By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Help with PC gaming build

Holy shit, wtf, how did I accidently buy an HDMI cable!?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Status update: The specs on this machine are becoming pretty high end. This isn't a water cooled dream machine yet, but it is certainly reaching the "high end" spectrum, the unavailabiliy of a better AMD CPU being the only concievable bottleneck.

Right now it contains the(imo) best case/cpu heatsink/fan for air cooling. The flagship AMD processor. A high end and overpowered PSU, the 2nd best AM3 socketed mobo on the planet, a sataIII high end SDD, a 1tb storage drive with a 300gb partition that using a trick is faster than a 10,000 rmp velociraptor, soon to be 8 gigs of DDR3 1666 gaming ram, a godlike dread-case, a 25 inch monitor, fan controls, 7 channel surround with toslink optical out, windows 7 professional 64 bit, and the best rated DVDRw drive on newegg. Each component having exceptionally high review scores both professionally and from consumers and being assembled and torture tested by yours truly.

A fucking hell of a machine for the clams, considering the monitor and the OS are included in the price.

Tomorrow I will attempt to assemble the first layer and boot to the bios at which time I will reflash with the latest revision. The next day will include the windows install and optimization, Friday I should being an extensive battery of torture tests, assuming everything has gone well.

The only flaw I've noticed thus far is the copper transferrence panel on the heat sync has light coming through when I hold a credit card on top. However, this is, I assume, to be expected from any machined part. I will check temps and if necessary rma.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Congrats on the build and good luck. Also get busy with the overclocking!

Tease.

Flagship AMD CPU, you mean the Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz I suppose?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

Nope, the AMD Phenom II x4 BE. To be honest, I pulled the term "flagship" from many of the reviews for the CPU. A lot of reviewers recommend this CPU over the 6 core due to the inability of the 6 core CPU to outperform the 4 core in certainly practical applications(such as gaming).

The 6 core is actually the PSP Go of the AMD line atm(unfair to the X6 but I'm trying to draw a parallel). I wouldn't call the PSP Go the flagship sony handheld though.

I'm just going by the user reviews for both processors though. I would have actually bought the 6 core no matter what the price, but I read via those reviews that the drawbacks were enough of a hassle to outweigh the benefits vs the higher clocked BE X4.

In the future though, as I've stated, I will upgrade to a better processor, but for my current purposes, the X6 is a sidegrade.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
NJ5 said:

Nope, the AMD Phenom II x4 BE. To be honest, I pulled the term "flagship" from many of the reviews for the CPU. A lot of reviewers recommend this CPU over the 6 core due to the inability of the 6 core CPU to outperform the 4 core in certainly practical applications(such as gaming).

The 6 core is actually the PSP Go of the AMD line atm(unfair to the X6 but I'm trying to draw a parallel). I wouldn't call the PSP Go the flagship sony handheld though.

I'm just going by the user reviews for both processors though. I would have actually bought the 6 core no matter what the price, but I read via those reviews that the drawbacks were enough of a hassle to outweigh the benefits vs the higher clocked BE X4.

In the future though, as I've stated, I will upgrade to a better processor, but for my current purposes, the X6 is a sidegrade.

Interesting. I think the X6 can turbo to 3.6 GHz (allegedly when up to 3 cores are being used), but maybe there's some other difference that makes it a bit worse for some games.

I actually chose the X6 1055T, but that was due to a special situation (I wanted the highest number of cores possible in order to develop and test some multicore algorithms). Considering the price, I think most people would be better served with a quad-core these days...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
NJ5 said:

Interesting. I think the X6 can turbo to 3.6 GHz (allegedly when up to 3 cores are being used), but maybe there's some other difference that makes it a bit worse for some games.

I actually chose the X6 1055T, but that was due to a special situation (I wanted the highest number of cores possible in order to develop and test some multicore algorithms). Considering the price, I think most people would be better served with a quad-core these days...

Well, let me say that there is NOTHING wrong with the X6, and it is really NOT the PSPGo, lol. It is a great processor. In fact, if you gimp it and disable 2 processors it is actually overclockable above the X4, and a cooler 4 core processor.

It's just that for my needs(gaming only) and considering the price difference, the X6 was not for me. Also, the definition of "flagship" is subjective, and I've seen it in professional reviews for both processors. :P

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Just an update. Nothing DOA, I did order a Satat III crucial SDD 64 gb. Reads are about 360mbps, Windows index on HDD for 1 drive is 7.8 before any optimization. Have the 1TB drive as a storage drive. Temps for CPU hover around 33C.

Pictures soon, I've installed windows 7 and my old EVGA GTX 260(as a temporary card, which has a 7 Windows index score itself). I'm optimizing and torture testing the system now, and this afternoon I will install the second 4 gigs of DDR3 1600.

Pictures soon. This thing is epic fast, and runs VERY cool. I'm proud, lol. I had to resurface the thermal past 3 times to make sure I got it just right. The monitor is epically big, lol 25 incher. Pictures soon!!! :):):)

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I need some help. What is the best software to inform me about my setup, torture test my rig, and optimize it? Is amd fusion any good? Haaalp! D=

It's all put together, have a GTX260 as temporary graphics card. Just set timings on my ram, and have 8 gigs running at 1600mhz 99924.

I also did a shitload of tweaks to Windows 7 to speed it up and to help support my SSD. For instance, I turned off the page file for the disc, and did about 25 rededit changes to speed things up and reduce write speeds. I'm even saving my temp files to my storage disc, hehe. I got Windows7 64 big down to well under 10gb with no signficant writing going on that I don't know about. No browser support on this PC.

Also, something very cool, this mobo has dual lan ports, and it assigns them different IP addresses, lol. I'm not sure how they work or if they work together, but it's awesome. I'm only using EVGA precision so far.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I need some help. What is the best software to inform me about my setup, torture test my rig, and optimize it? Is amd fusion any good? Haaalp! D=

It's all put together, have a GTX260 as temporary graphics card. Just set timings on my ram, and have 8 gigs running at 1600mhz 99924.

I also did a shitload of tweaks to Windows 7 to speed it up and to help support my SSD. For instance, I turned off the page file for the disc, and did about 25 rededit changes to speed things up and reduce write speeds. I'm even saving my temp files to my storage disc, hehe. I got Windows7 64 big down to well under 10gb with no signficant writing going on that I don't know about. No browser support on this PC.

Also, something very cool, this mobo has dual lan ports, and it assigns them different IP addresses, lol. I'm not sure how they work or if they work together, but it's awesome. I'm only using EVGA precision so far.

Congratulations on your new pc! I have the phenom 955 also and its great, i've overclocked it to 3.8ghz at 1.47 volts.

About torturing your pc, is it about overclocking? Use prime95 the 64 bit version, thats the one i use. Also remember to always monitor your temperatures, use pc wizard its a decent free program.

Your pc should be great for games and should run them perfectly for a few years since almost every game is  a port from consoles, pc's can run them easily. I have my pc for years now with 2 8800gt's and runs every game very good.

Which gfx did you choose?