By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Comparing 12 months of the PS3 vrs PS2 (& PSP) (in Japan)

johnsobas said:
omg at the bouncer...

This is back when Square-Enix was still coming off of their, "everything we make for the PSX is a million seller" phenomenon. So, even a 5-hour-long tech demo could sell in the hundreds of thousands if it had their name on it. =P

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

Great comparison, shams. I'm posting in this thread so I can refer back to it whenever someone tries to perpetuate the "all Sony systems start slowly" myth.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Parokki said:
By now I'm fairly certain that the PS3 will never come even close to 10 million units sold in Japan. The market there has a long history of choosing one console over the rest, and they've clearly made their choice already.

5 million is probably happening, but even 7 would be pretty unlikely.

Wow , your really not confidetn that games like GT5 , MGS4 and FFXIII can make a difference . Dont get me wrong , but seeing how Wii sales are going , Im not shure that it wasaccepted as the main console in Japan yet ... so I still have faith that sooner or later Japanese people will want real next-gen graphics , and I dont think the 360 will be a solution ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

since when is 56 weeks = 12 months?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

Who said that?

Around the Network

so I still have faith that sooner or later Japanese people will want real next-gen graphics , and I dont think the 360 will be a solution ...

Because everyone in Japan dropped their DS for a psp, right?

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

cool48 said:
kirby007 said:

Who said that?

look first post and then thread title

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

hunter_alien said:
Parokki said:
By now I'm fairly certain that the PS3 will never come even close to 10 million units sold in Japan. The market there has a long history of choosing one console over the rest, and they've clearly made their choice already.

5 million is probably happening, but even 7 would be pretty unlikely.

Wow , your really not confidetn that games like GT5 , MGS4 and FFXIII can make a difference . Dont get me wrong , but seeing how Wii sales are going , Im not shure that it wasaccepted as the main console in Japan yet ... so I still have faith that sooner or later Japanese people will want real next-gen graphics , and I dont think the 360 will be a solution ...

Why do people always say [short list of games] will save [console X]?  It makes no sense.  Super Mario 64 was the best selling game of its generation and plenty of other N64 games did incredibly well, but the N64 was still nowhere near the PSX.  The 2 Halos, Melee, and Double Dash had fantastic sales last generation, and yet the XBox and GameCube combined don't even make up half of the PS2's sales.  A platform can be nowhere near first place and have games that sell well; by the same logic, a few games that sell well will not suddenly boost the hardware into first place.

carlos710 said:

so I still have faith that sooner or later Japanese people will want real next-gen graphics , and I dont think the 360 will be a solution ...

Because everyone in Japan dropped their DS for a psp, right?

The DS was from day 1 a more popular handheld in Japan than the PSP ... but you cant say that about the 360 ... the Wii clearly has a great shot for #1 position in Japan , but lets be honest , the 360 will clearly be #3 in the land of the rising sun ....

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Wow , the PS3 actually has a grea attach rate IMO ... also , dont be surprised that the PSP has a lower attach rate , every handheld untill the DS had lower attach rate than the console , in the same timeframe/units ...

Les then two games a system is a good attach ratio? 

You can really tell your system of choice is the PSP!

Hah.