped figures from any company. It's not like any of these companies are based in Zimbabwe or Iran :).

I keep wondering how many of the 360 sales are 2nd, 3rd, and 4th purchases from the same consumer who had another system go boom. Just a thought because I had 2 360's.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
starcraft said:

Somebody is upset about these recent adjustments...