By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii should have had a flood of PS2 ports, but of the great ones.

Xxain said:
A_C_E said:

That actually would have been nice. I know there's a couple of big franchises that could have benefited greatly from the Wii's controls early on just as much as RE4. You look at the success of GoW 1 & 2 on PS3 right before the launch of GoW3 and sales were good. Dev's are now following through on the momentum and I can only see good things coming out of it. It not only helps the revenue of said games but also the future titles on the current system.

The dev's and consumers would have won in the end and there would be so much potential for the Wii to have the PS2's Greatest Hits collections sell well.

I think each developer or publisher should begin to incorporate some sort of sub-developer to re-develop games from the previous gen into the current gen. Imagine every single hit game that ever sold over say...half a million units WW got released for the Wii/PS3/360 with gameplay/framerate/graphics all upgraded. Who could honestly complain?

I would takes a waste of resources, instead of taking X game that was cool last gen porting it to current gen...why not just make sequel made using the new console potential?

There needs to be reason to port something....not just something done for the hell of it.

That assumes that resources are more finite than they are, that the profit margins are a lot lower than even I think ports have, and that there is no practical reason, when ports have been shown to be profitable more often than not (they really have to blow to not be profitable).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
A_C_E said:
Azreal said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

"Resident Evil 4 sold 1.79. It was a port of a gamecube/ps2 game with worse controls"

If you mean the Wii version had worse controls, I will have to virtually smack you.

I stand by my theory. Other then games with wii at the start  and metroid prime I never really liked the wiimote.

I have a theory that your an idiot.

Just joking but if I honestly thought that then it wouldn't make it so. You thinking it has worse controls doesn't make it so. In most people's opinions the controls were massively enhanced only because of the Wiimote.

(RE4 is the greatest game the Wii will ever have btw!)

Well, regardless of controls, a last gen game  sold a but-load on the wii. And by the way it will only be the greatest game on wii till Epic Mickey comes out.

This is my sig.

Why? It's not as if the bulk of Wii owners were previously PS2 owners ... if anything PS3 should get them. Then they can be ported to 360, higher userbase = best sales, well I think higher userbase is your excuse anyway .. can't think of anything else.

Seece said:

Why? It's not as if the bulk of Wii owners were previously PS2 owners ... if anything PS3 should get them. Then they can be ported to 360, higher userbase = best sales, well I think higher userbase is your excuse anyway .. can't think of anything else.

Your argument is that it's better to sell it to people that already bought the games instead of people who likely would experience them new and would therefore not feel they are paying for the same game twice. And you're making a strawman by claiming userbase is my only reason.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

@LordtheKnight  I think what seece is trying to say is that if Wii owners really wanted these games they would have already played them awhile ago since the PS2 is on cheap now. IMHO its a terrible idea to port PS2 games, especially in this late stage, I mean Alot of gamers have PS2 still and the games are dirt cheap and 3rd parties would likely do a bare minimum port job anyway, wouldnt this fly in the face of what Wii owners want???? to play games they most likely already played with a tack on control scheme

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Seece said:

Your argument is that it's better to sell it to people that already bought the games instead of people who likely would experience them new and would therefore not feel they are paying for the same game twice. And you're making a strawman by claiming userbase is my only reason.

Well other than similarity in graphics there is no other common ground. Most original 3rd party core titles don't do well on Wii, why would they bother with ports? Most collections on PS3 seem to be doing well, with more and more being announced, so it does seem best to launch on PS3, not only appealing to those newer customers that are more likely to actually buy it, but those looking for nostalgia.

oniyide said:

@LordtheKnight  I think what seece is trying to say is that if Wii owners really wanted these games they would have already played them awhile ago since the PS2 is on cheap now. IMHO its a terrible idea to port PS2 games, especially in this late stage, I mean Alot of gamers have PS2 still and the games are dirt cheap and 3rd parties would likely do a bare minimum port job anyway, wouldnt this fly in the face of what Wii owners want???? to play games they most likely already played with a tack on control scheme

That is not a legit argument, as it's just "buy this system other than the Wii, since it will prove those systems are better" crap, just with a different system, and in a past tense form. Not to mention if that was true, they wouldn't have bought RE4, as guess what, they would have already played it on the PS2.

Azreal said:

And, just for fun
Okami 0.30 possibly undertracked
Okami for ps2 0.15

Why do people always bring up that PS2 number as if it was accurate?  Besides the fact that the US and Europe numbers are missing, Okami has done nearly 300k in just Japan by now.  281k at the end of 2009, with 37,290 just that year.

Yakuzaice said:
Azreal said:

And, just for fun
Okami for ps2 0.15

Why do people always bring up that PS2 number as if it was accurate?  Besides the fact that the US and Europe numbers are missing, Okami has done nearly 300k in just Japan by now.  281k at the end of 2009, with 37,290 just that year.

Still, the point is that the sales of both are comparable, which would not be the case if the Wii audience truly did not like such games.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Yakuzaice said:
Azreal said:

And, just for fun
Okami for ps2 0.15

Still, the point is that the sales of both are comparable, which would not be the case if the Wii audience truly did not like such games.

We have no idea what the PS2 sales are other than the fact that it did 87k in the first month NPD.  The only numbers we can accurately compare are the Japanese numbers.