By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Help with PC gaming build

ZenfoldorVGI said:

PS: If possible, I just want 1 singe card. If those 6870's are good cards, I'd likely buy one tonight and be done with it, lol. Should I wait for future itterations of the card since they are just released. I have no problem waiting till decemberish(Cata comes out).

If you want the one uber card you have about a month to wait. So hold your horses because you should be able to pick up a 6970 by the end of November. Its probably 2-3 weeks from availability right now. Should give you plenty of time to save.

I would so get one except im rocking a Saphire Vapour-X 5870! Whats the point for someone like me?

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

PS: If possible, I just want 1 singe card. If those 6870's are good cards, I'd likely buy one tonight and be done with it, lol. Should I wait for future itterations of the card since they are just released. I have no problem waiting till decemberish(Cata comes out).

If you want the one uber card you have about a month to wait. So hold your horses because you should be able to pick up a 6970 by the end of November. Its probably 2-3 weeks from availability right now. Should give you plenty of time to save.

I would so get one except im rocking a Saphire Vapour-X 5870! Whats the point for someone like me?

Same card as me! :)

Very nice card, was a good upgrade from my 4850

Now just need to upgrade my CPU/MB/RAM

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

What about this card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102909&cm_re=HD_6870-_-14-102-909-_-Product

It seems to be cheaper to inferior cards, and at a very good price. Why is it so cheap? Is it really worth double the money to get a "better" card, or should I not just get this one, and then in 3 years spend another 250 bucks a buy whatever version of this card is out then?

Is this really as good of a deal as it seems? Seems like a perfect card for my rig. My monitor is only 1080p, btw, and I won't be upgrading soon, cause I just bought it, 25 inches. :D

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Tanstalas said:
Squilliam said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Yeah, awesome card. Im afraid I own an 8800GTX in that I'll probably have it for years without anything decent to upgrade to! Anyway it'll take a year but the 28nm products are the ones I am waiting for. I never rebuy on the same process node, it feels like im not buying anything better.

What CPU etc? It takes a lot to get CPU limited if you have a decent quad core.

Tease.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

What about this card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102909&cm_re=HD_6870-_-14-102-909-_-Product

It seems to be cheaper to inferior cards, and at a very good price. Why is it so cheap? Is it really worth double the money to get a "better" card, or should I not just get this one, and then in 3 years spend another 250 bucks a buy whatever version of this card is out then?

Is this really as good of a deal as it seems? Seems like a perfect card for my rig. My monitor is only 1080p, btw, and I won't be upgrading soon, cause I just bought it, 25 inches. :D

Its sort of a slightly weaker HD 5870. It sort of goes HD 5850 < 6870 < 5870 however its faster than a GTX 470 and is really cheap for a launch chip. Its a return to the old HD 4870 sweet spot strategy. If you're the kind of gamer who wants to crank everything for the next few years it might not be enough. If you're the kind of gamer who upgrades frequently anyway because you like to, then its perfect and if you're the kind of gamer who doesn't mind turning a few things down in a few years then its perfect too. However its best you check its reviews out and decide for yourself.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850-barts,2776-10.html

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Tanstalas said:
Squilliam said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Yeah, awesome card. Im afraid I own an 8800GTX in that I'll probably have it for years without anything decent to upgrade to! Anyway it'll take a year but the 28nm products are the ones I am waiting for. I never rebuy on the same process node, it feels like im not buying anything better.

I have a Q6700 with an Asus P5Q-E board.

Co-worker has same CPU and had it OC'd to 3.3 but ran  bit warm so he put it down to 3.0 and it runs cool

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Tanstalas said:
Squilliam said:

I have a Q6700 with an Asus P5Q-E board.

Co-worker has same CPU and had it OC'd to 3.3 but ran  bit warm so he put it down to 3.0 and it runs cool

That shouldn't be a problem. Anyway you should hold off until AMD Bulldozer / Intel Sandy Bridge are out on their new sockets. The current ones are no longer forwards compatible, unfortunately however Intel are continuing with their enthusiast / mainstream sockets.

Tease.

I took the cooler off and reapplied thermal paste and reinstalled the heatsync/fan. My temps actually went up a bit, lol. I'm back at 50(but will drop if it is the same as last time).

Anyway, I'm not certain that said part is installed correctly. Hence, I think the temps are normal for that processor/heatsync combo. Is 49-51 degrees full load too hot, if I don't plan to overclock? I think it is like 20 degrees under dangerous temps for that cpu. :P

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Just broke down and bought this card. I figure if I want to do crossfire, this is the card I can afford. No offense to your card Squilliam, but it is 150 MORE dollars than this care with like 5 percent performance increase. :P Damn the drama, lol, I can almost buy TWO of these at that price and crush all beneath earth and heaven.

This card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102909

Anyway, this is about as much card as I ever need, and I really like it because it's relatively cool and low power draw. It's dirt cheap, which is also a huge benefit, lol. Nothing in the price range comes close, even the 470's which they have cut to like half price now. Those things are too hot and noisy and still more expensive. :P

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Woot, epic gaming build accomplished. GPU will be in this week and I will wrap up fan placement too. Going to tweak some more SDD settings now. Boy, breaking it open to reset the heatsync was DRAMA, never doing that again, fuck temperatures. I play it till it breaks.

NO NO, NO NO NO.