By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Software Sales Definitely Appear to Have Peaked for Current Machines

SONY will break records, take a look at its 2011 line up from SCE. Its there biggest for the PS3 by far and will push at least 3-5 million each next year so you are looking at a good 30-50 million in software sales from SCE.

So peaking well not for sony

MS will have an dark year 

But Nintendo has 3DS now and will slow down Wii support so dont expect nintendo to bounce back soon. 

Activison has lost Guitar hero and tony hawk are dead and COD will die soon, they need to get some new franchise's

Take Two will have GTA5 and that will sell HUGE bigger than GT4 just like GTA San Andreas, the GTA to define the console for Rockstar hopefully  

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network
mchaza said:

SONY will break records, take a look at its 2011 line up from SCE. Its there biggest for the PS3 by far and will push at least 3-5 million each next year so you are looking at a good 30-50 million in software sales from SCE.

So peaking well not for sony

MS will have an dark year 

But Nintendo has 3DS now and will slow down Wii support so dont expect nintendo to bounce back soon. 

Activison has lost Guitar hero and tony hawk are dead and COD will die soon, they need to get some new franchise's

Take Two will have GTA5 and that will sell HUGE bigger than GT4 just like GTA San Andreas, the GTA to define the console for Rockstar hopefully  

I concur. I will be replaying Fallout: New Vegas and Fable 3 for my 360 well into 2011. Microsoft needs to step it up or end it quickly with a new console kicking off the next gen.

Guys, I have the full data. I really think PS3 software is peaking now - only two to three publishers are set to have record years on PS3 in 2010. Everyone else had better years in 2008 / 2009 as was the case for the other systems.

PS3 / Wii / DS / PSP (and presumably X360 - but Microsoft doesnt give the needed figures) are all seeing users purchase fewer and fewer games per year on average - and so we're now reaching the point where that deterioration is faster than hw increases. Wii reached that point in the year to March 2009, and PS3 is reaching it now, in the year to March 2011 it looks like. DS / PSP both reached it in the year to March 2009 too - which is why every publisher had record years in 2008-2009 on these systems save for a couple who may do it this year.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Overall software sales for the Wii look to have peaked earlier than the Xbox 360 and PS3. http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly.php 

I suspect that this year might be the peak for one or both of the HD consoles, however theres also a chance the Move and Kinect accessories might peak interest just enough to keep the software sales flat or slightly raised YOY even as overall traditional software may start showing declines, like for instance the regular sports series.

Tease.

There is no question Wii peaked earlier, but that doesn't mean PS3 / X360 aren't peaking now. It really looks like there will be no more than three third parties on X360 / Wii / PS3 to see record sales on those individual systems in 2010. Kinect / Move bases won't be big enough to revive that this year and so the publishers are in the typical downward spiral until the next round of systems comes.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:

I blame Farmville!

I blame economy!

Above: still the best game of the year.

TheSource said:

If you run through VGC data for 2004-2009, and throw in 2010 YTD SW figures for the five current platforms (Wii, PS3, X360, DS, PSP) you see that just about every publisher is going to struggle to match their peak figures on the current round of systems. This is even with some companies still set to post record figures on individual systems (Ubisoft on Wii, Square-Enix on all three consoles, Sega on PS3 is already a record, Konami is a possibility on Wii, Capcom will likely see record figures on PSP...not much else). Figures below are worldwide and millions of units for each publisher across the five current systems.

Pink figures indicate publishers that might see record sales on the current five machines in 2010. Even with the holiday rush yet to come its hard to imagine companies like Activision and EA making up the difference from last year to 2010. Activision still has Call of Duty - which could sell something like 15 million copies - and DJ Hero 2 - which might sell 3m copies in 2010, its catalogue, and other stuff...but that still gets them no where near the 60m games they sold last year. Something like 40 million units is more likely. EA is similar - Rockband 3, Medal of Honor, and others will do several million units each...but it isn't enough. For Nintendo, if you figure 8m Wiis between now and the end of the year, catalogue sales, Wii Party, DKC, Kirby, etc its still hard to see Nintendo getting past 110m units of sw for the year.

First party efforts for Move / Kinect will likely get Sony / Microsoft to record sales on the current machines, but it looks like just about every third party will be down alot this year. With 3DS set to harm DS and PSP next year, and Wii / PS3 / X360 all likely to be off their 2010 paces, its hard to imagine next year being any better for the majority of publishers on the current machines, and so the next round of systems shouldn't be too far off.

How does this square with this recent interview with EA CEO?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30444/EA_CEO_Optimistic_About_Industry_Company_Growth.php

“I think there’s more of a cloud over the industry for the lack of certainty than what those of us in the industry feel is real,” he said. “I really do see opportunity... we really do see 20% growth in the first half on high definition game consoles, where we concentrate our business. We really do see burgeoning digital growth ... It doesn’t feel like a recession to me.”

I think you underestimate Capcom. Monster Hunter alone could do 4 million and that leaves Dead Rising 2 and whatever else to make up the remaining 1.5 million.

The market definately needs new consoles . It has reached saturation point, with too many new games being released and a huge market of discounted or pre-owned cheap older titles for new users to sink their teeth in . Apart from the 4-5 huge franchises every other new game has a problem selling well ,IMO.

The 360 is entering its 6th year and the wii/ps3 their 5th , the normal thing would be to have at least a new console next year but i doubt that this will happen.

I dont think you'll see new consoles until 2012-13.

Also interesing PS3 is peaking already, since it's supposed to last ten years and all.