By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Headset For Call Of Duty: Black Ops Wii

Exblackman said:

Lord ..Chop till you drop had use a different engine than the 360 because couldn't fit on the wii without having to sacrifice too many things( it uses the resident evil 4 engine by  way) (1)and now your asking a straight port of a engine made for HD systems based on their architecture to have mutiplayer split screen on the wii....(2) I think you asking for the impossible in this situation without sacrificing other equally as important things like frame rates, draw distances ,enemy AI and level size... all these things will take hit from split screen  because there is no way the wii architecture can handle that if the engine was not design for the wii itself(3)

1. I knew that. I also know it's a modified form of the engine, which is why I get annoyed at claims I've seen that the game was stuck at running on Gamecube specs. BTW, the Modern Warfare engine has been put on the Wii, so this has an advantage over that.

2. It's not a port. It's a multiplatform release, since it's made at the same time.

3. That just applies to co-op. I can live with that not included. Not allowing even split screen deathmatch, even just completely offline so there are only 4 characters to render, is the problem I'm having.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I did not say the game is a port the engine is  the port. The engine is same made for the hd systems (Call of Duty 4 engine modifed/updated) which Treyarch heralds in their news releases for putting on the wii. So we have engine not design for the wii and made to use more memory and power then wii has not, and expect local multiplayer to be the first to go is kinda weird... multiplayer takes up the most memory out of anything in a game especially in fps... draw distances, frame rates,physics, lighting, and etc then run that four times. Even on hd systems that will cause slow downs and other problems and expect the same engine  on the wii  to run multiplayer fine is kinda wishful thinking

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

Exblackman said:

I did not say the game is a port the engine is  the port. The engine is same made for the hd systems (Call of Duty 4 engine modifed/updated) which Treyarch heralds in their news releases for putting on the wii. So we have engine not design for the wii and made to use more memory and power then wii has not, and expect local multiplayer to be the first to go is kinda weird... multiplayer takes up the most memory out of anything in a game especially in fps... draw distances, frame rates,physics, lighting, and etc then run that four times. Even on hd systems that will cause slow downs and other problems and expect the same engine  on the wii  to run multiplayer fine is kinda wishful thinking

Just ignore him. He doesn't understand development of a game. He's overestimating the Wii. Even if a developer told him otherwise, he wouldn't believe it and tell them they are wrong. Just don't argue with him, he's a "closeted troll."

Currently enjoying: Monster Hunter Tri.

Exblackman said:

I did not say the game is a port the engine is  the port.(1) The engine is same made for the hd systems (Call of Duty 4 engine modifed/updated) which Treyarch heralds in their news releases for putting on the wii. So we have engine not design for the wii and made to use more memory and power then wii has not, and expect local multiplayer to be the first to go is kinda weird... multiplayer takes up the most memory out of anything in a game especially in fps... draw distances, frame rates,physics, lighting, and etc then run that four times.(2) Even on hd systems that will cause slow downs and other problems and expect the same engine  on the wii  to run multiplayer fine is kinda wishful thinking(3)

1. Well the context of your comment made it seem like that. So I was confused.

2. I didn't know multiplayer took up most of the resources. Had I known that, I would have been more understanding.

Yet that still could have gotten around it. Co-op would of course be out. But again, what about strictly offline competative multiplayer? Even if the maps would somehow be too big for four people, I did mention making Wii exclusive maps made to fit those.

3. Well if the polygons, texturing, and effects were reduced, that would make room, since that would free up resources. But it could be something that only happens with split screen. Single screen would have full graphics. Yes, that would mean making two models for everything, but that could also be done with the HD systems to reduce resource strain. Just a suggestion for next time.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Crazybone126 said:
Exblackman said:

Just ignore him. He doesn't understand development of a game. He's overestimating the Wii. Even if a developer told him otherwise, he wouldn't believe it and tell them they are wrong. Just don't argue with him, he's a "closeted troll."

No, I can understand the development of a game. I've even asked developers questions when I actually had the chance to.

And if you paid attention to my recent comments, you would see I'm not overestimating the Wii. I'm stading the game should be further adjusted for it.

