By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ready at Dawn: "The Wii Novelty is wearing off"

I honestly don't think it's "wearing off", I think people who care for the most part own one and enjoy their experience.

I don't own one and don't want to, just cause it's a childs system. Though I wish Donkey Kong would come to PS3/360, cause I am sad that I won't be able to play it. I hate "Wii exclusives". Maybe with the PS3 having the same control scheme, maybe we will steal some great Wii exclusives from them, so I feel like my childhood is a bit more fulfilled. I would pick to play DKC revamp if I could, just never on one of them terrible Wii controllers.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
famousringo said:
BMaker11 said:
famousringo said:
BMaker11 said:
Soriku said:

Back to that old collecting dust myth?

It's funny because so many different people have said the *exact* same thing. It can't be a total myth...

You really need to sharpen your critical thinking skills. I suggest you start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Throwing out Wii Sports and Resort, the Wii still has twice as many titles in the top ten sellers list for 2010 as any other platform, and more overall software sales.

What magical mind-controlling pixie dust does Nintendo have that nobody else can sell software to these people? It must be magical mind-controlling pixie dust, because it sure as hell isn't the publishers' fault that nobody wants to buy their Wii games.

What kind of cognitive dissonance does it take for these guys to say that nobody can sell software on the Wii when the largest game publisher in the world is making a killing selling software on the Wii exclusively? Nintendo, serving just two platforms, sells 50% more games than EA (number two publisher) serving five platforms.

But that's not because EA is incompetent. No, it's because whenever people see a Nintendo logo, money starts falling out of their wallets. EA can't compete with Nintendo, because Nintendo has already employed every hypnotist on the planet, and there are no more hypnotists left for EA to hire to convince people to buy their games. Poor EA is stuck selling games to people who aren't enthralled by the Wii's blue hypnosis beam.

Sorry, I was feeling pretty surly a few minutes ago. A good rant is just what I needed. Carry on.

I know about fallicious arguments...I took a course in rhetoric. This case is VERY different than that. If I were to say the sun is purple, and everyone else said it was purple, THEN it would be argumentum ad populum. This is because completely untrue, and provably so, yet it's made out to be true because a lot of people say so.

The situation with the Wii "collecting dust" is not argumentum ad populum has no one has ever stated that "because my Wii collects dust, that must mean everyone's Wii collects dust". It's merely an anecdote that many people have shared, especially because it's a personal experience, not something that affects everyone else. 

My PS2 is literally on a shelf collecting dust because that's where it's at, and I don't play it anymore. That's how it is for me. Is that a fallacy, somehow then? You may not want to believe it, but that's how it is for me, and with many other people's PS2. Same with the Wii. Therefore "collecting dust" is NOT a myth, and the statement is NOT argumentum ad populum because I and many other share this same particular sentiment.

You just got so up in arms because you believe that everyone in fact DOES play their Wii and NO Wii collects dust. THAT'S a fallicious argument, because just because everyone on here gets tired of people saying "collecting dust" to try and seem, I don't know, unbiased, that must mean everyone in the world with a Wii must play it all the time. 

I think my critical thinking skills are as sharp as a needle, thank you very much

You must be getting rusty. You were doing pretty good until you deployed the strawman.

Yeah, okay. If your position is that somewhere in the world there are Wiis that aren't being used, that's perfectly defensible. It's also completely unremarkable and applies to every other gadget on the market. My mistake for taking your comment to suggest that disuse is a major problem for the Wii, just because some people say so, and in the face of evidence that it's still selling more software than any other console on the market.

I'll spare you my PS3 anecdotes.

It can apply to any device on the market right now, but for some reason, only the Wii is brought up. It may be because only those people are vocal, maybe it's to slander the Wii and make it seem like there are no good 3rd party games, but either way, it is obviously true for a number of people otherwise they wouldn't say anything

So you went and called Soriku out for calling BS on the slandering, then when famousringo rants about how the collecting dust thing is BS it leads to you agreeing it could be said about any device so why call Soriku out in the first place?  Doesn't make sense lol

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Ready At Dawn is a completely biased studio, they work almost exclusively on Sony platforms. At the same time N-Space and other studios and developers have commented that the Wii 3rd party software market has collapsed. Sega,THQ and UbiSoft have both commented that third party software just doesn't sell well on the Wii and thats with Ubi's Just Dance series doing amazing. I believe EA also said something to that effect.

