By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Steve claims iPod touch 'outsells Nintendo and Sony combined'

mai said:

Ingmar said:

Apple's comments at their keynote are as irrelevant or relevant as Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft's comments e.g. about npd data.

The iOS devices are imho indeed a threat to Nintendo and Sony regarding mobile gaming.

No, they aren't. But recent Reggie's comments about DS games as "full meals" compared to whatever found on iOS are indeed irrelevant.

That's a whole different topic, the comparison though is bullocks, just give us numbers.

In other words, I feel that the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad platform has really picked up. It's no longer just low class mobile developers who are only there because they aren't good enough to develop for DS/PSP. These are fairly high end games.

Then in the not-so-distant future there is this:

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

mai said:

Ingmar said:

Apple's comments at their keynote are as irrelevant or relevant as Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft's comments e.g. about npd data.

The iOS devices are imho indeed a threat to Nintendo and Sony regarding mobile gaming.

No, they aren't. But recent Reggie's comments about DS games as "full meals" compared to whatever found on iOS are indeed irrelevant.

That's a whole different topic, the comparison though is bullocks, just give us numbers.

In other words, I feel that the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad platform has really picked up. It's no longer just low class mobile developers who are only there because they aren't good enough to develop for DS/PSP. These are fairly high end games.

Then in the not-so-distant future there is this:

im own sad owner of SF4 .It uses Super nintendos Killer instinct tech(2d sprites rendered from 3d pictures). Low production values, only 8 characters , frame all over the place.A low budget abomination if anything.

intro94 said:

im own sad owner of SF4 .It uses Super nintendos Killer instinct tech(2d sprites rendered from 3d pictures). Low production values, only 8 characters , frame all over the place.A low budget abomination if anything.

Absolutely, and it's even sadder when you look at SSFIV 3D with graphics that are genuinely comparable to the HD versions, the full suite of characters, real online functionality, good controls, and of course 3D..

Maybe but imo its by far not the same market.

A lot of people which bought the Ipod Touch would never even think of buying PSP or NDS as an alternative because they arent looking for a real gaming device. 

For me they are mostly not in the same market. Ipod is a music/video/Internet device FIRST and gaming device second. And PSP/DS are gaming devices first and the rest second.

If you want play intense games like God of War ,GTA or Mario, Zelda you need a real gaming device. Mini games on the go are a thing for Ipod/phone. Aslong as Apple doesnt work out a real solution for the buttons without destroying the design they will never compete with the PSP.

Ofcourse they share some parts of the market with Nintendo because of the touch interface for example educational games cooking games puzzle games and so on. People who would buy a DS for things like that could also end up with a Ipod touch. 

And Staples has sold more paper clips than Apple, Sony, and Nintendo combined.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
Netyaroze said:

Maybe but imo its by far not the same market.

A lot of people which bought the Ipod Touch would never even think of buying PSP or NDS as an alternative because they arent looking for a real gaming device. 

For me they are mostly not in the same market. Ipod is a music/video/Internet device FIRST and gaming device second. And PSP/DS are gaming devices first and the rest second.

If you want play intense games like God of War ,GTA or Mario, Zelda you need a real gaming device. Mini games on the go are a thing for Ipod/phone. Aslong as Apple doesnt work out a real solution for the buttons without destroying the design they will never compete with the PSP.

Ofcourse they share some parts of the market with Nintendo because of the touch interface for example educational games cooking games puzzle games and so on. People who would buy a DS for things like that could also end up with a Ipod touch. 

I think its too late for that because they already are, this is not about making smartphones playing Games this is about making Games that play on smartphones, Today Making a Smart phone Game that is just as graphic and as indepth as any dedicated Game handheld is not this issue, it's like you stated the physic control's which is why Many smartphone manuf. are already looking to add those type of control's to the smartphone for instance on the same token was that not something like was said about the Wii?

with in reguards to it's new control scheme..when it comes to physical therapy!

many people stated it's just a toy they did not think about the fitness games coming out for the Wii to perform in that area in the medical field..and in many cases there is Wii's now in place in nursing care places for the resident's to use the Wii for physical therapy.

just because one device is not completely dedicated to an area does not mean its any less of a viable solution to be in the same market.

