By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ready at Dawn: "The Wii Novelty is wearing off"

freebs2 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
travis said:

Guess what, The HD graphics novelty have worn off too...

Hell yeah. It's shown to be eye candy, and that's it. Okay, expensive and time consuming eye candy, and that can even get in the way of content (FFXIII not having any towns).

Not to mention many 8/10hours long single player games.

Is it really the length, or lack of replayability? The classic 8-bit and 16-bit games could be beaten even faster, but you wanted to beat them again every once in a while. Here, games are 8-10 hours often due to lots of padding, which makes replaying them feel more like a chore.

And by padding, I mean things like cut scenes, more empty spaces between enemies, level designs that seem more about wowing you visually than making you want to keep the controller in your hand, all of which means less game when the dazzle wears off.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
freebs2 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
travis said:

Hell yeah. It's shown to be eye candy, and that's it. Okay, expensive and time consuming eye candy, and that can even get in the way of content (FFXIII not having any towns).

Is it really the length, or lack of replayability? The classic 8-bit and 16-bit games could be beaten even faster, but you wanted to beat them again every once in a while. Here, games are 8-10 hours often due to lots of padding, which makes replaying them feel more like a chore.

And by padding, I mean things like cut scenes, more empty spaces between enemies, level designs that seem more about wowing you visually than making you want to keep the controller in your hand, all of which means less game when the dazzle wears off.

Agreed 100%

freebs2 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
freebs2 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
travis said:

Agreed 100%

Yea sad but true. :/

4k1x3r said:
freebs2 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
freebs2 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
travis said:

Agreed 100%

Yea sad but true. :/

Resident Evil 4 is a good case study in just skirting this for me. There is a lot of combat in the game, and with all the weapons and strategies, that's a lot of replayvalue in there. Where it gets annoying is all the walking down empty paths and hallways (that I haven't cleared out), and cut scenes I can't skip. The first Krauser scene was cool at first, but now it's more like just completing a chore to get to the rest of the game.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
freebs2 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
travis said:

Red Steel 2 suffers of that. That game was so boring! Is a shame because it had lot of potential.

Around the Network

I take my Wii's blinking blue light as it looking up and shouting at me to  be powered on, but then I look down at it and whisper "No."

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

my systems collect dust whether I play them or not. I never understood the collecting dust analogy.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

LOL the gaming industry never thought the Wii was a viable console. Or any other Nintendo console for that matter.

greenmedic88 said:

I'd go a step further and say the Wii novelty factor has worn off. This is a four year console we're talking about here, Wii Fit was released over two years ago and motion controls are no longer anything magical or exclusive to the Wii.

One thing has not changed though; the best games from both a commercial and critical standpoint on the Wii remain Nintendo developed titles.

I'd argue Monster Hunter Tri and Tatsunoko vs Capcom are the second and third best games on the wii this year...and MH3 has sold 1.64million WW.  Also for whatever it is worth, MH3 surpassed Brawl as the most played online game for wii.

Well, that never happened to me.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION