By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - No More Heroes, No More Customers, No More Sales.

Spongebob said:
It bombed in Japan and it will bomb in North America and Europe. Wii third party support sucks lets just accept it and move on.

I'm looking forward to about 8 Wii 3rd party games this year myself, all of which can be considered traditional style games, so take what you will of it. Of course I want a few 1st party games as well (Mario Kart Wii and Disaster : Day of Crisis). :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network
Spongebob said:
It bombed in Japan and it will bomb in North America and Europe. Wii third party support sucks lets just accept it and move on.

Reported for trolling.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

:( This fucking sucks.

Japan has gotten too--... for the lack of a better word; "outgoing" lol. The youth and culture overall has changed alot these last few years, it bothers me that they seem to believe they have to change their image to not be put into that "japanese nerd" stereotype. Trust me, japanese feel they need to make people aware of this.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

rukusa said:
:( This fucking sucks.

Japan has gotten too--... for the lack of a better word; "outgoing" lol. The youth and culture overall has changed alot these last few years, it bothers me that they seem to believe they have to change their image to not be put into that "japanese nerd" stereotype. Trust me, japanese feel they need to make people aware of this.

It bothers me too, because 90% of my collection is japanese developed games, and if they all start developing for western audiences, I won't have anything to play. :(

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

breadie said:
Must be the toilet paper that scared people away..
 Yeah must b wouldnt you walk away from someone handing out free toliet paper infront of an electronics store? 

"Like you know"

Around the Network

*Slaps a.l.e.x.59 for his Wii Sports hate.*
*ignores rest of thread*

Smash_Brother said:

And RPGs are mostly casual games anyway, especially turn-based ones which require no reflex to succeed at.

Not trying to piss off RPG fans here, but you have to agree that TB-RPGs are the "softest" of all hardcore gaming.

Since noone else is going to come right out and say it, I will.

Your opinion is wrong. (Yes I know how that sounds).

RPG's casual? Man you guys are REALLY starting to go overboard with this crap now. You all want to encapsulate EVERY genre of gaming there is into your new definition of casual. One of the most traditional games EVER stemming back to the NES (Mario) has of late also been pulled into being called a casual game. It doesnt GET any more traditional than Mario, but Ill let it slide, but you stay away from RPG's. Trying to call them casual because you select from a menu? WHAT? Rpg's span 20 to 40 hours per game to complete. You have lost touch with reality when your trying to shove that off as casual gaming. 

I rebuke you! In the name of the lawd! 

Xyrax said: I rebuke you! In the name of the lawd! 

Yeah, that's great.

But here's the reality of the situation: most RPGs have only ONE thing standing in the way of you completing them and that, of course, is the amount of time you put in.

Normal games typically require you to learn a skill set within the game, something which requires you to adapt to the internal logic of the game and play accordingly or fail miserably.

Take Super Mario Bros., for example: either you get good at jumping or you die horribly. This isn't a question. This isn't up for DEBATE, it's the actual case, plain and simple.

I make an exception for RPGs which involve real-time combat or at least button reflex tests which require that you press buttons at the right time or your characters take piles of damage and deal very little. I also make an exception for RPGs which make the bosses have a percentage of your stats as opposed to set stats, but even those are a bit too forgiving.

My point is, in your standard linear JRPG, skill seldom comes into play: the game uses your stats as criteria for a random number generator to determine the outcome of a fight. 

With level grinding always being an option so you can superpower your characters into raw invincibility, the game is literally not allowing failure. Success is LITERALLY assured so long as you just keep playing the game.

Even Wii Sports with its casual-friendly nature isn't THAT forgiving. It's not like you can play 50 games of tennis and be unstoppable, even if you never learned how to get better and lost every single match. It takes a learned skill to succeed.

Traditional JRPGs may not be "casual" by the current definition, but they don't deserve to be called "hardcore" unless they bring skill into the equation somewhere and I've just played too many that absolutely do not. I'm not calling the genre into question for its fun factor because I've enjoyed RPGs in the past. It's just that I acknowledged that I wasn't exactly being challenged as a player as I did so.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

I'd say it's harder to level grind in your average RPG then it is to get better at about 90% of the games that involve reflexs.

Then again perhaps my talent just greatly outstrips my attention span.

I have to agree with Smash_Brother. As much as I deeply love my FF6, the only real skill was trying to pull off Sabin's special moves. Everything else was just level grinding.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.