By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Comparing 12 months of the PS3 vrs PS2 (& PSP) (in Japan)

There is a lot of misinformation flying around, regarding the "relative" performance of the PS3 vrs the PS2. So I thought I would put this together, along with some "hard facts" (all VGChartz figures).

The PS3 has currently been out for 56 weeks - and actually has the benefit of 1.5 Xmas's - vrs just 1 for the PS2 (for same period of time) - given that it was a March '00 release.

=== After 56 weeks (Japan) ===

PS3:

- 1,484k hardware
- 2,941k software
- 1.98 attach rate

PS2:

- 4,144k hardware
- 10,372k software
- 2.50 attach rate

http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=36975&console=&maker=&disp=Japanese+Name&boxartz=1

--- Biggest selling software (in same weekly charts) ---

PS3:

- Everybodys Golf 5, 391k
- Gundam Musou, 290k
- Dynasty Warriors 5, 304k
- Blade Storm, 124k
- Winning Eleven 08, 176k

PS2:

- Winning Eleven 5, 267k
- Onimushi, 946k
- Victorious Boxers, 326k
- Mobile Suit Gundam, 354k
- The Bouncer 370k
- Pro Baseball '99, 542k
- Tekken Tag Tournament, 507k
- Ridge Racer 5, 752k
- Kessen, 404k

(note - the PS2 charts only have 3 pages, i.e. 150 titles - versus 200 for recent charts)

For comparison, the PSP after 56 weeks in Japan:

http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=38718&console=&maker=&disp=Japanese+Name&boxartz=1

PSP:

- 2,730k hardware
- 3,000k software
- 1.09 attach rate

Conclusion:

The PS2 has significantly outperformed the PS3 (in Japan) for the same duration from launch. Hardware sales are around 3:1, and software around the same ratio. The attach rate is almost identical, which is heartening - and indicates that maybe Sony just need to get a LOT more hardware out into the market.

Also interestingly, the PSP has significantly outsold PS3 hardware in the same time period (approx 2:1), but almost the same amount of software (and with a much lower attach rate to match).

The PS2 also had a significant advantage in the quantity of software released near launch, with many titles having very strong sales to match. Only 3 PS3 titles have sold 300k+ to date - whereas more than 8 PS2 titles matched the same level, with 5 (+?) titles doing 500k or more.

(for a quick comparison - the Wii has only been out for 53 weeks in Japan, and is on track to match the PS2 in hardware sales - and has exceeded PS2 software sales by more than 10% to date).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Interesting chart. PS2 launch was in March 2000, not '99.

Ooops - that is what I meant :P All fixed now...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I'm more interested in a comparison between the Wii and the PS2...

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

omg at the bouncer...

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I wonder why there is sucha low attach rate. I guess because Japan is more HD then everyone else, (percentage wise) and pretty much completly Blu-ray.

Around the Network

interesting to see the wii has sold more software than the ps2 so far. now can we please stop saying that wii owners don't buy games >_>

i didn't know onimusha used to be that big...

Wow , the PS3 actually has a grea attach rate IMO ... also , dont be surprised that the PSP has a lower attach rate , every handheld untill the DS had lower attach rate than the console , in the same timeframe/units ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

But But but history always repeats itself, this cannot be true!!

ohh when will they learn..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

@neos

Its notover

mM

By now I'm fairly certain that the PS3 will never come even close to 10 million units sold in Japan. The market there has a long history of choosing one console over the rest, and they've clearly made their choice already.

5 million is probably happening, but even 7 would be pretty unlikely.