By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Help with PC gaming build

Just letting you know if you haven't got a new GPU yet we have:

• New 6870 *7% slower than 5870 due to reshuffle but more efficient especially at tessellation.
  • New 6950/70 coming in November
  • New 6990 (dual chip) coming in December
  • Rumours of GF110 refresh for GF100 any time.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

• New 6870 *7% slower than 5870 due to reshuffle but more efficient especially at tessellation.

Do you suggest I wait for one of the new ones?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Squilliam said:

Absolutely.

P.S. ATI has a new AA technology, MLAA. You may have heard it talked about in such places as the Sony forum. Anyway it enables near free AA especially in games when you have no AA option.

So your best bets are:

1. Dual 6850 ($360) or 6870 ($480) which coincidentally uses as much power as a GTX 480.

2. Single Cayman 69xx ~$400 /- $50

3. GTX 580

In order they will likely release.

Tease.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Slimebeast said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

I'm not sure I really need to overclock this processor for my purposes. I really just plan to play WoW, and maybe a few other games.

What, you spent $2000 to play WoW?

lol haven't spent that last 500 yet, but I really have spent a lot of money on a good, upgradable PC that I have been wanting to build for years. I will enjoy WoW on it, yes and some other PC exclusives. It's the journey Slimebeast, not the destination.

Yeah I love building my own PC too. Choosing the specs, ordering the parts, open the packages, putting it together, installing, running games on it for the first time. Sweet.

Its for wow?! Well leave your cpu as is! Even mine which is slower at stock plays every game now perfectly.

Its better to close your case so it wont suck much dust inside and cpu's while playing never get as hot as they get with prime 95 so  you are super ok!

I agree with Squilliam keep your GTX260 and wait for the new ATI's. Your cpu will last more than a year at stock!

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Squilliam said:

Absolutely.

P.S. ATI has a new AA technology, MLAA. You may have heard it talked about in such places as the Sony forum. Anyway it enables near free AA especially in games when you have no AA option.

Wow that's amazing.

I'm definately gonna get the 6950 or 6970 then.

westplay said:

Its for wow?! Well leave your cpu as is! Even mine which is slower at stock plays every game now perfectly.

Its better to close your case so it wont suck much dust inside and cpu's while playing never get as hot as they get with prime 95 so  you are super ok!

I agree with Squilliam keep your GTX260 and wait for the new ATI's. Your cpu will last more than a year at stock!

lol, hopefully by then there will be a new AMD CPU available that I will think it worth upgrading to. I think that it will probably last longer than that though if it has to. It is not going to be a computer that is "on all the time" because I will probably only use it for WoW and Dragon Age and other games like that. The case temps are pretty low too, hovering around 30 degrees C.

I think I will hold onto the 260 for now and wait for the new GPUs. I almost just bought a GTX 470. They have them for like 250 bucks.

I ran memtest86 if I got that name right, and my ram has no errors at 1.65v. In fact I almost want to try it at 1.6v but I don't think it's hurting anything and I'm tired of messing with it, lol. It is rated for up to 1.75 so it won't hurt anything on my end I don't guess.

This system is running pleny well for my tastes. I'm not really upset with the temps, they aren't bad(not the best but not the worst for that setup either), and if I drop one of those new graphics cards in there in a few months, it will be a HELL of a gaming machine with no OC at all. Way better temps than you'd ever need if you aren't going to overclock. Min/Max aside, I'm not sure that I'd get a whole lot of benefit out of the games I'm playing with any OC on the processor anyway. The processor is pretty badass at stock speeds, lol. I have learned this.

Next build(years) I do, I'm going for water cooling, but I think this one is fine on air. I have the Cooler Master HAF case, and it's a case that really can't hold much heat, as it is full of huge holes and littered with huge fans.

I installed an extra drive bay fan to assist the processor fan and dropped my temps by 1 degree C. Nice blue LED to contrast with the red one.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the chance. :D

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Slimebeast said:
Squilliam said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Squilliam said:

Absolutely.

Wow that's amazing.

Its great especially for games which don't have an AA option. Just slap on some MLAA and you're laughing. Apparantly the 69xx series has some interesting tessellation optimisations.

@ Zen: The HD 6870 is a better buy than the GTX 470, cheaper and as fast whilst using way less power.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Slimebeast said:
Squilliam said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Squilliam said:

Absolutely.

Wow that's amazing.

Its great especially for games which don't have an AA option. Just slap on some MLAA and you're laughing. Apparantly the 69xx series has some interesting tessellation optimisations.

@ Zen: The HD 6870 is a better buy than the GTX 470, cheaper and as fast whilst using way less power.

Are they brand new on the market or what?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

PS: If possible, I just want 1 singe card. If those 6870's are good cards, I'd likely buy one tonight and be done with it, lol. Should I wait for future itterations of the card since they are just released. I have no problem waiting till decemberish(Cata comes out).

NO NO, NO NO NO.