I Think that's the big problem in saying that the Iphone is not a game Handheld or any smatphone for that matter because what the I idea of a game handheld is something to play games as it's priority, the problem Even the Entire What you would call a game handheld does not do just that anymore.

Just like their big counterparts there is no longer just a game console anymore the same is also happening in the Handheld game sector, because many people want multi use devices, into today's market the value of your product includes what it can do among it's price and its functional design.

more consumer's are aware of this moreso than maybe 20 years ago there has been quite a number of enhancement's , way to many to list in electronic's that many consumer's are once again very aware of.

It's no longer about the product that does this single thing, it's more about this product does this and also these function's included in your price. Many consumer's look exactly for that functionality or what the product does on a whole.

The more advanced functionality that consumer's learn to use in everyday  life is also helping with the awareness level of other devices function's , which makes it exceedingly hard for a device to just sell to the consumer with just one function being the only one.

most new car's contain electronics that help not only with direction's or you can get portible direction's for your car but all the GPS's contain more function's into today's GPS devices that having nothing to do with Direction's, movie viewing in many cases, mp3 capability , picture sideshowing , note taking and even some that allow 3G connectivity with net appliance use.

the dedicated GPS for your car is not the Main device anymore the multi-use GPS is ,now that does not mean the dedicated one is anyless of a valuable solution to the main market anymore or it's anyless than it would be otherwise, but in my opinion what is true i think is the Awarness of multi-use product devices are more noticed by the consumer and what that device offer's with many consumer's now than say 19 year's ago, which mean's unless your product does more than just a single function it's going to be much harder to sell your product.

Now this mainly does not effect say as an example of Nintendo right now, but in the Near future it may, because we already know how the effects are with Nintendo's handheld market to anyother company that has directly challenged that hand held game market that Nintendo has almost completely dominated. yes there is other devices but Nintendo is and has been for a very long  time while very strong in that market there is more recently in the market less of a direct challence by a single handheld device but many devices an they are from the smartphone market.

but let's take a look at what has happened recently as a projected market in say 4 year's time IF and i do mean IF there is more Smartphones with Hand held game control's added to smartphones, and many device makers make one of their or more of their smartphones with handheld game control's to their production line of phones or other smart entertainment devices like a digital music player..what happened's than if there is many devices that operate with function's duplicating as a dedicated handheld does for it's control method. the only thing in most cases that would be missing is the Games right?

but let's take that further , what type of games could be made for such devices?

right now in most smartphones their Hardware pretty much outperforms the current dedicated handheld game system's performance hardware. Because processor's for smartphone's are more robust along with the fact there is dedicated GPU or dsp's inside those very same smartphones, so why would you need a dedicated GPU/DSP inside something that is geared toward communication? Mind you that the smartphone also contains 3D acceleration in it's software development, with it's main target is Games!

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

The PSP hasn't really been a serious competitor for nearly three years. iOS App Store is indeed the current #2 handheld gaming platform behind the DS. Though the markets are still too different to really interfere with one and other too much. If it wasn't for the 3DS, the App Store might be a direct competitor fairly soon.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I was also very skepticle about the iPhone/iPod gaming capabilities. But having played Chaos Rings, Plants vs Zombies, downloaded a couple Final Fnatasy titles and had the opportunity to replay Shining Force and Phantasy Star 2 for literally 3 bucks a piece with instant, anytime saves i dont care what anyone says the devices can play good quality games and its great because even a game like Angry Birds is fun and addicting, its no different than a Wii sports title, its shallow perhaps, but fun and inexpensive.

Whethe rpeople like it or not, there are great games on my iPhone and because of the convenience and pricing of those games it has made me sell my PSP and never look back.

@steverhcp02: I agree 100%! I, too, sold my PSP and DS and am totally satisfied with an iPhone as a mobile gaming platform.

Petrol outsells all Apple products combined!

Seriously, this comparison is both fake and pointless.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective