By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: 3 millions for Kinect this holiday

Quite an ambitous goal.

In fact, Greenberg is very bullish on Kinect, predicting three million sales this holiday season, globally.

"Our key indicators are feedback from retailers -- I think you'd be surprised at how sophisticated they are, and they really have the pulse of the market. They're looking at preorders, they're talking to customers.

"We're also done our own research. We believe this will be the biggest launch in our history, for Xbox. We will sell more Kinect sensors than we did [systems] at Xbox 360 launch."

"Our estimates that we will sell in excess of 3 million units this holiday," The company is spending "hundreds of millions" of dollars in marketing, "exceeding in what we did when we launched the original Xbox 360," says Greenberg.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30452/TGS_Kinects_To_Sell_3_Million_Extend_Generation_Says_MS_Greenberg.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

Around the Network

I'm thinking closer to 4 million myself unless shortages take affect. Seems to be getting pretty decent preorders in the UK even with the £129 ($200) pricetag.

Hmm not so farfetched imo

With the marketing and hype it makes sense. The real test will be long-term I think. Will consumers still be picking this up next holiday season or will the software disappoint resulting in a giant white elephant.

I don't know about this prediction.  I mean I see Kinect selling maybe 1 mil (though I would guess more in line with 500K-750K) units the first week.  And something tells me the word of mouth isn't going to the greatest.  Nor will the gaming line-up be that spectacular to support another 2 mil units sold in less than 2 months.  Then there's the fact that Kinect will overwhelmingly be ignored by Japan.  But, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Around the Network

trust me kinect is a cheating gaming device

just perform some action will get what the command needed in the game

not necessary to do so much movement

it will work just like Wii remote not so fun after all

it just a trick to cheat people that is not aware of technology

sad for anybody who don't really know it who get mentally cheated

After the announcements of awesome core stuff like Steel Battalion and Panzer Dragoon this doesn't seem far fetched at all.  

I know I was gonna wait till probably next year to get one but now I'm for sure getting one at launch.

That will be my Kinect bundle I have on pre order. The Kinect bundle with the 250GB 360 is now only £279 on which is a saving of £50 over buying the console and kinect system seperately.

So I expect to form a small hardware bump all by myself in November.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
AnveL said:

trust me kinect is a cheating gaming device

just perform some action will get what the command needed in the game

not necessary to do so much movement

it will work just like Wii remote not so fun after all

it just a trick to cheat people that is not aware of technology

sad for anybody who don't really know it who get mentally cheated

Fanboy ricochet!

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

It better sell 3 million, that marketing budget is ridiculous.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752