By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Software Sales Definitely Appear to Have Peaked for Current Machines

TheSource said:

Guys, I have the full data. I really think PS3 software is peaking now - only two to three publishers are set to have record years on PS3 in 2010. Everyone else had better years in 2008 / 2009 as was the case for the other systems.

PS3 / Wii / DS / PSP (and presumably X360 - but Microsoft doesnt give the needed figures) are all seeing users purchase fewer and fewer games per year on average - and so we're now reaching the point where that deterioration is faster than hw increases. Wii reached that point in the year to March 2009, and PS3 is reaching it now, in the year to March 2011 it looks like. DS / PSP both reached it in the year to March 2009 too - which is why every publisher had record years in 2008-2009 on these systems save for a couple who may do it this year.

Always interesting to me that normal users buy fewer and fewer games the longer they own a console. As a hardcore user I buy the same amount of games in year 5 of a system as in year 1. But I guess I'm the minority. Then again TBH I dont buy a huge amount of games to start. Maybe 3-5 per year full priced. I bet the console makers wish all users were like me, then their sales would only increase with userbase.

Around the Network
johnglen said:

The market definately needs new consoles . It has reached saturation point, with too many new games being released and a huge market of discounted or pre-owned cheap older titles for new users to sink their teeth in . Apart from the 4-5 huge franchises every other new game has a problem selling well ,IMO.

The 360 is entering its 6th year and the wii/ps3 their 5th , the normal thing would be to have at least a new console next year but i doubt that this will happen.

Used games is a reason for this 

why buy new when you can buy an array of cheaper games 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Hmm this seems to be mostly a matter of Wii colapse.

The biggest drops for 2010 compared to record year are Activision, Ubisoft, Sega which means companies that have great sales in Wii market and THQ which honestly didn't release any big hits in 2010.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

pancho said:

This is a natural decline associated with the 5-6 years console cycle, despite new customers entering , perhaps for the first time, the market.

We are in the part of the cycle where every game has a 2,3,4,5 attached to it and customers have probably become a bit fed up. lost passion, about the current round of consoles. Furthermore this must be exacerbated by super cheap gaming on smartphones coupled with tight finances for most households in the developing world.

Sony seems to be in a better position to wheather this decline as they have the widest distribution network and brand appeal to penetrate countries hungry for western goods such as Russia, India, Brazil, China and Eastern Europe.

The 3DS will re-energize the market altghough personally Im not so hyped about it as all I have seen on it is sequels and zero new IP.

to be fair most of the launch title probably haven't been in development long and ports were easier to get ready for the 3DS, and more original IPs will be announced at E3 2011. But already we have a few new IPs in the form of My garden (will be crap), steel diver and Time travellers (looks interesting)  which I am sure will be the first of many, so while there are few it's not none.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

From the the data I collected in the other SQ analysis threads I have this:
YTD Sales until end of August for the consoles: (as of data collected 2 weeks ago)

8 Wii X360 PS3 DS PSP
2007 27,799,382 19,329,919 8,668,493 54,207,209 12,353,235
2008 80,193,681 48,378,953 38,638,270 73,967,807 20,740,805
2009 75,782,998 47,951,383 37,991,063 71,410,694 16,930,716
2010 78,010,082 57,145,369 60,765,173 55,144,566 19,001,296

Seems wii is stable in total sales although I can see what you are talking about regarding SW/HW sales

PS3 has boomed and PSP seems out of its slouch last year.

But once again this is total sales not relative to HW which is what I believe you are talking about source?

Around the Network

Nice, ms 4.6 mill off their peak year. Fable and Halo will do that alone, Kinect software will just be a bonus, will pass 20 mill.

Current - 12.09
(Fable 3 3 mill) 15.09
(Reach 2 mill) 17.09
(Kinect Adventures 2.5 mill) 19.59
(Other Kinect SW?? 2 mill?) 21.59
(Forza re-release 0.5 mill) 22.09
(Current SW, Alan Wake, Forza, ODST, Gears ect 1-2 mill) 24.09

lol, I love the people who stick their fingers in their ears :P

@The Source
Based on these figures. Can the 3 console makers hold out a total of 10 years between console releases. It seems clear that the consumer behavior isn't going to wait. It really does seem that the console cycle is set by the consumer and not the manufacturer. In this light, what do you think the 3 companies are going to do.

I noticed Nintendo peaked first. Hit a small decline then just dropped. Which is part of the course after peaking. Do you feel that the next Wiiteration will be coming out sooner or later? What does this mean now that Wii peaked before the other consoles? Is it smart to wait a few more years because their YTD Sofware sales are still significantly higher than MS/Sony? or is it important to start the console shift sooner than later.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

When you take PSP, DS and Wii out of the equation what does the picture look like? I'd guess more publishers have a better chance of hitting their previous numbers on the HD consoles. 

The ps3 is not peaking period...

THE SOURCE do you continue to ignore the fact the ps3 is STILL not at mass market price? Publishers don't need to start setting records so that a console's software sales peak. In fact the ps3's software sales is at the highest it's ever been, and the console still hasn't "peaked" hardware wise, and will not have its peak year until it drops to $199...

you could say the 360 and wii have peaked, because the 360 has been on the market since 2005, the wii has been at mass market price point since it launched, and the 360 has released a redesign and been at mass market price for two years, but kinect may give the console some life like microsoft said it's depending on so that the 360 lasts another couple of years...

You could say the industry as a whole may have peaked, due to PSP/DS declines, and 360/WII nearing their peaks, or have already peaked, but the ps3 has not peaked, and it's interest is growing greatly thanks to the fact the ps3 is one of the cheapest 3D blu ray players, and 3d tv interests are increasing in the television market. The move has also sold well above your estimations, and the ps3 has sold well above your previous estimations... and I wouldn't be suprised if there's a 1 million gap between shipment figures and actual consumer sales between your estimations and sony, as you have continually underestimated the ps3, and still do today.

everyone sees it, everyone knows it, and we all know, ALL OF US who have been here for 5 plus years, that a console's peak comes after it reaches mass market price point.

mM

I still strongly disagree with this theory as I did when the news commentary was written. Next year PS3 should be able to top 100M in software sales, with the line-up Sony is putting forth, and the PS3 base price dropping, there is 0 chance that next year will not top this year on PS3. 

On Microsofts side I expect any loss in core game sales being offset by the wave of Kinect users and titles. If the Halo HD rumors come true, 360 could easily pick up 10M sales late next year on GeoW3 and this title. 

The problem with new consoles any time soon is the lack of new possibilities they would bring to the table. The current top end PC hardware is not enough of a leap from were current consoles are to dazzle people with mind blowing graphics. 3D is to young to take advantage of as a selling point, and this will play a very important role next gen. Motion controls and other advanced control techniques are not quite ready to make the jump, prices need to be brought down. 

Before new consoles can be viable there has to be a quantum leap in performance. That is not the case at the moment. If next year the PS4 was to arrive at $499.99 with motion controls, classic controls, full 1080p 60fps 3d, and multitasking it would be crushed by the current gen consoles. People don't have displays to take advantage of the tech yet, and the PS3 and 360 already do all that stuff good enough, and at $199 by then.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL