By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Many Types of Gamers: Which Are You?

I am the type that kicks your ass get it's ass kicked no matter how much you've gottent better at X game, you just see a Youtube video and stop trying to get better because there is some crazy nerd that plays the game like breaths.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

all rounder / elitist

I guess you can call me a cheap competitive, all rounder, to some extent casual gamer. My play time is consistently about 5-10 hours per week, but I don't care for games that don't challenge me. I'm also a fanboy for lack of funds.

Cheap(some might even say financially wise/content) gamer should have been a category branching off of casual. I don't want to buy a DS b/c pokemon yellow still serves me just fine. I wait until ~two years after the console has been out to decide if I want to buy it. By that time there will likely have been a price cut and more great gmes will be on the market. On occassion I buy a used game via craigslist/ebay, much to the dissapproval of some on this site.

Completionist should have also been a category with the advent of acheivements/trophies and games like Super Mario Galaxy2, Crackdown, the timesplitters series that offer ample amounts of collectables. It can be a way to squeeze every drop out of a game, or simply just a challenge. They've been around since I've been playing games...Super Mario World to my knowledge was one of the pioneers in this category.

Late Bloomer-someone who plays a bunch of games from the previous generation and isn't in any hurry to upgrade...or financially isn't in a position to. I know a few of these.

Sampler/ranker-someone who plays many games from the current gen or past gen for the purpose of sampling, ranking, reminicising the system and the games.

Eb and flow hardcore- Perhaps during the summer months, or when work is not particullarily busy. Someone who can play non-stop for a given time then take an extended break altogether. I know a few people who got CODed out for a while.

Series loyalist-someone who primarily plays a certain series ie COD, Halo, Zelda.

I'm fairly all rounded, but most of my games fall into the JRPG, Platformer and Action-Adventure genres.

I'm a Mario/Zelda/Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest loyalist

I'm a little bit of a classic gamer, but mainly for the 16bit era, which is strange as I grew up in the 64/128 bit era 

i consider myself to be an offline gamer. considering i have crappy internet i almost never play online. and my favorite games are only single player games.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

i'm the type who dearly loves gaming without being any good at it

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I'm sort of the Japan-is-games! kind of gamer...

Classic/casual/all rounder

Classic gamer here............

Now I feel old :(

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Hm interesting article and I guess I am an All Rounder by the looks of it :P