As to the bolded part, I actually stopped believing ports were easy because Capcom told me they took work. So don't assume I won't believe their word.

Besides, he actually explained that multiplayer takes up resources. You gave me a bunch of games that didn't run well in single player, and expected me to buy that as evidence. How dare you blame me for not buying your faulty argument, when I've shown I will accept a valid one.

Around the Network

Ok ...I apologize on the mixup on context.. that my fault

Secondly your idea about  how to implement multiplayer are probably the only options to do it right in this case but I doubt they would have have suceeded in time  for release ....the wii version team main focus was probably trying to create at least amount of difference from the hd ones as possible in  allotted time allow.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

Exblackman said:

Secondly your idea about  how to implement multiplayer are probably the only options to do it right in this case but I doubt they would have have suceeded in time  for release ....the wii version team main focus was probably trying to create at least amount of difference from the hd ones as possible in  allotted time allow.

Well if Goldeneye outsells this game on the Wii, then they really should consider splitscreen a priority next time. It should have been a priority this time, instead of just trying to make the visuals match. Those that don't care about graphics won't care anyway, and those that do won't be impressed anyway, just becasuse it's a Wii game.

I still understand the resources issue, but again, the focus is for something that has been proven to be a losing priority. The graphics whores among the reviewers will not be impressed no matter how it looks. Those that aren't will note that losing split screen means this version still has less content.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Exblackman said:

Well if Goldeneye outsells this game on the Wii, then they really should consider splitscreen a priority next time. It should have been a priority this time, instead of just trying to make the visuals match. Those that don't care about graphics won't care anyway, and those that do won't be impressed anyway, just becasuse it's a Wii game.

I still understand the resources issue, but again, they focus is for something that has been proven to be a losing priority.

They aren't trying to make visuals match, they are trying to make the content match.

Put it this way, Goldeneye isn't missing voice chat for no reason. In order to put the splitscreen in, they had to cut something out. Voice chat is what they cut. Notice Goldeneye also only supports 8 players online. Even for the Wii, that's an extremely low player count. For Conduit 2, the thing that I've noticed they've dumbed down is enemy AI. They've made it sort of better, but it still isn't all THAT great. In order to put splitscreen in, you must cut A LOT of stuff. 

Crazybone126 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Exblackman said:

I still understand the resources issue, but again, they focus is for something that has been proven to be a losing priority.

They aren't trying to make visuals match, they are trying to make the content match.(1)

Put it this way, Goldeneye isn't missing voice chat for no reason. In order to put the splitscreen in, they had to cut something out. Voice chat is what they cut. Notice Goldeneye also only supports 8 players online. Even for the Wii, that's an extremely low player count. For Conduit 2, the thing that I've noticed they've dumbed down is enemy AI. They've made it sort of better, but it still isn't all THAT great. In order to put splitscreen in, you must cut A LOT of stuff. (2)

1. Well there is the question of whether split screen is content. I'll leave that for later.

2. I'm not doubting that. And for co-op, I can understand that. My issue is for competative. Why not allow it for strictly offline. Sure that would mean less split-screen than the other versions, but it would still have some for friends gathered together to play. What is it about the multiplayer maps that still can't allow just four people in split screen? That's an honest question.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Crazybone126 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Exblackman said:

They aren't trying to make visuals match, they are trying to make the content match.(1)

Put it this way, Goldeneye isn't missing voice chat for no reason. In order to put the splitscreen in, they had to cut something out. Voice chat is what they cut. Notice Goldeneye also only supports 8 players online. Even for the Wii, that's an extremely low player count. For Conduit 2, the thing that I've noticed they've dumbed down is enemy AI. They've made it sort of better, but it still isn't all THAT great. In order to put splitscreen in, you must cut A LOT of stuff. (2)

1. Well there is the question of whether split screen is content. I'll leave that for later.

2. I'm not doubting that. And for co-op, I can understand that. My issue is for competative. Why not allow it for strictly offline. Sure that would mean less split-screen than the other versions, but it would still have some for friends gathered together to play. What is it about the multiplayer maps that still can't allow just four people in split screen? That's an honest question.

That's a question the developers are going to have to answer. Or somebody a little more qualified than I am. I'm sure there are some programmers here.