So with almost all the developers saying that the third party market is gone, can you really blame a Sony developer for saying the same thing?

Now as fans we all know their was no market because third parties failed to build one. We all know UbiSoft and Sega were like the only big supporters of the Wii out of the gate. Even Ubi and Sega didn't give the Wii quality games it deserved and no studio or publisher did for like 2 years. Now suddenly the publishers are complaining that their quality games aren't selling well. Thats what happens when you ignore a market many Wii owners bought 360's to get their 3rd party games and those that did not were so upset with 3rd party titles that they stick to the brand they know makes quality software (Nintendo).

In the end I bet GoldenEye will fail misearably and then we can add Activision to the list of publishers and developers who think the Wii market is dead. I think they may be right too, Wii gamers who are hard core and not just casual are pissed, they feel neglected and guess what they won't buy your games (3rd parties) so your right in a sense but the result will be higher Nintendo sales and in the end like Ready at Dawn said Nintendo will benefit and when they launch the next console guess who's games are going to shoot off the shelves? Nintendo's.

On the other hand this will lead third parties to neglect Nintendo's next system again until its too late then they will support and fail to make any headway before the cycle repeats itself another generation. I hope I'm wrong and third parties support (Nintendo's next system) from the get go like they are 3DS but for some reason I am doubtful!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:

Ready At Dawn is a completely biased studio, they work almost exclusively on Sony platforms. At the same time N-Space and other studios and developers have commented that the Wii 3rd party software market has collapsed. Sega,THQ and UbiSoft have both commented that third party software just doesn't sell well on the Wii and thats with Ubi's Just Dance series doing amazing. I believe EA also said something to that effect.

So with almost all the developers saying that the third party market is gone, can you really blame a Sony developer for saying the same thing?

Now as fans we all know their was no market because third parties failed to build one. We all know UbiSoft and Sega were like the only big supporters of the Wii out of the gate. Even Ubi and Sega didn't give the Wii quality games it deserved and no studio or publisher did for like 2 years. Now suddenly the publishers are complaining that their quality games aren't selling well. Thats what happens when you ignore a market many Wii owners bought 360's to get their 3rd party games and those that did not were so upset with 3rd party titles that they stick to the brand they know makes quality software (Nintendo).

In the end I bet GoldenEye will fail misearably and then we can add Activision to the list of publishers and developers who think the Wii market is dead. I think they may be right too, Wii gamers who are hard core and not just casual are pissed, they feel neglected and guess what they won't buy your games (3rd parties) so your right in a sense but the result will be higher Nintendo sales and in the end like Ready at Dawn said Nintendo will benefit and when they launch the next console guess who's games are going to shoot off the shelves? Nintendo's.

On the other hand this will lead third parties to neglect Nintendo's next system again until its too late then they will support and fail to make any headway before the cycle repeats itself another generation. I hope I'm wrong and third parties support (Nintendo's next system) from the get go like they are 3DS but for some reason I am doubtful!

Well if my theory (and hope...) of full connectivity between 3DS and Wii2 ends up being correct, they will. The only major hole in my theory is how this will work financially (if people have to buy 2 games full price to play the same game on 3DS and Wii2 that will be problematical).

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

MaxwellGT2000 said:
BMaker11 said:
famousringo said:
BMaker11 said:
famousringo said:
BMaker11 said:
Soriku said:

It's funny because so many different people have said the *exact* same thing. It can't be a total myth...

You really need to sharpen your critical thinking skills. I suggest you start here:

Throwing out Wii Sports and Resort, the Wii still has twice as many titles in the top ten sellers list for 2010 as any other platform, and more overall software sales.

What magical mind-controlling pixie dust does Nintendo have that nobody else can sell software to these people? It must be magical mind-controlling pixie dust, because it sure as hell isn't the publishers' fault that nobody wants to buy their Wii games.

What kind of cognitive dissonance does it take for these guys to say that nobody can sell software on the Wii when the largest game publisher in the world is making a killing selling software on the Wii exclusively? Nintendo, serving just two platforms, sells 50% more games than EA (number two publisher) serving five platforms.

But that's not because EA is incompetent. No, it's because whenever people see a Nintendo logo, money starts falling out of their wallets. EA can't compete with Nintendo, because Nintendo has already employed every hypnotist on the planet, and there are no more hypnotists left for EA to hire to convince people to buy their games. Poor EA is stuck selling games to people who aren't enthralled by the Wii's blue hypnosis beam.

