Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Headset For Call Of Duty: Black Ops Wii

LordTheNightKnight said:
Crazybone126 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Crazybone126 said:
thekitchensink said:
Crazybone126 said:
thekitchensink said:

Strange that they'd put voice chat in this but not Goldeneye, considering they're the same genre from the same publisher coming out at the same time...

Treyarch has been negotiating with Nintendo since after the release of Modern Warfare: Reflex for a headset voice chatting system, allowing large downloadable content, and patching. Actually, Treyarch are the ones who got Nintendo to allow a headset, not High Voltage Software. Treyarch are also the ones who pushed downloadable content and patching down Nintendo's throats, not High Voltage. Now with Conduit 2 delayed, Black Ops will be the first Wii game with headset voice chat support, patching, and downloadable content. I'm not trying to discredit High Voltage, but really, Treyarch has done most of the hard work when it comes to online for the Wii nowadays, due to negotiating for an entire year with Nintendo. The PDP headset is actually a second party headset, meaning Nintendo actually did some work with it. Mad Catz are also developing a Wii headset strictly for Black Ops, just as they are with the other consoles. Turtle Beach may also be hopping on this Wii headset wagon, but that's not yet confirmed and mostly speculation. 

You're correct about the first two, but several Wii games have had DLC, including most of the Guitar Heroes and Rock Bands, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, and a few other WiiWares.  But it's true that it's the first that supports all three of those things.

But where did you hear that it will have DLC?  First I've heard of it.

Notice that I said "large downloadable content." Neither of the games you mentioned contain "large downloadable content." When I say large downloadable content, I'm talking map pack size. I'm talking like a gigabyte's worth of content. Those games only truthfully had a few megabytes. 

And for the people wondering where I heard of this, I work for the same website as Viper1. I'm pretty sure you all know who that is, and I'm pretty sure he has mentioned he works in the gaming media. I have a source who tells me ALL about Call of Duty: Black Ops. Oh, and yes, it will have zombies, but it won't have splitscreen multiplayer. Those are really only going to be the only things missing. Everything else will be there. Even the graphics engine has gotten a complete overhaul, enough for the game to have destructible and expansive environments running on the Wii. 

Still no splitscreen? That makes it much lower on my list now.

Believe me when I say this, they tried really hard to get splitscreen to work, but people have to understand, it's VERY hard to get splitscreen on the Wii. Especially for a Call of Duty game. I know quite a few of you are going to say "but Conduit 2 and Goldeneye have it." Just look at the two games. Do they have the same expansive environments? Do they have the same physics? Do they have a large number of enemies on screen? The answer would quite obviously be "no." Call of Duty: Black Ops has already been shown to have huge, vast, and expansive environments that have a lot of destructibility and a lot going on within them. Do you really think the Wii could handle rendering 2-4 of that at the same time without having to tremendously dumb down the graphics/performance? Of course not. Believe it or not, they just cut splitscreen completely a little over a month ago. The Wii just couldn't handle it. 

Now while I understand that tech on the Wii is often overestimated, I still say that was not a smart move. Local multiplayer has been shown to be a true selling point for Wii games. It's ironic that the supposedly more online dependent HD games still often have full local multiplayer.

BTW, did this just apply to co-op, or competative multiplayer? If the latter is still split-screen, I could live with that. Taking it out completely would show that graphics and physics are still being put ahead of the things that truly sell games.

there will still be online co-op for the Wii version, but there will not be any form of splitscreen. So you won't be able to play zombies with a buddy alongside you, but you will be able to play zombies with your online buddies. You also won't be able to play a little Deathmatch with a buddy alongside you. So again, there won't be ANY splitscreen in the Wii version of Black Ops.

I know it's disappointing for some, but it's just the truth. This will STILL be the biggest online game the Wii has ever seen. If you thought Modern Warfare: Reflex was great, then Black Ops is going to be 2x that. Believe Treyarch when they say "this game will blow Wii owners away."

Currently enjoying: Monster Hunter Tri.

