By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii should have had a flood of PS2 ports, but of the great ones.

With Goldeneye coming out, I'm reminded at parts of games like Black and Timesplitters. Then I think how awesome those would play om the Wii. Then I realize developers refuse to even consider putting that on the Wii, as though it would somehow taint a game by running on a system still more powerful than the source system anyway.

This brings us to the thread topic. For quite a while, I saw whining about the Wii getting flooded with PS2 ports, and all I saw was this supposed flood kind of lacking in the big PS2 games.

Where are the Metal Gear ports (part of the annoyance of the support for the 3DS is that there is no reason the Wii couldn't also do MGS3 other than developer stubbornness)? Where are the Final Fantasy ports? Where are the GTA ports?

Now keep in mind that a multiplatform game is not a port. So any game released for them at the same time does not count here. I mean it had to have been made for the PS2, and then put on the Wii.

With that in mind, what was the biggest hit PS2 game ported to the Wii? Seriously, I don't know. I know Okami is one of the best games, but that wasn't a hit. We might count RE4, since that includes the PS2 version content.

But in that case, a hit game on the PS2 and GC was also a hit on the Wii, and third developers somehow didn't see that as a reason to put more ACTUAL hit games from the PS2, or even the Xbox, on the Wii.

That doesn't even have the spec excuse of the HD systems. Heck, even the PSP games don't have the spec excuse. And the controller isn't one, since the Wii obvously has other control options (which RE4 Wii Edition also took advantage of).

So my conclusion is that the Wii did not get a flood of last gen ports, since a genuine flood would require some of the major third party games from last gen, not just a couple of those.

NOTE: You could say this topic is a little late, but considering third parties had all the time they needed to get a huge Wii library in little time, and still didn't take it, I'm a little entitled to call in them for not taking advantage of such a no-brainer notion.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

A lot were initially from Godfather to Prince of Persia Rival Swords to Bully.   Sales for PS2 ports were never impressive and Wii owners all screamed for original titles.  Then original titles of quality, then failed to support the few that came out (prefering to buy their HD counterparts instead).

While I'd love to see TimeSplitters or such ported (Pyschonauts!), really the only one that really warrants it, which didn't get it, is GTA

It really is a huge missed opportunity for a lot of studios. I'm still waiting on my Persona 3 port. I'll keep the faith till the 3DS comes out in America.

Considering the little effort it would take, it is indeed surprising.  The Wii shouldn't have to rely on old games though.  The Wii just received the shittiest support for a first place console I've ever seen.  Don't use Okami in a list of great Wii games, use games that were actually made to be Wii games.  The Nintendo games alone make it a pretty good list.

This camp kills me:

NSMBW comes with no online, and its has most of net asking why? Wii fans say " we dont care about online"

Now NBA Jam is here with no online.. and waaaaaaaaaaaaabulnece happens

back in the day Ports were another source of wabulence for the camp

now somebody is actually asking for ports!?

this backtalking list can go on forever almost..but its not needed

it seems that the camp doesnt know it wants..or is changing its expectations based on whos name is on the box.

I think the answer is the PS2 ports didnt come because the camp claimed they didnt want em

Around the Network
Xxain said:

This camp kills me:

NSMBW comes with no online, and its has most of net asking why? Wii fans say " we dont care about online"

Now NBA Jam is here with no online.. and waaaaaaaaaaaaabulnece happens

back in the day Ports were another source of wabulence for the camp

now somebody is actually asking for ports!?

this backtalking list can go on forever almost..but its not needed

it seems that the camp doesnt know it wants..or is changing its expectations based on whos name is on the box.

I think the answer is the PS2 ports didnt come because the camp claimed they didnt want em

They wouldn't NEED them if third parties hadn't decimated the Wii.  This is a secondary issue stemming from the obvious problem.

This could really help to fill the third party hole.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:

I hope you dont think thats true... filling the gaping hole third parties left on the Wii with a bunch of PS2 ports??? why even have Wii then if most of games are gonna be ports? from 1 systm that nearly everybody has.

The only ports I expected was the GTA PS2 Trilogy.... but Take-Two sucks.

I would've played a retouched GTA3 on my Wii more than Rune Factory Frontier (70 hrs ). Huge opportunity missed for a guaranteed million.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Xxain said:
Beuli2 said:

I hope you dont think thats true... filling the gaping hole third parties left on the Wii with a bunch of PS2 ports??? why even have Wii then if most of games are gonna be ports? from 1 systm that nearly everybody has.

I knew I should have explained better..

I mean only part of it. I know it wouldn't be near enough to fill it, but it still would help. Happy?

Above: still the best game of the year.