By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Help with PC gaming build

haxxiy said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
haxxiy said:

You're quite concerned about cooling, aren't you?

lol, damn right. I want this to last me a while. Plus I'm a little obsessive compulsive anyway.

Yeah, I guess it will last for long time. I didn't bothered too much with cooling myself, one of the reasons I get insane temps when running the SLI at full (~100 degrees) but just a minority of games need all that power. It'll be fine as long as it lasts more one year or so, time by which I'll have another upgrade.

lol, same, saw the specs on your rig, SICK, you have 2  470 in SLI, lol? Is there a game your system doesn't dominate?

I'm thinking of going crossfire with 6870, supposed to have great scaling. When AMD releases a new CPU, I will probably upgrade, but not till I get crossfire going at earliest. CPU I got in there now is kinda temporary I guess. Great for games currently out, but not futureproof.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

I'm RMAing the 6870. It crashed on me today while playing Dragon Age origins. It is having stability issues. I am replacing it with a superclocked EVGA 470. My case has the cooling to support that card. RMA process is drama, 50 dollars restocking fee on the card. I'm kinda glad though. I am a huge EVGA fan, and I love their precision tool, and I wasn't really liking how I couldn't control the auto fan temps with CCC. Matter of fact, I kinda hate CCC. The 6870 was a great card though. It just started giving me some mediocre fps on Dragon Age Origins at 1080p, and crashing my whole system. I'm not sure if it is the current state of the drivers, or if I just got a dud card(my bet), but with the setup I got, DA:O should be at worst silky smooth, and certainly not crashing my computer.

So yah, dud card, I'm replacing it with a brand I trust, even though I have to add a space heater to my computer, lol. EVGA cards have lifetime warranties. With my 260, I have never, ever had a game crash, ever, and I have DA:O, a game that doesn't push half of the 6870, crashing me to restart on day 2, and NOT maintaining over 60fps consistantly, despite great case and GPU temps. Can't keep a broken card. :P RMAd.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Just to update everyone and explain why there are no pics yet...the rig is just not finished. I've rearranged several fans and added several parts since we last spoke. Most noticably I've reinstalled windows to get out of IDE mode, and I've added a second 120gb SDD with a sandforce controller. This is my Steam drive. Went with the Phoenix Pro series.

Probably the most notable change is I've upgraded graphics cards via stepup to a EVGA GTX 580(yep, you read right). I haven't recieved the card yet, but my queue is lowering as we speak. Trading in my 470. I'm gonna drop a Bulldozer in on launch day, buy a second Phoenix Pro 120 for Raid 0, and say hello to my little friend.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

...and also forgot to mention, I've overclocked my CPU to 3.6ghz with seemingly no significant increase in temps. I've also overclocked my ram to 88824 with no stability issues. 8 hours memtest86 . I figure a bump to 3.7 when the 580 comes in will be appropriate. For gaming, raw cheap clock speed ftw.

NO NO, NO NO NO.