Around the Network
Crazybone126 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Crazybone126 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Crazybone126 said:
thekitchensink said:
Crazybone126 said:
thekitchensink said:

Strange that they'd put voice chat in this but not Goldeneye, considering they're the same genre from the same publisher coming out at the same time...

Treyarch has been negotiating with Nintendo since after the release of Modern Warfare: Reflex for a headset voice chatting system, allowing large downloadable content, and patching. Actually, Treyarch are the ones who got Nintendo to allow a headset, not High Voltage Software. Treyarch are also the ones who pushed downloadable content and patching down Nintendo's throats, not High Voltage. Now with Conduit 2 delayed, Black Ops will be the first Wii game with headset voice chat support, patching, and downloadable content. I'm not trying to discredit High Voltage, but really, Treyarch has done most of the hard work when it comes to online for the Wii nowadays, due to negotiating for an entire year with Nintendo. The PDP headset is actually a second party headset, meaning Nintendo actually did some work with it. Mad Catz are also developing a Wii headset strictly for Black Ops, just as they are with the other consoles. Turtle Beach may also be hopping on this Wii headset wagon, but that's not yet confirmed and mostly speculation. 

You're correct about the first two, but several Wii games have had DLC, including most of the Guitar Heroes and Rock Bands, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, and a few other WiiWares.  But it's true that it's the first that supports all three of those things.

Notice that I said "large downloadable content." Neither of the games you mentioned contain "large downloadable content." When I say large downloadable content, I'm talking map pack size. I'm talking like a gigabyte's worth of content. Those games only truthfully had a few megabytes. 

And for the people wondering where I heard of this, I work for the same website as Viper1. I'm pretty sure you all know who that is, and I'm pretty sure he has mentioned he works in the gaming media. I have a source who tells me ALL about Call of Duty: Black Ops. Oh, and yes, it will have zombies, but it won't have splitscreen multiplayer. Those are really only going to be the only things missing. Everything else will be there. Even the graphics engine has gotten a complete overhaul, enough for the game to have destructible and expansive environments running on the Wii. 

Believe me when I say this, they tried really hard to get splitscreen to work, but people have to understand, it's VERY hard to get splitscreen on the Wii. Especially for a Call of Duty game. I know quite a few of you are going to say "but Conduit 2 and Goldeneye have it." Just look at the two games. Do they have the same expansive environments? Do they have the same physics? Do they have a large number of enemies on screen? The answer would quite obviously be "no." Call of Duty: Black Ops has already been shown to have huge, vast, and expansive environments that have a lot of destructibility and a lot going on within them. Do you really think the Wii could handle rendering 2-4 of that at the same time without having to tremendously dumb down the graphics/performance? Of course not. Believe it or not, they just cut splitscreen completely a little over a month ago. The Wii just couldn't handle it. 

Now while I understand that tech on the Wii is often overestimated, I still say that was not a smart move. Local multiplayer has been shown to be a true selling point for Wii games. It's ironic that the supposedly more online dependent HD games still often have full local multiplayer.

BTW, did this just apply to co-op, or competative multiplayer? If the latter is still split-screen, I could live with that. Taking it out completely would show that graphics and physics are still being put ahead of the things that truly sell games.

there will still be online co-op for the Wii version, but there will not be any form of splitscreen. So you won't be able to play zombies with a buddy alongside you, but you will be able to play zombies with your online buddies. You also won't be able to play a little Deathmatch with a buddy alongside you. So again, there won't be ANY splitscreen in the Wii version of Black Ops.

I know it's disappointing for some, but it's just the truth. This will STILL be the biggest online game the Wii has ever seen. If you thought Modern Warfare: Reflex was great, then Black Ops is going to be 2x that. Believe Treyarch when they say "this game will blow Wii owners away."

I would have bought Reflex a lot sooner than I did if it had split screen. I'm not saying I want it just because it's "disapponting" to leave it out. I'm stating it should have had it because it actually helps sell games on the Wii. This isn't some crap that only the vocal minority cares about.

