By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - No More Heroes, No More Customers, No More Sales.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Really? That's interesting... I've always wondered why the number of Wii Sports sold, did not match the number of Wii consoles sold. Why would you want to buy Wii Sports, or Wii Play? They are more like demos, than full games.

Are you kidding?  Wii sports is one of the best games in history for me.  Wii play is more understandable because its bundled with a wiimote but Wii sports is a game that everyone should play or own.  

I've put much more of my gaming time into wii sports than pretty much any other game I've ever played with maybe one or two exceptions.  Just because a game doesn't have 500 different options for controlling options does not mean they're demos.  Its just so elegantly simple and fun.  

On topic:  I feel really bad for Suda, his games are just...not popular.  This isn't a wii or casual or even to a degree Japan.  His games have done bad whether its on the wii, ps2, whether its mature or whether its in US vs Japan.  Killer7 and his other games didn't exactly do well anywhere.  A 30k LTD for killer7 on the biggest install base console (PS2) doesn't exactly say much does it?  

Around the Network

nintendo_fanboy and StarcraftManiac pretty much summed up the truth of the matter.

I adore Suda51, and he's one of my favorite developers, and I'm really looking forward to this game. If I was in Japan I would've been first in line, and asked for extra toilet paper, and taken a picture with the man.

The toilet paper is a hilarious idea, and they put ANYTHING on toilet paper in Japan. It's hilarious. I recently bought some funny toilet paper over there with some wacky manga characters I don't even recognize. I just gifted it to a friend as a joke and it was awesome. It had some wacky dude picking his nose, and drawings of turds on it.

Suda51 is funny and always doing wacky stunts like this to promote his games. He does interviews in a luchador mask, so this is actually tame in comparison.

But yeah, his following isn't that big yet, but the fans he has are pretty damn diehard like me. I hope it does better in the states.

@a.l.e.x59, Wii Sports is still THE game that showcases the Wii and its controller and shows why its different from the 360 and the PS3. People still see Wii Sports in malls or at parties and they immediately need one. I got one at launch and 4 of my friends bought one after playing Wii Sports at my house parties. For many people, Wii Sports is THE reason to own a Wii. It's definitely not a demo. If Wii Sports is a demo, then what the hell were Tetris and Pong and Pac-Man? You don't get to define "demo" as you see fit to insult certain games. I'm sure I can call some of your favorite games demos under different criteria.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

darconi said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
Really? That's interesting... I've always wondered why the number of Wii Sports sold, did not match the number of Wii consoles sold. Why would you want to buy Wii Sports, or Wii Play? They are more like demos, than full games.

Are you kidding?  Wii sports is one of the best games in history for me.  Wii play is more understandable because its bundled with a wiimote but Wii sports is a game that everyone should play or own.  

I've put much more of my gaming time into wii sports than pretty much any other game I've ever played with maybe one or two exceptions.  Just because a game doesn't have 500 different options for controlling options does not mean they're demos.  Its just so elegantly simple and fun.  

On topic:  I feel really bad for Suda, his games are just...not popular.  This isn't a wii or casual or even to a degree Japan.  His games have done bad whether its on the wii, ps2, whether its mature or whether its in US vs Japan.  Killer7 and his other games didn't exactly do well anywhere.  A 30k LTD for killer7 on the biggest install base console (PS2) doesn't exactly say much does it?

Sure, Wii Play is bundled with the Wii remote, but Wii Sports is bundled with the Wii itself... Well, at least in regions, other than Japan. Is Wii Play bundled with the Wii remote in Japan too, or no? Personally, Wii Sports is nothing more than a demo. I sold my copy for $5, and it got 77% on Game Rankings, which is nothing to be proud of. Oh well, if you like, you like it.

Game Rankings is a joke because.... people who rank games are jokes. If you give a shit about ratings, your favorite 5 games better be Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Soulcalibur, and the Orange Box.

I bet some of your favorite games are in the 70's.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Smash_Brother said:
ClaudeLv250 said: Nope.

Dragon Quest is about as "hardcore" as video games come, period.

As long as you can spend more time to increase the abilities of your character while not needing to increase personal skill, it won't be terribly "hardcore".

And since it'll come up, I define "hardcore" as games which challenge the player with tests of speed and reflex. Any game which is menu driven and has no urgency placed upon the player just doesn't classify in my book.

spending hours grinding at a game is basically the definition of Hardcore.  There are few acts more hardcore then "Level Grinding"

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

spending hours grinding at a game is basically the definition of Hardcore.  There are few acts more hardcore then "Level Grinding"

Yes and no.

It takes dedication to level grind, but anyone can do it if it involves no gamer reflexes.

Spending hours memorizing a boss' patterns until you can beat it is more "hardcore" since it requires both time and focus, but I agree that level grinding would turn away most cazzies.

As for the topic, I would have been second in line to see Suda. Even if I couldn't speak his language, I'd still want to shake his hand and get my picture taken with him. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

I want no more heroes to succeed so badly. I'm gonna have to make sure everyone I know who owns a wii buys it when it releases in the US. Also, I really want a roll of no more heroes toilet paper.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

Must be the toilet paper that scared people away..

Moongoddess256 said:
I want no more heroes to succeed so badly. I'm gonna have to make sure everyone I know who owns a wii buys it when it releases in the US. Also, I really want a roll of no more heroes toilet paper.
 I thought that would be right up your alley ( see what I did there?  if anyone didn't then PM me for an explanation)

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Port it over to X360 and PS3. Maybe it'll sell then.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.