By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Steve claims iPod touch 'outsells Nintendo and Sony combined'

Sephiroth357 said:
Seece said:

I wonder how much the Touch would have sold if it did gaming only ...

ya.

The DS and PSP do gaming only?

? I didn't say that.

They sell primarily (95% plus) probably higher, because they're gaming handhelds.

Who buys a PSP soley for the medi functionality :-S

Around the Network

Not sure if you guys mentioned but the title and article are wrong.

He didn't say iPod, he said iOS have sold more games than anyone else. Slightly different and potentially correct.

Seece said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Seece said:

ya.

? I didn't say that.

They sell primarily (95% plus) probably higher, because they're gaming handhelds.

It came off like you did.

Actually I so happen to have a PSP with no games.

It makes sense. They address the wider market that Sony had hoped to tap with the PSP. In some ways it shows how the PSP has failed to catch on more than anything else as the PSP is the more comparable out of the DS / PSP to iOS devices.

Tease.

superchunk said:

He didn't say iPod, he said iOS have sold more games than anyone else. Slightly different and potentially correct.

No, he said 'just on the iPod Touch'.

Around the Network
ph4nt said:

I expect iphone /ipod touch to easily surpass DS sales because they are more mainstream devices.

EVERYBODY has a cell phone, pretty much EVERYBODY has some form of music player. So out of all those units sold, how many were sold to play games? 0. how many DS were sold to play games? 132 million. 1.5 billion downloads also includes everything free. When you start to factor in how much of that software is music, videos, gimmicky apps, free games, or $! games, you realize that there isn't much money to be had for a serious game developer. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendogs alone has made more revune than the entire app store.

There is more money to be had on a dedicated gaming device.

exactly, i was looking for a post with my thoughts to save me time. It would be banal(easy AND cheap for them) to Ninty to add cellphone capabilities to the 3ds. Why they arent?because the markets are entirely different.They arent sellign cellphones that play games.That would distract their market of their core objective. And they wouldnt make more money.They want to diferentiate them  from a side-gaming system. A system that does gaming with resources not devoted to that, not really prepared to do solid gaming, because consumers KNOW that.

Basically,if you get games for the ipad is the same reason you get mini games on your mid range cellphones.To kill a bit of time here and then when waiting for your order.You arent really buying the iphones mainly for that. if you think we are, you are delusional.

When you buy Resident evil 5 for 3ds(example) you pay 40-50 dollar for a full retail experience.You get the system to get several big games.It has an entirely different revenue system, an entirely different budget and entirely different development times.In that way, its similar to the PSP, with bigger teams budgets ,resources, schedules.

This kind of PR talk is just trying to equate systems that are better recognized with gaming and gain some of their reputation.He knows his system is really not suited for complete gaming, but hed like investors not to notice.

Sephiroth357 said:
Seece said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Seece said:

ya.

? I didn't say that.

the dsi lite only does gaming.Only the DSI allows some mini apps that arent strickly gaming.You think some people buys the DSI because of the 1 dollar clock?Maybe you..but we can asume that not the norm.

Ingmar said:
superchunk said:

No the article is saying that he said that, I was watching the conference live and he did not say 'just ipod touch'.

intro94 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Seece said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Seece said:

ya.

? I didn't say that.

the dsi lite only does gaming.Only the DSI allows some mini apps that arent strickly gaming.You think some people buys the DSI because of the 1 dollar clock?Maybe you..but we can asume that not the norm.

You can watch TV, movies and listen to music on your DS Lite.  You can also add an Internet broswer.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

superchunk said:
Ingmar said:
superchunk said:

No the article is saying that he said that, I was watching the conference live and he did not say 'just ipod touch'.

I don't remember any quotes that either iPod Touch or iOS "have sold more games than anyone else," but the assertion that Apple had over 50% of portable game player marketshare and the mentioned 1.5 billion games and entertainment downloads were specific to iPod Touch. No iPhones or iPads included.

He's pretty explicit that he's talking about just the iPod Touch here:

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.