This is the same crap as not marketing a Wii game and wondering why it doesn't open big.

Actually, acting as though it's not a vital thing makes me want the game even less. How dare you act as though my mentioning it would help sales is just something that disappoints me.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I have the Wii and hardly comes out of the dark, but if BLACK OPS WII pack what the HD version will have in contents, I will get it too .. in fact I will get both, the Xbox and wii versions.

I really dont care about split screen features on Xbox games more less a game for the Wii, I'm more interested playing online co-op or multiplayer with my buddies .

I can see it now, Black Ops will sell a ton on the wii..

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

Crazybone126 said:

i dont care a whole lot for split-screen so that isnt that big of a deal to me. im glad to hear all this(especially happy that ive been proven wrong about my original thought that Treyarch would half-ass the wii version) and, thanks to your info, this game just shot WAY up on my "do want" list.

the only thing i need to know, do you how many players is in the multiplayer? i'd imagine only 4 for zombies but what of the actuall multiplayer?

also i dont remeber hearing about Conduit 2 getting delayed...till when?

LordTheNightKnight said:
Crazybone126 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Crazybone126 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Crazybone126 said:
thekitchensink said:
Crazybone126 said:
thekitchensink said:

I would have bought Reflex a lot sooner than I did if it had split screen. I'm not saying I want it just because it's "disapponting" to leave it out. I'm stating it should have had it because it actually helps sell games on the Wii. This isn't some crap that only the vocal minority cares about.

This is the same crap as not marketing a Wii game and wondering why it doesn't open big.

Actually, acting as though it's not a vital thing makes me want the game even less. How dare you act as though my mentioning it would help sales is just something that disappoints me.

I wasn't insinuating anything about you, nor did I mention anything about you. I also didn't mention anything about sales. All Call of Duty titles on the Wii have each sold over a million copies, I think people buy Call of Duty games because of the name itself. I know splitscreen is a selling point for Wii games, but it has never been a selling point for a Call of Duty game, and that goes for every console. It's just very difficult to get splitscreen to work on the Wii without having to cut even more crucial things out, like they did in World at War. World at War was missing an entire level from the campaign, and truthfully only had two modes. Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. When I said it's "disappointing," I meant that in a very sympathetic and apologetic manner to Wii owners because you guys miss out on stuff, and your sales get a little crippled. I was saying that to everyone, not just to you. No matter what, Call of Duty on the Wii has always sold well over one million units, so it's performing damn well without splitscreen, and turning quite a profit for Activision. No offense, but people who always want splitscreen kind of are in the minority. Go to a Playstation or Xbox forum and very rarely will you find somebody clamoring for splitscreen multiplayer in a video game. They care mostly about single player online multiplayer games and as you can see from the people who commented above me, my statement is kind of true. They have other consoles and they don't care about splitscreen. In the modern gaming age, splitscreen is sort of just a "tack-on" now. It's no longer a necessity. Wii owners are kind of still stuck in the past. Again, I was in no way trying to offend you, hell, I was hardly speaking directly to you, I was generalizing for everyone. 

To the fellow above me: At the moment, we may see 12 players online for the Wii. Notice that each year the player count has always been bumped up a notch.

Around the Network
Crazybone126 said:

I wasn't insinuating anything about you, nor did I mention anything about you. I also didn't mention anything about sales. All Call of Duty titles on the Wii have each sold over a million copies, I think people buy Call of Duty games because of the name itself. I know splitscreen is a selling point for Wii games, but it has never been a selling point for a Call of Duty game, and that goes for every console. It's just very difficult to get splitscreen to work on the Wii without having to cut even more crucial things out, like they did in World at War. World at War was missing an entire level from the campaign, and truthfully only had two modes. Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. When I said it's "disappointing," I meant that in a very sympathetic and apologetic manner to Wii owners because you guys miss out on stuff, and your sales get a little crippled. I was saying that to everyone, not just to you. No matter what, Call of Duty on the Wii has always sold well over one million units, so it's performing damn well without splitscreen, and turning quite a profit for Activision. No offense, but people who always want splitscreen kind of are in the minority. Go to a Playstation or Xbox forum and very rarely will you find somebody clamoring for splitscreen multiplayer in a video game. They care mostly about single player online multiplayer games. Again, I was in no way trying to offend you, hell, I was hardly speaking directly to you, I was generalizing for everyone. 