Sorry, I was feeling pretty surly a few minutes ago. A good rant is just what I needed. Carry on.

I know about fallicious arguments...I took a course in rhetoric. This case is VERY different than that. If I were to say the sun is purple, and everyone else said it was purple, THEN it would be argumentum ad populum. This is because completely untrue, and provably so, yet it's made out to be true because a lot of people say so.

The situation with the Wii "collecting dust" is not argumentum ad populum has no one has ever stated that "because my Wii collects dust, that must mean everyone's Wii collects dust". It's merely an anecdote that many people have shared, especially because it's a personal experience, not something that affects everyone else. 

My PS2 is literally on a shelf collecting dust because that's where it's at, and I don't play it anymore. That's how it is for me. Is that a fallacy, somehow then? You may not want to believe it, but that's how it is for me, and with many other people's PS2. Same with the Wii. Therefore "collecting dust" is NOT a myth, and the statement is NOT argumentum ad populum because I and many other share this same particular sentiment.

You just got so up in arms because you believe that everyone in fact DOES play their Wii and NO Wii collects dust. THAT'S a fallicious argument, because just because everyone on here gets tired of people saying "collecting dust" to try and seem, I don't know, unbiased, that must mean everyone in the world with a Wii must play it all the time. 

I think my critical thinking skills are as sharp as a needle, thank you very much

You must be getting rusty. You were doing pretty good until you deployed the strawman.

Yeah, okay. If your position is that somewhere in the world there are Wiis that aren't being used, that's perfectly defensible. It's also completely unremarkable and applies to every other gadget on the market. My mistake for taking your comment to suggest that disuse is a major problem for the Wii, just because some people say so, and in the face of evidence that it's still selling more software than any other console on the market.

It can apply to any device on the market right now, but for some reason, only the Wii is brought up. It may be because only those people are vocal, maybe it's to slander the Wii and make it seem like there are no good 3rd party games, but either way, it is obviously true for a number of people otherwise they wouldn't say anything

So you went and called Soriku out for calling BS on the slandering, then when famousringo rants about how the collecting dust thing is BS it leads to you agreeing it could be said about any device so why call Soriku out in the first place?  Doesn't make sense lol

Because the Wii "collecting dust" for people is NOT a myth. That's what I originally said

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
BMaker11 said:
famousringo said:
BMaker11 said:
famousringo said:
BMaker11 said:
Soriku said:

Because the Wii "collecting dust" for people is NOT a myth. That's what I originally said

But its something that could be said about anything so why even start it?  Or rather if you wanted to reply to Soriku state it like "The Wii collecting dust isn't a myth cause any device can just not be used by some people think of all the Wiis, 360s, PS3, DSs, and PSPs at gamestop those are all technically collecting dust cause the people that bought them didn't use them and traded them in." but you went out to talk about the Wii which lead to the circle so the entire conversation was pointless lol

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

toMsons7551 said:

I honestly don't think it's "wearing off", I think people who care for the most part own one and enjoy their experience.

I don't own one and don't want to, just cause it's a childs system. Though I wish Donkey Kong would come to PS3/360, cause I am sad that I won't be able to play it. I hate "Wii exclusives". Maybe with the PS3 having the same control scheme, maybe we will steal some great Wii exclusives from them, so I feel like my childhood is a bit more fulfilled. I would pick to play DKC revamp if I could, just never on one of them terrible Wii controllers.

lolwtf?! Just promise me you'll never breed and pass on this stupid? :x

@tomsons  im gonna play devil's advocate here and say I agree with you to some extent, but I think DK can be played with classic controller and Im sure Move will definately take some of Wii games, Muramasa, NMHs, and DS extraction are already lost

oniyide said:

@tomsons  im gonna play devil's advocate here and say I agree with you to some extent, but I think DK can be played with classic controller and Im sure Move will definately take some of Wii games, Muramasa, NMHs, and DS extraction are already lost

DKCR is wiimote & nunchuck only afaik?  People were asking about CC/Pro, GC pad or wiimote NES style support, but nothing's confirmed yet. :/

Muramasa and NMH2 are still only on Wii as of now.  There were rumors about Muramasa XBLA/PSN ports though, and Marvelous said they'd like to do a 3DS conversion (YES PLZ!).

toMsons7551 said:

I completely agree. I also stay far away from anything that is enjoyed by children. Sure, I miss eating icecream, watching football and wearing pants, but it is essential for me to avoid these things to confirm my maturity.