By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 will fail to sell...

Gran Turismo 5 will fail to sell...

Best Selling Gran Turismo 939 37.95%

2nd Best Selling Gran Turismo 494 19.97%

3rd Best Selling Gran Turismo 389 15.72%

4th Best Selling Gran Turismo 116 4.69%

The Worst Selling Gran Turismo 536 21.67%

Total:2,474
Ginyu said:
pezus said:

How big was the PS2 base when GT3 launched again? ...

By the end of 2001 7 million more in 2 years than PS3 in 4 years.

GT3 was an early game so it sold well like FFX and MGS2 due to lack of competition. Same goes for why mediocre games likes Resistance and Motorstorm have sold over 3.5 million on PS3 they came out early when there where few options for PS3 owners to buy.

Thats why by the time Resistance 2 and Motorstorm 2 came out they disappointed because now there was GTA4, MGS4, Call of Duty etc   

GT5 is not in the same place as GT3 was.

Motorstorm 1 was pretty strongly bundled like MGS4. It was bundled with the last of a specific hardware size (80 gig I think), and was sold for a discounted price.

Resistance 1 also came out really early in the PS3's life (launch title), basically when it had no competition, but still a valid point.

However there is a counter example to this. Call of Duty is a growing franchise on current gen systems, and back in the PS2 days GTA also saw growing popularity. Also some games like Halo and Gears seem to platau at a certain sales figure, Reach nad Halo 3 are looking to pull similar numbers. GT was more of an example of the first, the decreasing popularity (as observed by GT1-4).

Also I totally agree with this statement. Although GT5 is the first full GT game on a playstation console, it's being released 4 years into the life of it. Thats about the same period GT2 and GT4 were released, so I think GT5 will more likely follow GT2 and GT4 sales trends. However they are not that different from GT1, and all are under 11 million.

GT3 was an exception because it was massivly bundled in the states. I remember when GT4 came out, you could buy a used copy of GT3 for $2. Is that not insane?

Install base means nothing, GT1 and GT3 sold well because they were released when the console was still growing, where GT2 and GT4 were released after the console peaked. GT5 is being released while the PS3 is peaking, and if it wasn't for Move, PS3 would most likely have been over its peak.

P.S. Kudos for talking some sence into Blue. I've been reading both of your comments, and it looks like you finally got him into a position where he can no longer make a proper counter arguement. So he calls you a cherry picker, LOL. I hope he realizes that it's very possible for the game to sell in the range of 6-9 million, but there is a good chance it will sell better. It's just so hard to be critical of the PS3 in these forums, but the same can't be said for Wii or 360.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

GT5 launches on 25th in Japan, VGC just made a launch sales prediction, but someone writes his numbers about it like they were already verified. A prophet, a wishful hater thinker or just a big semantic fail?   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

@Blue

I see your saying how bad peoples predictions are as they don't share your belief it will sell 15m units etc

So i wanted to ask you what your prediction is for GT5's first week worldwide? And what your prediction would be for GT5 by the end of the year?

15 million is a stretch, but 10 million is guarenteed.

PS3 Will Be King By 2016.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Michael-5 said:

P.S. Kudos for talking some sence into Blue. I've been reading both of your comments, and it looks like you finally got him into a position where he can no longer make a proper counter arguement. So he calls you a cherry picker, LOL. I hope he realizes that it's very possible for the game to sell in the range of 6-9 million, but there is a good chance it will sell better. It's just so hard to be critical of the PS3 in these forums, but the same can't be said for Wii or 360.

LMAO

He picks GT2 and GT4 numebrs to back his opinin while dismissing the others.  To prove some point he dismisses the highest sellign GT while keeping the lowest casue it helps his casue.

He uses info that helps his argument while tottaly ignores the info that cripples it.  

How is that not cherry picking ?

GT5 selling 6m only is as possible as MW failing to break 3m first week. 

Around the Network
Hyruken said:

@Blue

I see your saying how bad peoples predictions are as they don't share your belief it will sell 15m units etc

So i wanted to ask you what your prediction is for GT5's first week worldwide? And what your prediction would be for GT5 by the end of the year?

Im saying predictions of anywhere near 6m low is pretty bad. 

As i'v said multiple times, as long as it get a few days of release in its first week - 4.5

By jan 1, im sure i posted 7m somewhere.  

Blue3 said:
Michael-5 said:

LMAO

He picks GT2 and GT4 numebrs to back his opinin while dismissing the others.  To prove some point he dismisses the highest sellign GT while keeping the lowest casue it helps his casue.

He uses info that helps his argument while tottaly ignores the info that cripples it.  

Really now? use common sense, GT sold 2.55 million yes i know and it was the first game, GT4 sold 1.26 million and it was the last game out.

If your gonna compare sales you look at the latest release not the one from 12 years ago.

Like this upcoming FFvsXIII youd estimate its sales based off of FFXIII selling 1.9 million in Japan and it being the latest release, i wouldnt say it may sell 3.5 million just because FF7 sold 4 million in Japan. 

Thats just common sense for anything.

Blue3 said:
Hyruken said:

@Blue

As i'v said multiple times, as long as it get a few days of release in its first week - 4.5

A first week of 4.5 million? more than the PS3 version of Black ops 3.8 million? more than Halo Reach's 4 million? half of Black Ops?

With an estimated 500,000 in Japan? with only 280,000 preorders in US, its unlikely to hit 800,000 week 1 in US.

So its gonna do over 3 million in EMEAA week one? it took 27 weeks for GT4 to hit 3 million in EMEAA and GT5 is gonna top that in a few days???

Blue3 said:
Michael-5 said:

LMAO

How is that any different from what you do? Picking and choosing information to support your opinion.

Also MW sold 1.041 million week one, so you basically said 6 million is possible. Which I agree with you on, but unlikely.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Ginyu said:
Blue3 said:
Hyruken said:

@Blue

A first week of 4.5 million? more than the PS3 version of Black ops 3.8 million? more than Halo Reach's 4 million? half of Black Ops?

With an estimated 500,000 in Japan? with only 280,000 preorders in US, its unlikely to hit 800,000 week 1 in US.

So its gonna do over 3 million in EMEAA week one? it took 27 weeks for GT4 to hit 3 million in EMEAA and GT5 is gonna top that in a few days???

Seriously how old are you ?

GT4 came out in Feb22 in NA and March9 in Europe.

Yet just can't wrap your mind around the fact that coming out for Balck friday in NA and the holidays in Europe will mean higher then ever early sales for GT ?

You just can't get it through your head that preorders mean shit all when your games first week includes Balck Friday madness.  GT5 will get impulse/deal buys that it would have not gotten any other week of the year, wait i forgot week before chirstmas but wait GT5 will get those sales also.

You just cant understand the differance between a world wide late November release date compared to march april whatever broken up release.