By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ready at Dawn: "The Wii Novelty is wearing off"

'Tis beyond me, how every time a thread is created about third-party developer having a negative opinion of the Wii, it gets at least a hundred replies... (No offense to the creator of this thread.)

Around the Network
famousringo said:
BMaker11 said:
famousringo said:
BMaker11 said:
Soriku said:

Back to that old collecting dust myth?

It's funny because so many different people have said the *exact* same thing. It can't be a total myth...

You really need to sharpen your critical thinking skills. I suggest you start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Throwing out Wii Sports and Resort, the Wii still has twice as many titles in the top ten sellers list for 2010 as any other platform, and more overall software sales.

What magical mind-controlling pixie dust does Nintendo have that nobody else can sell software to these people? It must be magical mind-controlling pixie dust, because it sure as hell isn't the publishers' fault that nobody wants to buy their Wii games.

What kind of cognitive dissonance does it take for these guys to say that nobody can sell software on the Wii when the largest game publisher in the world is making a killing selling software on the Wii exclusively? Nintendo, serving just two platforms, sells 50% more games than EA (number two publisher) serving five platforms.

But that's not because EA is incompetent. No, it's because whenever people see a Nintendo logo, money starts falling out of their wallets. EA can't compete with Nintendo, because Nintendo has already employed every hypnotist on the planet, and there are no more hypnotists left for EA to hire to convince people to buy their games. Poor EA is stuck selling games to people who aren't enthralled by the Wii's blue hypnosis beam.

Sorry, I was feeling pretty surly a few minutes ago. A good rant is just what I needed. Carry on.

I know about fallicious arguments...I took a course in rhetoric. This case is VERY different than that. If I were to say the sun is purple, and everyone else said it was purple, THEN it would be argumentum ad populum. This is because completely untrue, and provably so, yet it's made out to be true because a lot of people say so.

The situation with the Wii "collecting dust" is not argumentum ad populum has no one has ever stated that "because my Wii collects dust, that must mean everyone's Wii collects dust". It's merely an anecdote that many people have shared, especially because it's a personal experience, not something that affects everyone else. 

My PS2 is literally on a shelf collecting dust because that's where it's at, and I don't play it anymore. That's how it is for me. Is that a fallacy, somehow then? You may not want to believe it, but that's how it is for me, and with many other people's PS2. Same with the Wii. Therefore "collecting dust" is NOT a myth, and the statement is NOT argumentum ad populum because I and many other share this same particular sentiment.

You just got so up in arms because you believe that everyone in fact DOES play their Wii and NO Wii collects dust. THAT'S a fallicious argument, because just because everyone on here gets tired of people saying "collecting dust" to try and seem, I don't know, unbiased, that must mean everyone in the world with a Wii must play it all the time. 

I think my critical thinking skills are as sharp as a needle, thank you very much

You must be getting rusty. You were doing pretty good until you deployed the strawman.

Yeah, okay. If your position is that somewhere in the world there are Wiis that aren't being used, that's perfectly defensible. It's also completely unremarkable and applies to every other gadget on the market. My mistake for taking your comment to suggest that disuse is a major problem for the Wii, just because some people say so, and in the face of evidence that it's still selling more software than any other console on the market.

I'll spare you my PS3 anecdotes.

It can apply to any device on the market right now, but for some reason, only the Wii is brought up. It may be because only those people are vocal, maybe it's to slander the Wii and make it seem like there are no good 3rd party games, but either way, it is obviously true for a number of people otherwise they wouldn't say anything

The only thing collecting dust is the idea that the wii is a novelty.

ninty3 said:

I dunno, the idea seems to be played with quite a lot for it to be collecting dust.  :p

NYANKS said:
ninty3 said:

I dunno, the idea seems to be played with quite a lot for it to be collecting dust.  :p

Still, old notions are old.  This line's been repeated by pundits and detractors since early 2007, and yet the massmarket still generally doesn't seem to care.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
NYANKS said:
ninty3 said:

Still, old notions are old.  This line's been repeated by pundits and detractors since early 2007, and yet the massmarket still generally doesn't seem to care.

They may not care, but this doesn't reduce the validity of it in any way.  Either way, let's not go down this path, it's already been beaten to a pulp haha. 

NYANKS said:
jarrod said:
NYANKS said:
ninty3 said:

They may not care, but this doesn't reduce the validity of it in any way.  Either way, let's not go down this path, it's already been beaten to a pulp haha. 

Actually, it would reduce the validity of it... consumers by large are still buying systems and games, despite all this dust Sony contracted developers might insist is accumulating. ;)

But agreed, let's talk about something else rather than this tired claim. <3

jarrod said:
NYANKS said:
jarrod said:
NYANKS said:
ninty3 said:

Actually, it would reduce the validity of it... consumers by large are still buying systems and games, despite all this dust Sony contracted developers might insist is accumulating. ;)

But agreed, let's talk about something else rather than this tired claim. <3

Let's talk about Pancakes! Thick and buttery with lots of syrup!

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

LordTheNightKnight said:
travis said:

Guess what, The HD graphics novelty have worn off too...

Hell yeah. It's shown to be eye candy, and that's it. Okay, expensive and time consuming eye candy, and that can even get in the way of content (FFXIII not having any towns).

Not to mention many 8/10hours long single player games.

LordTheNightKnight said:
travis said:

Guess what, The HD graphics novelty have worn off too...

Hell yeah. It's shown to be eye candy, and that's it. Okay, expensive and time consuming eye candy, and that can even get in the way of content (FFXIII not having any towns).

Not to mentios all those 8/10 hours long singleplayer games.

!!!Ops, browser error!!!