How do you know it has never been? Has there been a representative sample of buyers contacted and determing that split screen was not one of the determining factor in purchasing it? Or is there just an assumption that graphics and pyshics sell these games, with the correlation=causation fallacy, and that's why they are given priority?

And selling a million copies is of course good. But getting split screen would have been a big step in getting the series closer to what the HD systems have.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

@ crazybone

Dont try and argue with Lord. He knows everything and you are always wrong. According to him Conduit 2 will outsell BOwii.

Quantum of Solace Wii had Splitscreen and it sold ......oh .....oh yeah.

The wii vesion of COD has exceeded expectations and over million sold each, but what stopped them from selling a trillion copies was the lack of content over the HD consoles..like the lack of modes, maps, special features etc. and never was because they didn't include split-screen.

That was ppl complaints then, now that black Ops comes fully loaded with features, modes, maps and specially with Zombie mode this time around, now the complaint is the lack of split-screen?  jeez!

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

uno said:

@ crazybone

Dont try and argue with Lord. He knows everything and you are always wrong. According to him Conduit 2 will outsell BOwii.

Being in the gaming media, I witness mean and rude people daily. All of those mean and rude people are mostly at Activision. Thanks for the heads up about Lord, Uno. Much appreciated.

It's very apparent that the only reason Call of Duty has sold well is because of the big marketing push Activision has and the fact that it has the deepest online multiplayer on a home console. So people will buy a Call of Duty game just by name, just as people will buy a Halo game just by name. Nowhere in any of the Press Releases Activision has does it mention anything about some "Robust Splitscreen experience" simply because nobody cares about it on the HD Consoles. Now go to Goldeneye's press release and that's one of the first things mentioned. It's because people who own Wiis always cry for splitscreen. So, Lord, that's how I know it's NOT the main focus for a Call of Duty game. They do Press Releases for a reason, so us in the gaming press can know what's being focused on most.  

Crazybone126 said:
uno said:

@ crazybone

Being in the gaming media, I witness mean and rude people daily. All of those mean and rude people are mostly at Activision. Thanks for the heads up about Lord, Uno. Much appreciated. 

I didn't claim Coinduit 2 would outsell this game. The game still has to be good first.

And I'm not going "I'm always right", nor am I against Activision. While I don't agree with things they did, I find they are one of the smarter companies this generation, especially with keeping budgets and development in line.

Plus I presented a valid question. Has there been a poll of customers to determine if splitscreen was a selling factor or not? Considering the money for these games, finding out it is, but neglecting it, will cost in the long run. If it isn't, okay, but it has to be properly determined or not. And this is statistics, which is important to business.

"It's very apparent that the only reason Call of Duty has sold well is because of the big marketing push Activision has and the fact that it has the deepest online multiplayer on a home console. So people will buy a Call of Duty game just by name, just as people will buy a Halo game just by name. Nowhere in any of the Press Releases Activision has does it mention anything about some "Robust Splitscreen experience" simply because nobody cares about it on the HD Consoles. Now go to Goldeneye's press release and that's one of the first things mentioned. It's because people who own Wiis always cry for splitscreen. So, Lord, that's how I know it's NOT the main focus for a Call of Duty game. They do Press Releases for a reason, so us in the gaming press can know what's being focused on most. "

Press releases just tell the gaming media, not the public. Plus marketing still only works for the first week or so (and did the marketing every really focus on multiplayer, online or off?). Word of mouth matters after that, and the CoD games have legs.

So using those things only proves that the press releases and marketing focus on those, not whether people buy or don't buy the game because of those. FF games have horrible legs, but from the press releases and marketing, you would think they should sell even better numbers, instead of just balooning budgets and development time.