By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Comparing 12 months of the PS3 vrs PS2 (& PSP) (in Japan)

Wii is next gen, Japan has never been about graphics as much as US, look at The Dragon Warrior series, the graphics were always just "okay".

I honestly think that gamers as a whole are not the graphics whores we were say back in the late N64 days when we were comparing polygon counts for the xbox and PS2, games have changed and graphics are no longer the 1# selling point, they are big just not number one.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

Sooo, where in this post of yours does it mention the Playstation 3 was twice the price of the Playstation 2 at launch and was not what I would call significantly out performed by it? And in your first sentence you say theres alot of misinformation flying around, tell me about it.

This is a flawed comparison, for example, to say that a 300 dollars system sold twice as many units in the same time as a 600 dollar system is to say the system did AS WELL as the cheaper one.

At least, in my opinion.

sadly we have no idea what the PSN titles have sold. All those PS1 downloadable titles..

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

thanks for the post shams. xD

carlos710 said:

so I still have faith that sooner or later Japanese people will want real next-gen graphics , and I dont think the 360 will be a solution ...

Because everyone in Japan dropped their DS for a psp, right?

winner

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
SRLemmiwinks said:
Sooo, where in this post of yours does it mention the Playstation 3 was twice the price of the Playstation 2 at launch and was not what I would call significantly out performed by it? And in your first sentence you say theres alot of misinformation flying around, tell me about it.

This is a flawed comparison, for example, to say that a 300 dollars system sold twice as many units in the same time as a 600 dollar system is to say the system did AS WELL as the cheaper one.

At least, in my opinion.

An opinion not well versed in sales logic i'd say.  Double price pretty much never means half sales.  Sales work on a curve. 

Also, intial pricing greatly effects how much a product will sell.  Setting too high a price for a product originally can hurt you even after your price has dropped to the "correct" level.

Price is irrelevant. Its Sony's decision to price the products as they are. What matters are sales. You also have to factor in that a PS3 costs more to MAKE than say a Wii does (if you care about price).

re: 56 weeks = 12 months --> read my initial post. Since extra time only provides a MORE accurate comparison, I used the current length of time that the PS3 has been out for (and used the same time period for all comparisons).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Interesting comparison although it seems that the ps3 has only recently turned the corner in Japan and I see their sales there increasing and them giving the wii much stiffer competition next year.

If anything, I think the Wii will become more dominant next year. This year was sort of the "trial period" for the console - and in general, it has passed with flying colours.

We'll see though - to date (IMO), all of the PS3 "big hits" have failed to capture the market (Gundam, Dynasty Warriors, HotShotGolf) - WKS, MGS, etc.

I don't think FF will come into the equation until 2009.

For the PS3 to truly succeed, it needs to demonstrates true "next-gen" titles that just aren't possible at the moment. The Wii has been the only console (this year) that has been introducing "true" new gaming experiences. The PS3 needs to move away from prettier versions of old games, into new gameplay experiences.

(I'm guessing GTA4 is going to be a great example of a real next-gen title...)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

^^exactly. Although PS3 has some very huge software next yr, the thing with wii is that it seems that any software can sell huge. Its not only abt the million selllers, the games that sold over 300k is just phenomenol and there's much much more to come. Still i think PS3 will sell above 360 next yr, especially if it can establish itself in EU