By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS Battery Life, Suddenly I'm Concerned

Demotruk said:
Snesboy said:

3DS matches DSi in terms of battery life. But if you have a DS, the best way to go is always the DS lite. 19 hours of battery life with the screen on it's lowest brightness and 40 hours of battery life if you are playing a GBA game. Awesome ^_^

Btw, what on earth is this cradle everyone keeps talking about?

Watch any of the 3DS trailers from the recent conference and you'll see it.

Okay. So what the hell does it do? (I watched a trailer on GT)

Wait a second...that big bulky disgusting thing is the charger? Why the hell does it need to be so big?

Around the Network

I'm moreso the type of gamer who really doesn't take my handhelds/games on the go. The place where I mostly play my DS/iPhone is ironically in my room/T.V. area.

So battery life has never really impacted me (seeing as it's plugged in as I'm playing anyways), but I can see how this could affect gamers who actually make their portables... er... portable.

This is a dumb thread. Don't freak out just because you lost a little battery life. This is what you do if your 3DS starts to die.......wait for it......You charge it. OMG, problem solved. For the person who said if you forget your car charger, charger, or usb charger at home, well just don't forget it. That is nobodies fault but your self. 

JayWood2010 said:

This is a dumb thread. Don't freak out just because you lost a little battery life. This is what you do if your 3DS starts to die.......wait for it......You charge it. OMG, problem solved. For the person who said if you forget your car charger, charger, or usb charger at home, well just don't forget it. That is nobodies fault but your self. 

None of this detracts from the fact that a longer battery life makes is useful from a consumer perspective. Whether or not it's your fault that you forget a charger once in a while is irrelevant.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

I really hope not. Ops, forgot I won't buy it, at least for now. In 3 years we talk about this issue.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

I think its alittle early to be judging the 3DS battery life as none of us actually have one. I remember when the DS launched the origional apparently had a 10-hour battery life. Now I have not actually clocked the DS:Lite or heard how long its battery lasts but I'm pretty sure it is even higher then the origional model.

So I suspect we will get a fairly long charge, probubly able to last about 7-9 hours, I doubt it will be drastically worse then the origional DS. Now where I do have to cringe is how little charge the PSP2 will have seeing as it should be packing a much bigger graphical punch and use alot more power then even its prediscessor~!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

I doubt graphics will have an impact on the battery life, mostly because the 3DS uses cartridges that simply load the game, wheras the PSP uses UMD's which require both a laser and a spinner to work.

Demotruk said:
Hephaestos said:

anything above 10 hours is unecessary... how often would that be usefull?

hey i'm gonna take a 20 hours without a stop at hotel trip every month.... without being the driver of the car and without a power plug in the train/plane.

not likely...

As often as you forget to bring your charger on any sort of weekend or longer trip. For example if someone goes home to their parents on the weekends from college/university.

And let's not forget about kids, who are never the driver and the purpose of a handheld console is to keep them quiet in the back of the car.

Don't know about you but whenever I'm riding with my parents (not very often anymore)...there is a port in the back of the vehicle to charge stuff.  I think a lot of newer vehicles have this...just saying.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

JayWood2010 said:

So I have to carry around 3 separate chargers and tether it to various sockets with extremely limiting mobility in order to play my portable system? That is the worst idea ever.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I just hope battery life ism't at the level of the first PSP model (was that the 1000) which had something like 4-5 hours. I'm preparing for the worst given Iwata's comment though. Personally I consider a battery life of less than DSLite to be worse than unacceptable.